MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

57 minutes ago, Calvin said:

4247 was mentioned to be at Eastchester Depot. However, it has a bike rack installed to the unit. 

It was transferred to Eastchester Depot, but not to be scrapped.

The Bx23 had to increase service during the rush hours to make up the loss of the Bx29 portion to Co-op City, so they required additional buses.

4247, along with 4081 and 4345 came from Manhattanville.

4506 and 4588 came from LGA.

All local buses from EC are part of the “Bike & Ride” program, which require bike racks; hence the installation on 4247. The other 4 buses will get them eventually.

Edited by Mpn4179
Adding “Bike & Ride” program info.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Does anybody know what's causing the delay in the XD40 order? FP got six of them a few weeks ago then...... nothing. 

Patience.  Buses will be delivered in due time. NFI is usually on point with the deliveries.  Last I read a few months ago NFI workers were boiled up in a labor dispute for a new contract.  Although, our order is already built my guess is that everything is all good again with NFI and they are resuming deliveries.  There’s a picture floating around with 7863 and 7864 in PA en route to NYC.  

Edited by Future ENY OP

8040, 8426, 8437, 8450, 8464 are at Queens Village but Jamaica stickers still in tact. They are helping out cover the total out of QV as Jamaica has buses they can spare that aren't in use. 

Edited by Calvin

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

8040, 8426, 8437, 8450, 8464 are at Queens Village but Jamaica stickers still in tact. They are helping out cover the total out of QV as Jamaica has buses they can spare that aren't in use. 

Yeah, Usually Jamaica would store a small chunk of their fleet since school is out during the summer. So instead of the buses just sitting, They are being used at QV so I doubt they'll put QV stickers on them.

I hope I'm in the right room because I don't want to be buzzed by the NYCTF Police!

I finally got to ride one of the New Prevosts Thursday afternoon....#1545 on LGA's QM34.   Nice riding bus, comfortable a/c.  As for the leg room, I found them quite narrow, you can tell by just looking at it.  However I was able to snag one by the handicapped door and it was quite comfy. 

On another note: the first 2 rows of seats behind the operator were chained off.  Don't get me wrong, the bus had plenty of room.  I have yet to be on a LGA Express Bus that was more than halfway full.  But on every LGA Express Bus I've rode since Covid restrictions have been eased, they're still blocking those seats off.  It's a principle thing!

* This list is a refresh from what was posted and mentioned back in 2021, 1 year from now. 

New NYMTA Bus Deliveries Update (Reflection from previous):

Prevost X3-45 Commuter Coach (1300-1629) :

(CP) College Point -82 Units (1300-1382): 32 out of 82 units delivered

(MA) Meredith Avenue - 50 Units (1557-1586: 30 units delivered, 1587-1606: 20 remains)

(EC) Eastchester - 48 Units (1382-1429): 45 out of 48 units in service

(FR) Far Rockaway - 23 Units (1430-1452: completed)

(Yo) Yonkers - 39 Units (1453-1491: completed)

(BP) Baisley Park -8 Units (1527-1534):  3 out of 8 units delivered

(Sc) Spring Creek- 35 Units (1492-1526): 16 out of 35 currently delivered

(LG) LaGuardia - 22 Units (1535-1556): 11 out of 22 units delivered

(CH) Charleston, additional order: 1607-1629 (21 units delivered)

Nova LFS HEV Smart Bus (9620-9910) (7/15/22 status)

(MHV) Manhattanville - 78 Units

(MJQ) Michael J Quill - 77 Units

(TU) Tuskegee Airmen - 20 Units: 17 out of 20 units delivered 

(KB) Kingsbridge - 30 Units

(GH) Gun Hill - 28 Units

Total: 233 units out of 291 HEV units In-Service 

New Flyer Xcelsior Hybrid 40' (9416-9499, 9510-9619) 

(MCH) Mother Clara Hale - 68 Units (9462-9499, 9560-9589)

(ENY) East New York- 25 Units (9510-9534)

*(GA) Grand Av - 25 Units (9535-9559)    Casey Stengel was originally part of this order but changed to Grand Av instead.

*(MHV) Manhattanville - 76 units (9416-9461, 9590-9619)   These units were originally out of MJQ but swapped by splitting the HEV units over to MJQ resulting MHV to these buses.

