BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

With the Q53 going to CP, that's a long DH from CP to Woodside and Rockaway Park.

From Woodside it's not that far.

That makes me wonder, how far away is LGA from CP? And aren't they a short highway ride apart from each other? 

Oh, and I remember when The College of SI had the older buses... Were those gilligs? I vaguely remember them.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Woodside it's not that far.

That makes me wonder, how far away is LGA from CP? And aren't they a short highway ride apart from each other?

I think it's the Van Wyck to Astoria Blvd.

- The distance b/w LGA & CP is one thing...

- The added DH mileage of the Q53 from CP, compared to that of the Q53 from LGA is quite another....

With that said, to get from LGA to CP isn't all that far... the problem is that it's not direct....

This whole winter pick thing to me is backwards. CP should get the Q49 and Q23 instead of the Q53. LGA doesn't need to take on anymore routes so the Q19 should be staying at CP. Perhaps we may see an improvement since it's losing one of its biggest routes.

Why would they get those two lines? The reason the 53 is being given up in place of the Q19 is because of the fact that the Q19 requires the second-most least amount of buses in LGA's lineup of buses next to the Q70. The Q53 and I believe the Q23 are the two that requires almost the highest amount of buses but I think the Q53 requires more than the Q23. Giving up a line that requires a lot of buses = higher spare factor for the depot.

With the Q53 going to LGA, I personally think that it would make more sense to have certain trips drop out at Queens Center (or require a change of buses at Queens Center) to reduce costs. The deadhead would be via the Horace Harding Expressway and Van Wyck Expressways.

If not allowed, future contracts should have a potential change in buses to be built into the schedule so that a bus can deadhead from the middle of the route and reduce the turnaround time. That is, Bus A would deadhead from the garage and arrive at a certain spot on the route and wait for Bus B to pull up behind it. Bus B would then discharge its passengers onto Bus A, Bus A would then begin service, and Bus B would go to the garage.

Edited by aemoreira81

Man, the day Q23 stops beating on the Q67...

The motherf****r is out still, likely being serviced on still.

Yeahh, I haven't seen it since that time i took the photo in July. It didn't even get in a accident, it shouldn't be taking this long. I say just give it a regular engine like the rest and call it the day. 

Yeahh, I haven't seen it since that time i took the photo in July. It didn't even get in a accident, it shouldn't be taking this long. I say just give it a regular engine like the rest and call it the day. 

If only. I'm sure it's a major pain in the ass to work on, with having to do so many internal altercations.

On the plus side, when it comes back it'll handle like new.

ok so its confirmed that the Q19 is going back to LGA but the Q53 is going to College Point

but, im guessing 637-658 used for the Q29/72 wont be in need after the 1st day of the winter pick since the Q53 will be at College Point 

You do realize that the loaned C40LF's are used on other LGA routes besides the Q29 and Q72 routes.

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Tapatalk

You do realize that the loaned C40LF's are used on other LGA routes besides the Q29 and Q72 routes.

yes, i know but i mean since the Q53 is moving to College Point, the loaned C40LFs (637-657) wont need to be in use for extras for the Q29/72 and other LGA routes with the 53 moving during the winter pick

With the Q53 going to LGA, I personally think that it would make more sense to have certain trips drop out at Queens Center (or require a change of buses at Queens Center) to reduce costs. The deadhead would be via the Horace Harding Expressway and Van Wyck Expressways.

If not allowed, future contracts should have a potential change in buses to be built into the schedule so that a bus can deadhead from the middle of the route and reduce the turnaround time. That is, Bus A would deadhead from the garage and arrive at a certain spot on the route and wait for Bus B to pull up behind it. Bus B would then discharge its passengers onto Bus A, Bus A would then begin service, and Bus B would go to the garage.

i think they will have only 1 run off from woodside because it would be the cheaper one  as seen here on the maps

(had to delete links)

Edited by BreeddekalbL

Not this (about the RTS w/ the cushioned seating), but a lot of what's said on this forum lets me know I'm gettin up there in age....

What's a "fishbowl"... What's a "redbird".... We had subway lines that had double letters.... The list goes on....

Thanks for the justification, especially when I see that Blitz is only 2 years older than me.  <_<

Though yes, I've caught them plenty of times on the B3 back in my teen years.

Fail!

MILFORD DR/OCEAN TERR

Routes available:

S53 Port Richmond - Bay Ridge

via Verrazano-Narrows Bridge / Clove Rd

to BAY RIDGE 86 ST STA

to PT RICHMOND
    No scheduled service for the S53 to PT RICHMOND at this time.

S74 St. George - Bricktown Mall

via Richmond Rd / Arthur Kill Rd

to BRICKTOWN MALL
    No scheduled service for the S74 to BRICKTOWN MALL at this time.

to ST GEORGE FERRY

S78 St. George - Bricktown Mall

via Hylan Blvd

to BRICKTOWN MALL
    No scheduled service for the S78 to BRICKTOWN MALL at this time.

to ST GEORGE FERRY via HYLAN