MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct. Quill already did driver training on the XD40, so now operations just need to qualify for the XE40, and maintenance has to train on it.

Original plans call for the depots to swap fleets about 18 months into the test program, so MTA can evaluate both bus models on the same routes, and gauge how easy or hard it is to transfer buses and chargers within depots and routes. This includes the depot chargers and in-house chargers.

This new Bus Test & Evaluation Program will insure a fair competition between Proterra and New Flyer as both buses will operate in the exact same conditions in all seasons.

Proterra is now being qualified as the 3rd bus vendor under MTA's New Bus Qualification Program. Those buses should start rolling in in about 90 days or so as well.

Edited by East New York

I'm looking forward to these new buses, I hope the B32 fleet will be entirety made up of these buses so one don't have to go on a goose chase to find them. B39... meh. I hope with the new scheme the TA will still find a way to put "Clean Air Hybrid Electric Bus" decals on them, always thought that was cool about our Hybrids.

Nobody has to go on a goose chase to find them on the B32 because there are only 2 buses at a time there and if you have the correct bus time app you can see the exact fleet number in service on any route in the city.

We're only getting 5 buses. The 32 uses 4 buses for the entire line and the 39 uses 1.

Nope, 2 buses at a time on the B32.

On 9/21/2017 at 4:07 PM, Rick44 said:

I believe Gun Hill receiving the XD60’s was indicative of the order switcharoo, since the reason they received them is because the Novas were delayed.

I think it's more than that.

They were losing buses to West Farms at a steady rate, and they were getting nothing in return.

I think the XD60s were sent there to fill that gap.

11 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

I think it's more than that.

They were losing buses to West Farms at a steady rate, and they were getting nothing in return.

I think the XD60s were sent there to fill that gap.

Can that be the same with Casey Stegal and Flatbush? Flatbush hasn't gotten buses in return from CS.  4 buses left FB for CS earlier this month. 

For Gun Hill:  Will those XD60's return back to Manhattan once the nova deliveries commence? 

2 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Can that be the same with Casey Stegal and Flatbush? Flatbush hasn't gotten buses in return from CS.  4 buses left FB for CS earlier this month. 

For Gun Hill:  Will those XD60's return back to Manhattan once the nova deliveries commence? 

Flatbush doesn't need a lot of LFSAs to cover the B44 SBS, hence why they are able to let some go. They have 37 LFSAs and use about 20-25 during the rush hours. They have a decent spare factor.

Gun Hill had to put 40fters on the artic routes to make up for their losses, big difference.

As for those XD60s, we'll have to wait and see.

8 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Flatbush doesn't need a lot of LFSAs to cover the B44 SBS, hence why they are able to let some go. They have 37 LFSAs and use about 20-25 during the rush hours. They have a decent spare factor.

Gun Hill had to put 40fters on the artic routes to make up for their losses, big difference.

actually 28 i believe

On 9/29/2017 at 4:19 PM, Cait Sith said:

Facts. You should see what the Bx4/A looks like with an LFS. 

On 9/29/2017 at 4:19 PM, Cait Sith said:

That and Gun Hill runs their buses into ground... The buses they have from 2010 look awful...

51 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That and Gun Hill runs their buses into ground... The buses they have from 2010 look awful...

Those NG's they took from Fresh Pond and Grand Avenue all need to return back to Brooklyn. Those buses don't look well maintained and not even a coat of an repaint. 

Their LFSA's from 2010 is another story. If those went to Manhattan they would be best maintained. 

4 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Those NG's they took from Fresh Pond and Grand Avenue all need to return back to Brooklyn. Those buses don't look well maintained and not even a coat of an repaint. 

Their LFSA's from 2010 is another story. If those went to Manhattan they would be best maintained. 

I've been saying this for a while now. The (MTA) board needs to vote on an overhaul of management and maintenance to ensure that each depot has the same standards, otherwise the same depots are in need of new buses because they don't maintain what they have. It's certainly not fair to the passengers either. because more breakdowns means poor service. Get those guys out and put in people that are going to work and keep the buses in a good state of repair. These all look like innocent moves on paper, but they impact service considerably when depots are constantly scrambling to fill voids. Sure it happens, but certain depots have it far too often and that needs to change. The riding public needs to keep pressing the (MTA) on this issue.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Y

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I've been saying this for a while now. The (MTA) board needs to vote on an overhaul of management and maintenance to ensure that each depot has the same standards, otherwise the same depots are in need of new buses because they don't maintain what they have. It's certainly not fair to the passengers either. because more breakdowns means poor service. Get those guys out and put in people that are going to work and keep the buses in a good state of repair. These all look like innocent moves on paper, but they impact service considerably when depots are constantly scrambling to fill voids. Sure it happens, but certain depots have it far too often and that needs to change. The riding public needs to keep pressing the (MTA) on this issue.

You're right bout that. Sometimes i get a bus and the steering wheel are not even straight to hold properly with two hands. I put a comment on the OVCR cards and still remain the same when I get the same bus again on a later day or time.

• 2 weeks later...