• Last Reply

And the wrapped bus in question was...

Ran in service today, so far this is the only one wrapped for now

13055554_10208080953735963_1933357727944

13076506_10208080739490607_6498812143234

Photos by me

Nice shots....

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

In hindsight, having it start during the spring pick is kinda shortsighted. Now they gonna have to have a modified pick in the depot for it, only to do the summer pick right after that.

Might as well wait until the summer pick starts so you won't have to have a 2nd pick.

Whoa! You work at the Flatbush Depot, because I was there yesterday, looking for the XD40 +SBS wrapped, because #7304 was running on the streets last week.

7304 only ran that one day.

In hindsight, having it start during the spring pick is kinda shortsighted. Now they gonna have to have a modified pick in the depot for it, only to do the summer pick right after that.

Might as well wait until the summer pick starts so you won't have to have a 2nd pick.

7304 only ran that one day.

I noticed that, a lot of the SBS routes that were created recently have done that.

Yes I felt like transit should have just waited it out for the summer pick. It's only 3 weeks long.

But I'm assuming they want to use that 3 weeks as a trial period.

See how buses are bunching, and what ever fine tuning they need to do to the schedules.

And 7304 is out there running. On a day to day basis. Not only for one day. And obviously not in SBS

The bus lanes have helped service tremendously. The lanes themsleves could use better enforcement since the vans still think they're entitled to use them and double parking is an issue as well.

Traffic has gotten worse, but that's an expected result. I think people are slowly starting to use alternate routes anyway.

That's good that service has improved tremendously. Slow buses stuck in traffic really is a detriment to service and ridership. I think ridership will increase because of the improved service.

When will NYC implement Traffic Signal Priority?  It's the other main hindrance to bus service, and ridership.

That's good that service has improved tremendously. Slow buses stuck in traffic really is a detriment to service and ridership. I think ridership will increase because of the improved service.

When will NYC implement Traffic Signal Priority?  It's the other main hindrance to bus service, and ridership.

The buses will still bunch up. It's just that now you will have to pay on the street. 

The buses will still bunch up. It's just that now you will have to pay on the street. 

They'll bunch up less, because it removes the variable of "is someone going to take an abnormally long time boarding". Fumbling for your metrocard outside the bus won't make the bus late anymore.

This is one of the reasons I cannot wait for the implementation of Smart Cards. You wouldn't even need SBS anymore as all door boarding could be implemented on every bus and route. Just place readers at the doors and some interior poles. This negates the need for multipurpose fireboxes as well as the need for bus stop machines.

I doubt that SBS on the B46 would exactly spur anymore growth, especially looking at the nabe's it passes through & the dynamics surrounding them.... Even if it takes people out of dollar cabs/vans, even if it takes (more) people from off the B47, even... uhh, well, I don't think it can take much more people off the B7 (Lol), where would any newfound ridership come from enough for any growth to be noticeable?

- If we look at Bed-Stuy for instance, who's using the 15 or the 43 as an alternative to the B46?

- South of Eastern Pkwy, you only have the B7, B47, and dollar van/cab services (like mentioned earlier).....

- I'll even stretch it out to say that you do have people that use the B44 & the B46 interchangeably out of WBP (I used to be one of them, when I worked for a brief stint up in industrial Maspeth), but this stretch is neither here nor there b/c the B44 already has SBS for one, and two, the B46 SBS doesn't go that far north......

I'm saying all of this to say this:

Ridership-wise on the B46, I don't want growth (aint gettin much more service on the B46 anyway, so growth aint goin  trigger the MTA into increasing frequencies), I'm not clamoring for losses either (which have NEVER been my hopes in any of these 11 thousand odd posts on here); as if to prove some sort of stupid point - even though I have been as critical about SBS in general...

What I want is stagnancy.

SBS'll cut commuting times for B46 riders (well, those riding no further north than Dekalb) & that's all it needs to do....

Let growth be the issue for the B44 SBS - especially the NB buses.....

This is one of the reasons I cannot wait for the implementation of Smart Cards. You wouldn't even need SBS anymore as all door boarding could be implemented on every bus and route. Just place readers at the doors and some interior poles. This negates the need for multipurpose fireboxes as well as the need for bus stop machines.

I'm sure the MTA will be concerned that people will board in the back without tapping.

I'm sure the MTA will be concerned that people will board in the back without tapping.

Camera enforcement could prevent this, also possibly some type of warning going off if you don't pay? Some people might not care but public shame is one way to deter farebeating.

Camera enforcement could prevent this, also possibly some type of warning going off if you don't pay? Some people might not care but public shame is one way to deter farebeating.

Equip the Eagle Team with portable readers and send them out citywide. During stops passengers must provide their Smart Card to be checked by the agent. The agent returns the card after checking to see if it was indeed used on that bus.

Paris has a HUGE fare beating problem. Hilariously bad. But that hasn't stopped it's implementation.

On the Eagle Team w/ Readers idea, they wouldn't even need to keep the bus sitting at a stop. Checking a card should only take a second.

Equip the Eagle Team with portable readers and send them out citywide. During stops passengers must provide their Smart Card to be checked by the agent. The agent returns the card after checking to see if it was indeed used on that bus.

Is the Eagle Team funded with Federal Funds because of SBS?

Do it the Berlin way: inspect fares rarely (only expect to get hit like once a month), but the fine for farebeating is extortionate (1000 EUR). Just the risk of having a 1000EUR fine over your head is enough to scare people into buying passes, esp when a Berlin monthly for all zones is less than 100EUR.

Archived