BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

55 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

So I’m assuming all those SBS XD40s will be reverted back to local service. This would probably be the end of the 2005 Orion VII’s at LGA which there aren’t that many of them there anyways. 

There's more of those Orion VIIs than LGLink XD40s. There's 27 at LGA.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Heard that's delayed.

I posted this before reading about the spring picks being postponed, so I wouldnt br surprised

38 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Can the Q70 even do that tight turn into the 74th St terminal with artics?

If they use the same bay right now, I'm guessing it wouldnt be an issue. Plus artics ran on the route recently. 

56 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

artics have shown up repeatedly on the sbs Q70 in various situations. btw, any bus operator worth his/her salary won't ever have a problem making that turn into (or out of) that terminal bay (i doubt they'd alter it for safety reasons). if you stick to your training, PAY ATTENTION and set up your spacing properly, that turn is a piece of cake (relatively speaking) if you DON'T rush 'em. that's when you invite problems upon yourself. 

14 hours ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

I thought it was best to issue a trivia quiz of my own design. It also includes a few trivia questions on bus routes as well as transit history, but most of it centers around the subway. There were a few questions I had to change around, but I hope you guys have fun with this.

Here's the link: https://forms.gle/m8T4ciyFuc8bBgqA6

Good job! I did pretty terribly, though

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Yes, artics have ran on the Q70.

The turning radius for the artics is much better than their 40ft counterparts, seeing as the bus is 35ft in the front and 25ft in the back.

Edited by Cait Sith

2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Yes, artics have ran on the Q70.

The turning radius for the artics is much better than their 40ft counterparts, seeing as the bus is 35ft in the front and 25ft in the back.

For New Flyer artics. Nova LFS artics have the same turning radius as their rigid counterparts, as the forward wheelbase is 244 inches, same as the LFS rigid.

1 hour ago, aemoreira81 said:

For New Flyer artics. Nova LFS artics have the same turning radius as their rigid counterparts, as the forward wheelbase is 244 inches, same as the LFS rigid.

Until LGA gets Nova Artics, let us know, because I'm pretty sure that everyone here knows that LGA doesn't have Nova Artics.....

9 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

artics have shown up repeatedly on the sbs Q70 in various situations. btw, any bus operator worth his/her salary won't ever have a problem making that turn into (or out of) that terminal bay (i doubt they'd alter it for safety reasons). if you stick to your training, PAY ATTENTION and set up your spacing properly, that turn is a piece of cake (relatively speaking) if you DON'T rush 'em. that's when you invite problems upon yourself. 

Also, until COVID-19 hit, artics on the Q70 were actually a regular occurrence. As many as 3 would appear on the line in the PM.

15 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

This was taken two weeks ago. I gotta say I like seeing these artics on the Q70.

IMG_5326 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

they should've use those 13 NYCT XD60s for the Q70 SBS until they get a new batch of artics for the Q70. Wrapping 13 2020 XD60s in the LGA Link wrap, and using 2020 and 2017 XD60s on the Q53 just triggers my OCD. And that yellow under the LGA Link wrap is irking me. They clearly know the bottom portion of the bus is wrapped in the local scheme with the SBS paint undernearth. They could've just took the yellow off the back so the light blue can show under the LGA Link wrap (unless those 2020 XD60s aren't staying on the Q70).  

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

1 minute ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

they should've use those 13 NYCT XD60s for the Q70 SBS until they get a new batch of artics for the Q70. Wrapping 13 2020 XD60s in the LGA Link wrap, and using 2020 and 2017 XD60s on the Q53 just triggers my OCD. And that yellow under the LGA Link wrap is irking me. They clearly know the bottom portion of the bus is wrapped in the local scheme with the SBS wrap. They could've just took the yellow off the back so the light blue and show under the LGA Link wrap (unless those 2020 XD60s aren't staying on the Q70).  

MTA always pulling a Bx12 and swapping out fleets...

2 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

MTA always pulling a Bx12 and swapping out fleets...

honestly...although I think the Q70 SBS should be a people mover type SBS bus. They should remove some more seats on those buses. Them buses can get pretty crammed with all the luggage regardless of size. So if they do manage to get another batch of buses, they should spec them to automatically come with luggage racks and possibly bench seating on the lower portion for flexibility and mobility. 

3 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

And that yellow under the LGA Link wrap is irking me. They clearly know the bottom portion of the bus is wrapped in the local scheme with the SBS paint undernearth. They could've just took the yellow off the back so the light blue can show under the LGA Link wrap (unless those 2020 XD60s aren't staying on the Q70).  

They shouldn't have even wrapped them IMO. Just make some LaGuardia Link stickers with the plane logo and put them on the bus roughly where the select bus service stickers are placed on other buses.

On 3/23/2020 at 9:34 PM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

they should've use those 13 NYCT XD60s for the Q70 SBS until they get a new batch of artics for the Q70. Wrapping 13 2020 XD60s in the LGA Link wrap, and using 2020 and 2017 XD60s on the Q53 just triggers my OCD. And that yellow under the LGA Link wrap is irking me. They clearly know the bottom portion of the bus is wrapped in the local scheme with the SBS paint undernearth. They could've just took the yellow off the back so the light blue can show under the LGA Link wrap (unless those 2020 XD60s aren't staying on the Q70).  

Too bad they didn’t order more buses for MTA bus with this order. If they ordered more buses they wouldn’t have to keep those 2017 XD60s at LGA. 
Plus I know it’s been on the table for a while for a possible Q6 and Q64 conversion so it makes me wonder why it hasn’t been a priority. 

Lot of interesting new layovers showing up since all the buses are running so hot. I won't name all the spots since I'm not so sure dispatchers are in favor of it, but I'm seeing a few places near the end of the line where B/Os are pulling over and shutting off their engines, then restarting and heading to the terminals.

2 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Lot of interesting new layovers showing up since all the buses are running so hot. I won't name all the spots since I'm not so sure dispatchers are in favor of it, but I'm seeing a few places near the end of the line where B/Os are pulling over and shutting off their engines, then restarting and heading to the terminals.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh keep it on the low low .. lol