BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Here's what's up: the heavy-use artic routes are staying artic. M14A/D, M15/SBS, M101 -- all artic. The M23, M79, M60, M102, are all running 40-footers, and in fact the Quill ones are almost entirely 40-footers. The Bx1, Bx2 -- all artic; but the Bx9, Bx15, Bx19, all 40-footers, same with the Bx12 local. 

Sandy was a mess. TU ran (on the 103) Quill LFSAs, Quill D60s, 126 LFSA (SBS and non-SBS), MHV NGs, TU's own OGs...everything.

I'd like to say that I saw an OG on the M101 today going south to Cooper Union at 23 street, while on the BM2.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ENY seems right for the B62 thinking about the JG routes back in the old days...

I was leaning more towards thinking it came out of JG, since today's 43 (which was formed from the old 62) was out of JG before it eventually ended up where it is now (at grand)...... But for some reason, I could have sworn remember seeing B62's running w/ ENY decals as well.... That's why I think/thought the route may have been split......

Why did I think the old 62 came from Fresh Pond?

Because a number of the downtown-ridgewood routes come from FP (with which the old 62 happened to have went downtown)?

IDK.....

Beats me... I can't recall it ever coming from there.

old B62 from FP? Neither do I....

The old B62 came from Crosstown depot

ok, but after that depot closed sometime in the 80's, where did that rendition of the B62 operate out of?

Seems to me that Fresh Pond, East New York and Ulmer Park had a lot of routes in those days...

I was thinking the same thing in my prior reply in this thread (regarding ENY)....

So I'm sitting back kicking it with some old childhood friends (50+ years friendship) and a few younger family and friends. The subject of Brooklyn and bus transportation came up and I noticed we older folks called buses by street name, rather than numbers. Even when the BK streets became one way in the mid-sixties we still used the older street names. Depending on what neighborhood we were in or where we came from. We took the Pitkin, East New York, Rockaway, Utica, Kingston, Nostrand , Ralph, or Flatbush, for example. Nobody said we took the B14, B12, B60, B46, B47, B44, B40, or B41. We rode the Franklin, Church, Fulton, Sumner, Gates, Halsey, DeKalb, Flushing, Graham and everyone knew which bus we were talking about even when the one way streets became the norm. My godchild has been a Brooklyn B/O for over 20 years and he just laughed at us when we said the only bus we called by number was the B39, the bus to Delancey St. IDK, maybe BrooklynBus might remember our generation using that terminology instead of using numbers. For instance we always called the B49 route the Rogers Avenue bus even though we knew the "official" name was Ocean Avenue. That's because we lived in  Flatbush/ Prospect-Lefferts and we always took the B49 n/b toward Bed-Stuy. Even when we rode it s/b toward Flatbush or Ocean Avenue we stil called it the "Rogers Avenue" bus because the original stops were on that street. Our electric buses were easier. We always knew where the Bergen, St Johns, Franklin, Kingston (Tompkins), for example, ran so numbers weren't needed. When the numbers were changed , for reasons only Ops & Planning know, my people still knew what buses we were talking about. B47-B43, B10-B15, B78-B47, who cares. I've asked a few retired B/Os about the route number changes and all agree on one, the B10-B15. Maybe BrooklynBus or someone else can explain the reasoning about the rest. Carry on.

