MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Chris Alleyne said:

Which can there for be considered poor planning on the DoB's part. If they were more practical and didn't play cute, they would have placed to separate CNG orders. 260 XN40s and 110 XN60s. That would have been more then enough to replace the Orion VII OG CNGs and convert several CNG lines to artic.

Nobody ever acknowledges the poor mismanagement and lack of effort to order correctly.

Edited by Just New York

On 9/2/2018 at 10:30 AM, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

2015’s.... At my depot I haven’t touch the 2018’s yet since they are on a specific routes “sbs46” or “Shuttles”. 

I believe they all start out smooth, but so far the 3 I experienced had tranny situation with that type of bang and hard shift.

Yeah the 2015 Transmissions are the absolute worse. Thank MTA for those dumb ass specs they tuned the LBSS with. Many of them are being tuned again and are starting the run better. The best XD40’ are the 4800’s and the new 2018/2019.

The new ones are rockets, but 4830 and 38 have to be the fasted XD40’s in the city. I don’t what the hell EN did to those two buses but I almost lost my mind in the B15 a couple days ago. On the XN60 side 1073 seems to be faster. The take-off is absolutely insane!

4 minutes ago, East New York said:

Yeah the 2015 Transmissions are the absolute worse. Thank MTA for those dumb ass specs they tuned the LBSS with. Many of them are being tuned again and are starting the run better. The best XD40’ are the 4800’s and the new 2018/2019.

The new ones are rockets, but 4830 and 38 have to be the fasted XD40’s in the city. I don’t what the hell EN did to those two buses but I almost lost my mind in the B15 a couple days ago. On the XN60 side 1073 seems to be faster. The take-off is absolutely insane!

Ohhh I love the new 2018/2019 XDs. Every time I sign up for the L shuttle, I try my best to take one of the new XD. They operate soooooooooo smooth. Its like driving a brand new luxury vehicle. I can make all my turns on point without even having any doubts. The only issue I dislike are the destination keypads, the right side mirrors are poorly designed and sometimes your foot touch the “Call Police” trigger. But overall the new XDs are awesome when it comes to operating on the road. I’m starting to think about going on the sbs46 next pick 🤪

29 minutes ago, East New York said:

Oh plz!!! As an Xcelsior fan, the combination in that 2014-15 XD40s batch are so much better for less pollution and it felt like a race car. I know many officials despise them due to how quiet they are. The 4800s combinations are excellent too, but some slight features I dislike(e.g. half pane rear doors). Yes, the 2 units out of the 4830s range you've mentioned are powerful, I rode them before. I still love the the recent XD40s(2018-19) alot better than 2011,2014-15 XD40s. They are so robotic in their performance. My very first unit of them I rode was #7623(FB unit, B46 +SBS) in May 23, 2018, it was amazing.  In December 2018, I also have operated my first 2 recent XD40s(after they were just delivered in MJQ) which were #7573 and #7585. When I acelerated them, the speed was swift and fiesty as I wanted and each time I did that(I had them NIS) was around 7 - 8a.m. along 12th ave(Manhattan). With #1073, it should be the most popular unit with the XN60s.

I already know the 2014-15 XD40s(my favorite Xcelsiors) are your wost favorites as you have mention in my topic..."Which buses of NYCT/MaBSTOA is more popular ?"

Edited by King Transit

48 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Ohhh I love the new 2018/2019 XDs. Every time I sign up for the L shuttle, I try my best to take one of the new XD. They operate soooooooooo smooth. Its like driving a brand new luxury vehicle. I can make all my turns on point without even having any doubts. The only issue I dislike are the destination keypads, the right side mirrors are poorly designed and sometimes your foot touch the “Call Police” trigger. But overall the new XDs are awesome when it comes to operating on the road. I’m starting to think about going on the sbs46 next pick 🤪

The Destination keypad (ODK) and signs are made by Hanover. The same company that has signs in the 4800’s and the RTS retrofits. You just aren’t used to the layout yet lol. 

41 minutes ago, Railfanner Mario said:

That true but I heard 1016 is supposed to be SBS with1017 is it true?

I can check. Last I saw 1016 it was in standard livery. However, the entire XN60 fleet has an SBS base, so it’s nothing for them to snatch off the local wrap on any of the buses. 

