L Train Service Between Brooklyn & Manhattan May Be Shut Down For Years

RollOver

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that what they're trying to say is that if the (L) doesn't run under the river, the route is shorter and you need less trains to make the same frequency, so you can put the newly "excess" trains that would otherwise be running under the river and put them on the (G).

Yup. That's exactly what we've been saying.

As for the 52 R68As already on the (G), you can now run them as 6 full length trains with a 4 car spare and you'll need 7 R143s or R160's to make service.

(You could always borrow a Siemens set from the (N) or R68s from the (B) on weekends)

The current plan calls for the (G) to have two more cars added, the only cars that would allow 6 car 75 footers is the R46's, this was said by the MTA spokesperson (adding two more cars part) so this means the (A) is loosing R46's including the A-A sets if this were to happen, the R68's would just go to other CIY routes thus ether bumping out R160's to Jamaica or keeping them for enhanced service, the (A) would get the R32's from the (C) and half of the R32's off the (J) to displace the lost R46's

Or

They can be simple and make the (G) full length to avoid all these car moves and continue using R68's

So, let me get this straight, these people want the MTA to build another cross-river tunnel to alleviate the burden of the Canarsie tubes repairs? A tunnel that will serve absolutely no purpose after said repairs are completed? Makes perfect sense. Why not just cut out the middle man and give these affected riders door-to-door car service for the duration of the closure? It'll probably amount to the same figure anyway.

Sarcasm aside, this has to be one of the most ridiculous ideas I've heard of in a while. I'm all for service expansion and the like, but a third track for the Canarsie line won't do anything. That is unless the rest of the line is triple-tracked as well. Otherwise, all you have is a very long and expensive layup track.

I also want to point out the flawed argument about taking money from the city's proposed streetcar line and diverting it towards this tunnel idea. You'd still be about $2 billion short. Where is that money coming from? Upstate? The feds? Unlikely. The post-Sandy money from the federal government is only supposed to return the infrastructure to a pre-Sandy state. It's not a bottomless pit of holding. The state is just as likely to give any money to this either.

So, let me get this straight, these people want the MTA to build another cross-river tunnel to alleviate the burden of the Canarsie tubes repairs? A tunnel that will serve absolutely no purpose after said repairs are completed? Makes perfect sense. Why not just cut out the middle man and give these affected riders door-to-door car service for the duration of the closure? It'll probably amount to the same figure anyway.

Sarcasm aside, this has to be one of the most ridiculous ideas I've heard of in a while. I'm all for service expansion and the like, but a third track for the Canarsie line won't do anything. That is unless the rest of the line is triple-tracked as well. Otherwise, all you have is a very long and expensive layup track.

I also want to point out the flawed argument about taking money from the city's proposed streetcar line and diverting it towards this tunnel idea. You'd still be about $2 billion short. Where is that money coming from? Upstate? The feds? Unlikely. The post-Sandy money from the federal government is only supposed to return the infrastructure to a pre-Sandy state. It's not a bottomless pit of holding. The state is just as likely to give any money to this either.

And this is something most of these people fail to realize.  Love or hate my ideas, at least they are not nearly as outlandish as building a new tunnel that unless you can somehow connect it after the repairs to the SAS if Phase 3 ever gets done is completely unrealistic. 

Sure, I have mentioned rebuilding the Atlantic Avenue (L) station to four or six tracks so the (L) can terminate there while a new Broadway-Brooklyn service operates from Rockaway Parkway, but at least that is something I'd be looking at doing anyway given doing so allows the (L) to focus on the much more heavily traveled portion of the line AND with six tracks actually provides some storage facilities there when not use as terminal tracks.

These cats have got to be freaking kidding me

http://gothamist.com/2016/02/25/new_l_train_tunnel_or_revolution.php

A third tunnel are they for real? I rather the MTA close down the first two, fix the tunnels and have the job down faster. Building this third tunnel is just more money, more time and resources. And they wonder why the MTA didn't give feedback.

A third tunnel are they for real? I rather the MTA close down the first two, fix the tunnels and have the job down faster. Building this third tunnel is just more money, more time and resources. And they wonder why the MTA didn't give feedback.

and there was another article from that spoiled site that their crying that the nights and weekends on the (L) train would be closed 

http://spoilednyc.com/shutdown-seven-year-l-train-new-york/

The Williamsburg hipsters are a bunch of crybabies who want everything given to them on a silver platter.Many of them will not do the research to find out the history of the line and what went on just to get the line built in the first place and that was almost 100 years ago. At that time the BRT (later the BMT) had the foresight and did everything possible to make sure that it was done despite all of the obstacles placed in its way by a mayor who hated the company.

They should be counting their lucky stars that they have almost new trains. It is too bad that the Multi-Sections and the Standards have passed on as the hipsters would have gotten a ride for their money. Better still if the 14th Street -Fulton Street Line was still around and it skipped all stops between Lorimer and Myrtle would they be crying tears and not voting just in the presidential elections?

Instead of coming up with these wonderful ideas that are pie-in-the sky which we cannot afford and will never be built, just say to the MTA, let's get it done now so that we can go back to our slumber.

and there was another article from that spoiled site that their crying that the nights and weekends on the (L) train would be closed

http://spoilednyc.com/shutdown-seven-year-l-train-new-york/

They should be lucky they have train service with several alternatives. Where I live we don't have a subway in the area. The closet station would be Forest Hills via the Q64. When a signal malfunction occurs the whole Queens Blvd line is affected and there is no alternatives except the (7) at Roosevelt Ave. The fact they want a tunnel to be built before the other two are worked on is just so crazy. If you build one you might as well build the other one and demolish the other two but that is unnecessary and expensive.

There might be some use for a new tunnel. If they build the I.N.D. Worth Street Line which will probably never happen there already.

Exactly.  Unless that or for a later connection to the SAS, there really isn't any good reason to build a new tunnel there when other spots would be more desirable.

• 3 weeks later...

Plans for Myrtle Av rehabilitation before the (L) closure:

M train service in Bushwick and Ridgewood is scheduled to be interrupted for two months next year in preparation of the L train tunnel shutdown, according to the MTA.

There will be no M trains between the Middle Village-Metropolitan Ave. and the Myrtle Ave. stops.

Repair work could start summer 2017, the MTA said.

The work should be done before L train riders begin to use the M during the shut down of the Canarsie Tube.

When the M train work is done, the MTA intends to demolish and rebuild a viaduct over the span of eight months, during which time a shuttle train is expected to carry passengers between Middle Village-Metropolitan Ave. and Myrtle-Wyckoff Aves.

Repairs at the Knickerbocker Ave. and Central Ave. stations are scheduled to last 10 months.

M trains are expected to be rerouted to the J and Z line on Broadway between the Myrtle Ave. and Broadway Junction stations in the meantime.

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/transit/2016/03/17/m-train-service-to-shut-down-in-parts-of-brooklyn-and-queens-next-summer.html

Archived