So I'm sitting back kicking it with some old childhood friends (50+ years friendship) and a few younger family and friends. The subject of Brooklyn and bus transportation came up and I noticed we older folks called buses by street name, rather than numbers. Even when the BK streets became one way in the mid-sixties we still used the older street names. Depending on what neighborhood we were in or where we came from. We took the Pitkin, East New York, Rockaway, Utica, Kingston, Nostrand , Ralph, or Flatbush, for example. Nobody said we took the B14, B12, B60, B46, B47, B44, B40, or B41. We rode the Franklin, Church, Fulton, Sumner, Gates, Halsey, DeKalb, Flushing, Graham and everyone knew which bus we were talking about even when the one way streets became the norm. My godchild has been a Brooklyn B/O for over 20 years and he just laughed at us when we said the only bus we called by number was the B39, the bus to Delancey St. IDK, maybe BrooklynBus might remember our generation using that terminology instead of using numbers. For instance we always called the B49 route the Rogers Avenue bus even though we knew the "official" name was Ocean Avenue. That's because we lived in  Flatbush/ Prospect-Lefferts and we always took the B49 n/b toward Bed-Stuy. Even when we rode it s/b toward Flatbush or Ocean Avenue we stil called it the "Rogers Avenue" bus because the original stops were on that street. Our electric buses were easier. We always knew where the Bergen, St Johns, Franklin, Kingston (Tompkins), for example, ran so numbers weren't needed. When the numbers were changed , for reasons only Ops & Planning know, my people still knew what buses we were talking about. B47-B43, B10-B15, B78-B47, who cares. I've asked a few retired B/Os about the route number changes and all agree on one, the B10-B15. Maybe BrooklynBus or someone else can explain the reasoning about the rest. Carry on.
Yes, I've heard those terms from the oldtimers too... :lol:

So I'm waiting for the 1:00 Q67 at Fresh Pond today to LIC, the driver comes and just passes by without even slowing down, me being at the stop, in front of the pole. Anyways, I had a plan B, and took the Q58 to Ridgewood to take care of what I had to do.

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

I remember my very first bus ride. It was the DeKalb Ave bus back when it was a two-way street. We lived on Willoughby btn St. James and Washington. My father and I were headed home. I don't remember where we were coming from or how we got there. I can only remember looking out the back window as we were going down DeKalb. Weird.

Later we moved to Sumner Ave when it was two-way. Lived there for 2 decades. Sometimes I'd hear folks asking directions to get from one place to another..."Maaan, just walk over to Tompkins, grab the bus goin to Myrtle (Tompkins was two-way back then), catch the Myrtle downtown to the las stop then go on downstairs and catch the (A) to 14th. You can't go wrong. Oh and don't forget to getcha transfer from the driver. Lata man."

It looks like a bus depot in my bedroom lol image-2.jpg

For a second there, I thought those were those toy buses.....

Bx15 and Bx19 are remaining all 40-footers for the whole weekend. A few 40s on the Bx12, but mostly artics. Manhattan routes are all artic again.

What was said on the forums on saturday, was one reason I wanted to trek over manhattan yesterday..... I walked over the bridge (on sunday), and ended up catching the 102 over there in the 60's (don't remember what stop it was... I was just aimlessly walking b/c I was lookin for some place to eat.... started gettin nippy/chilly & said f*** it & hopped on the bus.... rode it to the last stop.... then walked from there to yankee stadium for the (D) back to brooklyn)..... Managed to see a couple (at least 4) HJ buses; said to myself, I didn't know these things ran so frequently.... Also, whilst on the 102, I saw an HJ bus that went as far north as 106th (which I found to be rather odd).....

Long story short, I wanted to see 40'-ers on the lex routes for myself......

So I'm waiting for the 1:00 Q67 at Fresh Pond today to LIC, the driver comes and just passes by without even slowing down, me being at the stop, in front of the pole. Anyways, I had a plan B, and took the Q58 to Ridgewood to take care of what I had to do.

I was over in Ridgewood & Maspeth this weekend (saturday & sunday).... Thought about taking the 67 to QBP on sunday, but I decided to take the 39 instead (and walk the bridge to manhattan)..... What I really wanted to do was take the Q58 full, but I thought better of it b/c I didn't really feel like riding back home from flushing on the 19/66 or w/e (wanted NO part of the 7).......

Anyway, smh that you got flagged from someone doing the Q67 (of all routes).... B/O's operating lowly utilized routes should be the last ones flagging pax (this is an actual peeve of mine btw..... that & when buses bunch on high headway routes)

Anyone else used to think the JFK Depot logo was the Boston Celtics logo? lol

Can't say that I have, nah... Never even thought about it (resembling the Celtics logo)....