31 minutes ago, King Transit said:

Oh plz!!! As an Xcelsior fan, the combination in that 2014-15 XD40s batch are so much better for less pollution and it felt like a race car. I know many officials despise them due to how quiet they are. The 4800s combinations are excellent too, but some slight features I dislike(e.g. half pane rear doors). Yes, the 2 units out of the 4830s range you've mentioned are powerful, I rode them before. I still love the the recent XD40s(2018-19) alot better than 2011,2014-15 XD40s. They are so robotic in their performance. My very first unit of them I rode was #7623(FB unit, B46 +SBS) in May 23, 2018, it was amazing.  In December 2018, I also have operated my first 2 recent XD40s(after they were just delivered in MJQ) which were #7573 and #7585. When I acelerated them, the speed was swift and fiesty as I wanted and each time I did that(I had them NIS) was around 7 - 8a.m. along 12th ave(Manhattan). With #1073, it should be the most popular unit with the XN60s.

I already know the 2014-15 XD40s(my favorite Xcelsiors) are your wost favorites as you have mention in my topic..."Which buses of NYCT/MaBSTOA is more popular ?"

I don’t know of a single person that that dislikes them because they are quiet. Lol. This isn’t really about a popularity test tho. It’s about a performance test. The lower 7000’s perform the worse. They sure don’t take off like race cars, although there are a couple that have been retuned.  Still don’t accelerate as fact as a 2011 or 2018/19. They have speed, but the takeoff is the worse. They are not favored among mechanics or operators. The shift scheduling on majority of them are not calibrated correctly for NYC duty cycles. The transmission’s can slip because of this at times as mentioned by @Flatbush SBS Duece

There are a few more things wrong with these, and a few practices that bus operator like to do that will cause a bus to break down faster than it should also. But that’s another discussion. 

Second off, as a mechanic I can tell you that you that I agree and said they (2018/19) were better myself lol. They pollute less by default. The newest buses have EPA 17 Cummins L9 engines which are slightly cleaner than the EPA 15 Cummins ISL9 that it replaces, which powers the 2015/16 batch. That combines with the flawless shift scheduling of those buses makes them more efficient as well. 

The most popular buses are a matter of opinion and maintenance for the most part. If we are talking about active fleet, the most popular for reliability is the RTS. The most popular for looks is the Xcelsior. To a greater extent the XN60’s and XDE40’s have shit to the top of that list with the new XD40 right behind it. 

The favored bus for longevity is the LFS/LFSA because it has the same build philosophy of the RTS, which essentially guarantees it can last almost forever with proper maintenance. 

7018 is out of NYCT’s first batch of RTS’ ever and to this very moment of this day, it will run circles around any RTS in this city, and keep up anything else quite well. 

5 hours ago, Just New York said:

Nobody ever acknowledges the poor mismanagement and lack of effort to order correctly.

5 hours ago, Chris Alleyne said:

That's why they are always short on buses and have to loan from other depots to keep score.

West Farms is always short they lost a lot of articulated buses in the past few weeks 

5327, 5880, 5257, 5259, 5267, 5930, 5943, 5947, 5950, 5952, 5953, 5959 and to say the bx36 is supposed to become articulated 

6 hours ago, East New York said:

Don't Forget About 4819, 4836 and 4843.Those Units Are Rockets Too. As for the 2015 XD40s, They Should Start Sounding Like How Some Of The 4800s sound along with the 2018-19 Models 

9 hours ago, Chris Alleyne said:

Which can there for be considered poor planning on the DoB's part. If they were more practical and didn't play cute, they would have placed to separate CNG orders. 260 XN40s and 110 XN60s. That would have been more then enough to replace the Orion VII OG CNGs and convert several CNG lines to artic.

7 hours ago, Just New York said:

In the case that was mentioned, it's not really poor mismanagement or planning....

Bear in mind. The RTS fleet is still in pretty good shape. With West Farms receiving these XD40s, it makes more sense to send them there temporarily instead of sending the new buses to directly replace the RTSs, because then, we'd be in a far more short on buses.

The 2004 Orion VII CNGs were expected to last a while longer due to the tanks not completely expiring yet(hence why 7685 is still around as 145), but they've been going through quite a few problems during these cold months.

It has nothing to do with direct replacements, as you both make it sound to be.

In the end we will end up with extra c40lf's, when the Q25 becomes sbs, Its moving to BP due to it having artics (subject to change). Even if the Q64 goes back to CP, there would still be extra C40's. Those C40's could go to WF to bump out those XD40's to other NYCT depots.

10 hours ago, Chris Alleyne said:

8 hours ago, Just New York said:

Neither the Bx6 or the Bx6+ were in the plans when they were ordered. There was also no option as this was the first time MTA was implementing artics other than diesel. 

You all should also take note that WF has more buses than the average depot that are around the same age. This means they have to be rotated out for regularly scheduled maintenance, and there are the unplanned maintenance issues that are encountered as well. Not only that, WF bus demand and requirements are higher than any other depot in the city and you all don’t realize that. They have nearly 330 buses on average at all times, and not one of them are express. 

