BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

So all the buses in NYC have “Museum of Sex” ads on the front....

Whoever takes a pic of bunched up buses with that ad on it automatically gets a thumbs up 😆

Hahahahahahaha😆😆😆😆😆

Edited by Future ENY OP

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Whoever takes a pic of bunched up buses with that ad on it automatically gets a thumbs up 😆

20180608_200929.jpg

Does this qualify for that thumbs up?

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Question: Who drives the subway shuttle buses and whey are they dispatched from?

Its B/O's doing overtime driving the shuttles, probably some Extra list B/O's as well. Their dispatched from the same depots the regular buses run out of. There's usually a dispatcher at the terminals of the subway shuttles making sure everything runs smoothly.

Edited by trainfan22

4 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Its B/O's doing overtime driving the shuttles, probably some Extra list B/O's as well. Their dispatched from the same depots the regular buses run out of. There's usually a dispatcher at the terminals of the subway shuttles making sure everything runs smoothly.

So if a bus passes out of SI is running in Queens for a Subway shuttle, would that mean every day the B/O has to drive all the way to Queens and back?

Edited by Lil 57

31 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

So if a bus passes out of SI is running in Queens for a Subway shuttle, would that mean every day the B/O has to drive all the way to Queens and back?

No-a subway shuttle run is a one day thing. Subway shuttle runs aren't a daily schedule for a driver. An driver can elect to do overtime by driving a subway shuttle bus on his/her days off.

Today I realized that on the S78 line, the paper schedules don't match up with the bus stop schedules. For example, on Early Sunday Mornings, the paper schedule says every 30 mins while the bus stop says every hour.

On 6/8/2018 at 3:58 PM, paulrivera said:

I'm a bit late but...

https://imgur.com/a/0PXEjlH

How do you put images?

Edited by Lil 57

Is there no program for the (7) shuttle between Hudson Yards and Times Square?

On 6/9/2018 at 10:35 PM, trainfan22 said:

That reminds me, when the (1) was out and they had all those shuttle buses at 242nd St, I witnessed an MTA bus driver and a Bee Line driver screaming at each other because all those extra buses were apparently taking up so much space that Bee Line didn't have a place where to layover.

Another thing, has anyone noticed that when the (1) is out in the Bronx that there are some unscheduled Bx9 buses ending at 242nd St?

2 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Why do they do a half-assed job of replacing seats especially on older buses like D60HF’s? It makes it obvious when only a select few seats are nice and shiny and don’t have fabric on them. Does someone at the depot deem a seat to be fixed?

Depends on the depot, but I still remember those Orions out of Casey Stengel on the Q32, with entire rows of seats missing. It was hilarious.  The truth is they just care about a bus going out. If there are seat issues, well that's another issue. Not top priority. Quite frankly though, with all of the buses they have you would think they wouldn't need to send out buses like that.  Often times when they retire buses, they'll take the seats from those buses and put them onto another.

Funny thing though, of late, I've been on two Yonkers express buses that had ripped seats in the back. I'm guessing it wasn't from a passenger either given where the rips were.  Couldn't happened when they were changing the slip covers on them.

8 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Another thing, has anyone noticed that when the (1) is out in the Bronx that there are some unscheduled Bx9 buses ending at 242nd St?

That just makes the bus layover situation over there worse. And just so the beancounters can save a couple of dollars...

Rant: 

But im tired of the Rockaway parkway "terminal" I have been using it for the past few weeks and my god its so inconvenient. One that terminal was made for trolleys not buses. I found out there used to be a loop that went through an alley way for them. Second the terminal shouldn't have only open access to the B42 for a transfer. Its wastes peoples time to go around the fence to catch the bus. Also its dangerous having people walk out in front of buses and alleged traffic. Like who the hell even designed this?! It doesn't make sense at all. Thirdly the routing of the buses there don't make any sense. Why should the b6 and b82 make two loops to get to the station? I know they're rerouting them in the future but this have been done in the by now also the terminal should have been done way better to fit for buses. 

10 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Rant: 

But im tired of the Rockaway parkway "terminal" I have been using it for the past few weeks and my god its so inconvenient. One that terminal was made for trolleys not buses. I found out there used to be a loop that went through an alley way for them. Second the terminal shouldn't have only open access to the B42 for a transfer. Its wastes peoples time to go around the fence to catch the bus. Also its dangerous having people walk out in front of buses and alleged traffic. Like who the hell even designed this?! It doesn't make sense at all. Thirdly the routing of the buses there don't make any sense. Why should the b6 and b82 make two loops to get to the station? I know they're rerouting them in the future but this have been done in the by now also the terminal should have been done way better to fit for buses. 

Yeah, that terminal is a bit too small and yes I agree that loop thing that B6/B82 does there is ridiculous. Hopefully, the SBS buses coming in will get rid of that

2 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

They go to be decommissioned at Eastchester depot.

They sit there and get cannibalized for parts, etc, but they are actually scrapped somewhere else, one place is Garshaw in Long Island, they tear the bus apart with a big ass tractor.

Video below is an example of what they do

Usually a Tow truck take them from ECH to the scrap yard.

On 5/16/2018 at 10:03 PM, B35 via Church said:

Speaking of short turns....

I eventually got fed up with waiting for a Q69/Q100 towards QBP this past saturday (about a 15 min. wait), so I walked from after getting off the Q19 (Astoria Blvd/21st) over to 30th/21st to try my luck w/ the Q102 it paid off.... It was waiting at a red, so all I had to do was cross the street.... Along the way, there were four Astoria bound Q102's that passed by in the other direction within a 7 minute span..... Two of those four buses had the 30th/31st short turn destination sign..... Thought to myself, since when did the 102 short turn at the 30th av (N)(W) station..... Don't know wth happened elsewhere along the line, but I was saying to myself, I lucked the f**** out catching this SB 102.....

Point I'm pretty much getting at is, I'm seeing quite a bit of never before seen (AFAIC anyway) short turns on the destination signage on some of these routes as of the past year or so....

The Q102 having a short turn at 30 Av (N)(W) station? That's news to me. I always the Q102 had a rare short turn at Queens Plaza

9 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

The Q102 having a short turn at 30 Av (N)(W) station? That's news to me. I always the Q102 had a rare short turn at Queens Plaza

That's the additional Q102 service the MTA is providing to compensate for the ESI thing going on with the (N) and (W) .