I was over in Ridgewood & Maspeth this weekend (saturday & sunday).... Thought about taking the 67 to QBP on sunday, but I decided to take the 39 instead (and walk the bridge to manhattan)..... What I really wanted to do was take the Q58 full, but I thought better of it b/c I didn't really feel like riding back home from flushing on the 19/66 or w/e (wanted NO part of the 7).......

Anyway, smh that you got flagged from someone doing the Q67 (of all routes).... B/O's operating lowly utilized routes should be the last ones flagging pax (this is an actual peeve of mine btw..... that & when buses bunch on high headway routes)

Lol, the (7) is as basterdized with service changes as it can get.

And worse, out of all stops, I get flagged at the first stop, like I didn't know that was even possible, but hey, now I've seen it all (so to speak).

Yeah, BO's flagging people on lowly utilized routes should be the last thing to happen. The goal is to encourage ridership, not diminish ridership (I'll still remember that sunday that 3581 broke down on 43/54, and didn't send any replacement, like wtf?).

Right now on BusTime, two RTSs can be tracked on the M15 route. I am also able to track O7s on the M14 and M79. Where it can be helped, would it be a good practice to park articulated buses overnight? Is there something that precludes a mid-route bus switch? Articulated buses exist to provide additional capacity---not needed overnight.

Right now on BusTime, two RTSs can be tracked on the M15 route. I am also able to track O7s on the M14 and M79. Where it can be helped, would it be a good practice to park articulated buses overnight? Is there something that precludes a mid-route bus switch? Articulated buses exist to provide additional capacity---not needed overnight.

It's because of the snow coming in tomorrow. They did it Friday night too.

Park them at the depot. You're probably seeing all the hawks right now with those buses.

Yesterday I saw a Q37 put in to Aqueduct.

Whenever I need to take the Q46 from Parsons in the afternoon between 4PM and 4:40 PM it usually takes 10-15 minutes before the bus comes and then I see two or three buses in a row. In the meantime I usually see 5 or 6 Q46s in the other direction. The Q46 is so crowded that you have no personal space and you can barely hold onto the pile. I think the Q46 needs articulated buses.

Also, yesterday I saw a Q10 with it's normal reading then it suddenly changed to

EMERGENCY

CALL POLICE

on the back it said

Call 911

Call Cops

The bs looked perfectly normal and I think it was just a mistake.

Using Tapatalk

Also, yesterday I saw a Q10 with it's normal reading then it suddenly changed to

EMERGENCY

CALL POLICE

on the back it said

Call 911

Call Cops

The bs looked perfectly normal and I think it was just a mistake.

The switch to hit that is on the floor and drivers often hot the pedal by accident and not realize it

You set the rollsigns on the RTSes from thebfarebox. Never knew that.

You can set any bus from both the farebox and the sign up top

And you know that because? Do you travel on articulated buses overnight to know how well they're used?  I've seen the M79 for example at night... It's well used and it's smart to keep artics on those buses not only for the folks using it but for logistical purposes as well.  Why should a B/O waste time getting another bus if he can keep the artic and risk being delayed?  

You set the rollsigns on the RTSes from thebfarebox. Never knew that.

Yes, this is possible on all MTA buses. however, you can only set the signs to bus routes that are assigned to the same depot that the bus is assigned to.

thats not true

There is a video on youtube of the new 2013 MCI and towards the end the person who was filming the video switched the sign to m57 which was clearly not in the same depot as that bus whose sign got switched

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk now Free

thats not true

There is a video on youtube of the new 2013 MCI and towards the end the person who was filming the video switched the sign to m57 which was clearly not in the same depot as that bus whose sign got switched

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk now Free

That's because they used the sign controller to change it. It's only depot specific when you use the farebox, using the sign controller you can put up any sign from your company (NYCTA or MTA Bus).