ORDER Completed 

Nova LFS Diesel Smart Bus (8755-8963: 209 units) 

(CS) Casey Stengel - 79 Units 

(QV) Queens Village - 50 Units

(JA) Jamaica - 68 Units

* 20 Units originally meant for Castleton will be used for Queens borough instead or subject to change

New Flyer XD-40 2022-23 order (7851-7989) :

FP Depot (39)  -> 7851-7889

ENY Depot (40) -> 7890-7929

FB Depot (40) -> 7930-7969

UP Depot (20) -> 7970-7989

Reference from ttmg and to previous post update from Fleets and Department thread. 

Edited by Calvin

I’m hearing through the grapevine that MJQ will be going through some renovations to its roof which will require some of its fleet and routes  to be moved to Manhattanville and Tuskegee airmen and MCH is this true? 

Edited by Melbx15

39 minutes ago, Melbx15 said:

I’m hearing through the grapevine that MJQ will be going through some renovations to its roof which will require some of its fleet and routes  to be moved to Manhattanville and Tuskegee airmen and MCH is this true? 

The N Y Post article mentioned only the express buses parked on the roof. 

7 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

The N Y Post article mentioned only the express buses parked on the roof. 

From 9am - 5PM Express buses parked on the roof, after those hours, 120 buses are the home buses that belongs to Quill which parks on the roof when the lower 2 level is full. Some Electric buses, OOS and artic's  are parked on the roof after the express buses pulls out. 

14 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

You guys see the mess in Connecticut? Every XE40 pulled from service after spontaneous combustion at a depot. Doesn't bode amazingly for the fleet.

To be clear (not that you are making the argument) it's not a problem with only NF. The media dosent care about a bus model. They pushing the fact that the bus is battery electric and bc it blew up (note, this is not the first time a battery electric exploded out of nowhere) that means they suck and we need to keep diesel powered vehicles on the road.

In general the transit industry has a long way to go before a battery electric transportation vehicle can work well enough in all types of weather and conditions.

59 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

To be clear (not that you are making the argument) it's not a problem with only NF. The media dosent care about a bus model. They pushing the fact that the bus is battery electric and bc it blew up (note, this is not the first time a battery electric exploded out of nowhere) that means they suck and we need to keep diesel powered vehicles on the road.

In general the transit industry has a long way to go before a battery electric transportation vehicle can work well enough in all types of weather and conditions.

Let's not pretend that internal combustion engines are inherently better when it's cold or hot, either. They require measures to stop the chemical reactions from happening too quickly or too slowly, to say nothing of needing measures to prevent shit from going up in flames, seeing how they facilitate, well, combustion to provide power for a vehicle's propulsion.

15 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

They pushing the fact that the bus is battery electric and bc it blew up (note, this is not the first time a battery electric exploded out of nowhere) that means they suck and we need to keep diesel powered vehicles on the road.

The specific chemistry of the battery is the issue here. Lithium-ion (aka Li-ion) batteries have issues with high air and surface temperatures, however I will note that the lower power density lithium iron phosphate (aka LiFePO4) batteries in modern trolleybuses for off wire use don't have the same problem because their chemistry is different.

I would suggest that agencies look towards using in-motion charging trolleybuses, stringing up overhead wires where many routes cross or share the same street (Flushing, Ridgewood and Downtown Brooklyn come to mind) to charge the (less likely to catch fire and lighter weight) onboard LiFePO4 batteries for the rest of the route off wire, while moving.

On 7/28/2022 at 7:30 PM, MHV9218 said:

You guys see the mess in Connecticut? Every XE40 pulled from service after spontaneous combustion at a depot. Doesn't bode amazingly for the fleet.

Eh...it's CT. Remember, they had the first LFS Artic Hybrid go up in flames too. The radiator went up in flames, causing all of that.

On 7/29/2022 at 10:09 AM, MysteriousBtrain said:

On the contrary, considering that the amount of recent bus fires across the country is from New Flyer....it kind of is.

Edited by Cait Sith

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

$116 grant from senator Chuck Schumer for 230 electric buses were recently announced. Expected delivery is by 2025 with assignments being Kingsbridge and Gun Hill in the Bronx, Mother Clara Hale in Manhattan, East New York in Brooklyn and Grand Ave, and Queens Village in Queens.

$116 won't even buy a monthly MetroCard. ;) 

3 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

$116M grant from senator Chuck Schumer for 230 electric buses were recently announced. Expected delivery is by 2025 with assignments being Kingsbridge and Gun Hill in the Bronx, Mother Clara Hale in Manhattan, East New York in Brooklyn and Grand Ave, and Queens Village in Queens.

Typo

58 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

If anyone is interested, there’s I think a 100 series Orion V filming a movie on Boston Rd & Cortona Pkwy. I thought the remaining 100 series Orions were rodeo buses?

No some are still in service.

• 3 weeks later...