BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

Is there any 1990-1994 RTSs still on the road?

I believe Gleason has a 1990 (#0007) that goes out once in a while as a MetroCard sales bus. But as far as passenger service goes, no. 

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

The metrocard bus has a schedule? lol..... I always thought their presence throughout the city had no rhyme or reason to it; random.......

Good to know.

Yes they do and it sucks. There's supposedly a MetroCard bus near me in Riverdale every Wednesday. I've been living here for years and I think I've been around once or twice when the bus was out there. One Wednesday morning I was walking towards Henry Hudson Parkway and saw one heading south towards Johnson Avenue which is where it parks at. It's basically for seniors and people who aren't mobile. This new system can't come fast enough. I used to be able to get Metrocards from a store. I would call them up before going there because it's a bit of an adventure since they only take cash. Now I don't even bother because they never have the Express bus pass, and of late, they've been out of everything, so I just prepare myself for a long walk to 242nd or 231st and hope a machine works.

I just watched the CBS News at 11 PM. They did a news piece about those Museum of Sex ads that are on the front of the buses saying that they are causing problem in the city, such as female drivers of the buses with the ads getting harassed.

Any opinions on this?

Edited by JeremiahC99

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I just watched the CBS News at 11 PM. They did a news piece about those Museum of Sex ads that are on the front of the buses saying that they are causing problem in the city, such as female drivers of the buses with the ads getting harassed.

Any opinions on this?

in all my years, I've never heard so many customers vocally express their displeasure with these ads, and as far as i know, female b/o's absolutely hate the ads

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Any opinions on this?

According to WABC-TV, those ads will be coming off of all buses that have them (some buses still have VIM/YMI Jeans ads). The museum has threatened a lawsuit; however, this could become a test of Miller v. California.

Edited by aemoreira81

32 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Who even approved this ad anyways? We already know lots of people get dirty minds just for reading the word sex.

The city has been on a Hot Plate ever since (MTA) put up those ads on the front. Supposedly 2 weeks are left of the campaign, but I really do agree on who agreed to put them up. June 2018 Board Meeting: New Rule! Ban anything that has the word sex in it.

7 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Who even approved this ad anyways? We already know lots of people get dirty minds just for reading the word sex.

Someone at Outfront Media (formerly CBS Outdoor, Viacom Outdoor, Infinity Outdoor, and TDI/Transportation Displays Inc.), which has the advertising contract for the MTA. (They used to have the contract for NICE and Bee Line as well, but they switched to Gateway Outdoor.) One version of that company, along with Outfront predecessor Gannett Transit, acquired by Infinity Outdoor, or Van Wagner, acquired by CBS Outdoor, has had the ad contract since at least the 1960s except for 2007-2010 when it was Titan (now owned by Alphabet, Inc., parent of Google). The name change to Outfront was when CBS did a partial spinoff before a later full spinoff.

Also, did you know that all political ads have been banned from MTA vehicles and stations since about 2014?

Edited by aemoreira81

31 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

Someone at Outfront Media (formerly CBS Outdoor, Viacom Outdoor, Infinity Outdoor, and TDI/Transportation Displays Inc.), which has the advertising contract for the MTA. (They used to have the contract for NICE and Bee Line as well, but they switched to Gateway Outdoor.) One version of that company, along with Outfront predecessor Gannett Transit, acquired by Infinity Outdoor, or Van Wagner, acquired by CBS Outdoor, has had the ad contract since at least the 1960s except for 2007-2010 when it was Titan (now owned by Alphabet, Inc., parent of Google). The name change to Outfront was when CBS did a partial spinoff before a later full spinoff.

Also, did you know that all political ads have been banned from MTA vehicles and stations since about 2014?

Noticed that Gateway Outdoor does advertising for smaller markets. Haven't seen a full bus wrap with NICE in a while. Most or less since the recent XD40 bus order they received.

11 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Any opinions on this?

The video if anyone wants to see it: https://youtu.be/aiHLF1tinzk

The adds should be moving towards the back of the bus for the last 2 weeks of the campaign.

14 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Any opinions on this?

Yes, and I can sum it up in two words....

Fake Outrage.

54 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

Except it was drivers complaining...and the MTA was furious with Akademiks in 2004 when Akademiks ran an ad with the tag line: Read Books. Get Brain. (Of course, no one at the MTA knew what "getting brain" really meant.)

It wasn't only drivers complaining.... But since you bring it up, I'm not buying for a second that there's any quantifiable phenomena of female b/o's getting hit on, causing safety concerns, due to some ad.... I wouldn't put it past some female b/o that morally disapproves of the ad to conjure up a false narrative indicative of rape culture.....

Mighty funny how this wasn't a problem worth publicizing before these ads came about - like female b/o's weren't getting hit on before the fact.....

You're gonna get men thinking with their d*cks, regardless of some ad on some bus(es)..... Now I'm not saying that's right, but let's not sit here & pretend that an ad that reads Museum of Sex is having whatever amount of men wide-eyed, beating their chest, phallus solid, making monkey noises & shit, trying to slide up in something sweet right quick....

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

It wasn't only drivers complaining.... But since you bring it up, I'm not buying for a second that there's any quantifiable phenomena of female b/o's getting hit on, causing safety concerns, due to some ad.... I wouldn't put it past some female b/o that morally disapproves of the ad to conjure up a false narrative indicative of rape culture.....

Mighty funny how this wasn't a problem worth publicizing before these ads came about - like female b/o's weren't getting hit on before the fact.....

You're gonna get men thinking with their d*cks, regardless of some ad on some bus(es)..... Now I'm not saying that's right, but let's not sit here & pretend that an ad that reads Museum of Sex is having whatever amount of men wide-eyed, beating their chest, phallus solid, making monkey noises & shit, trying to slide up in something sweet right quick....

#metoo era bullshht.