3 hours ago, Melbx15 said:

West Farms is always short they lost a lot of articulated buses in the past few weeks 

5327, 5880, 5257, 5259, 5267, 5930, 5943, 5947, 5950, 5952, 5953, 5959 and to say the bx36 is supposed to become articulated 

The 36 has artics on it now, and the total increased. 

2 hours ago, East New York said:

Neither the Bx6 or the Bx6+ were in the plans when they were ordered. There was also no option as this was the first time MTA was implementing artics other than diesel. 

You all should also take note that WF has more buses than the average depot that are around the same age. This means they have to be rotated out for regularly scheduled maintenance, and there are the unplanned maintenance issues that are encountered as well. Not only that, WF bus demand and requirements are higher than any other depot in the city and you all don’t realize that. They have nearly 330 buses on average at all times, and not one of them are express. 

The 36 has artics on it now, and the total increased. 

I can't give a system of this size a break to many people not doing there job. Data is the key to efficiently running a system not just transit systems. I watch them BS and drop the ball and waste money on everything but fixing the system.

10 hours ago, Just New York said:

I can't give a system of this size a break to many people not doing there job. Data is the key to efficiently running a system not just transit systems. I watch them BS and drop the ball and waste money on everything but fixing the system.

You do understand that NYMTA isn't the only agency that has had these types of issues, right?

Data isn't the only thing needed. There's a whole lot more to it than just data, as things can change on a dime. Data is also not always concrete.

King County Metro, the highest rated transit agency in all of the US, is currently going through similar issues. They retired so many of the older articulated buses that they're perpetually short on buses, also to the point where they have had 30ft buses on routes that use 60ft express buses.

4 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

You do understand that NYMTA isn't the only agency that has had these types of issues, right?

Data isn't the only thing needed. There's a whole lot more to it than just data, as things can change on a dime. Data is also not always concrete.

King County Metro, the highest rated transit agency in all of the US, is currently going through similar issues. They retired so many of the older articulated buses that they're perpetually short on buses, also to the point where they have had 30ft buses on routes that use 60ft express buses.

That a lack of effort to do your job if you ask me, I wont go into this on this post I understand the sensitive of the board. we are all entitled to our opinion on the state of the MTA I leave it at that.  

14 minutes ago, Just New York said:

That a lack of effort to do your job if you ask me, I wont go into this on this post I understand the sensitive of the board. we are all entitled to our opinion on the state of the MTA I leave it at that.  

Judging by that response, you don't really know what you're talking about. That whole response is nothing more than a cop-out.

Edited by Cait Sith

2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Judging by that response, you don't really know what you're talking about. That whole response is nothing more than a cop-out.

It's more of this thread is for fleet moves not our opinions on the state of the MTA. I'm trying to respect the thread for other sake would have been a good debate.

@East New York

Looks like there's going to be a second LFS 8504? Similar to how there were two 8090s back in 2015? Looking at the rendering on the capital program it shows the new LFS 40ft buses coming in with the hi visibility windows along with the front roof scoop like on the LFSAs. You said 8508 is in NYC. Any pictures? 

2 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

@East New York

Looks like there's going to be a second LFS 8504? Similar to how there were two 8090s back in 2015? Looking at the rendering on the capital program it shows the new LFS 40ft buses coming in with the hi visibility windows along with the front roof scoop like on the LFSAs. You said 8508 is in NYC. Any pictures? 

To be fair, that rendering precedes the first 8504...

I do hope they come with the new window and roof scoop. Nova's just look weird without them IMO.

4 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

@East New York

8508 is not in NYC. It's still up in Plattsburgh.

On a similar note.

6130-6133 all ready for delivery(unless they're already at the vendor, GPS isn't completely active), with 6136 at the vendor in JFK. Now, it's a matter of when will they arrive to the depots.

Edited by Cait Sith

18 hours ago, Just New York said:

It's more of this thread is for fleet moves not our opinions on the state of the MTA. I'm trying to respect the thread for other sake would have been a good debate.

No, this thread is for discussion on anything related to the fleet, operations and depots. However, as @Cait Sith said, it’s clear you don’t have a full grasp of operations. As I said WF has more buses than ANY other Depot, and the operations of today were NOT planned. The Bx6 and Bx6 local were not confirmed when the CNG artic order went in. You also have u planned maintenance issues and accidents everyday that eat into the spare factor. WF will perpetually be late now and then because of the operations demand

8 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

@East New York

Yeah I don’t remember saying it was in the city. It’s at the vendor.