SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, engineerboy6561 said:

It was part of the 1929 Second System plan; the Concourse line was supposed to run over Gun Hill Rd/Burke Av out to Boston Rd/Baychester Av. That's why the (D) curves east past Bedford Park Blvd

The tunnel continues to Webster Avenue. The extension was also proposed in the 1960s.

47676766731_1a4a4454ec.jpgScreen Shot 2019-04-23 at 7.27.12 AM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

47676767781_7ebda8ee4f.jpgScreen Shot 2019-04-23 at 7.29.18 AM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

2 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

The tunnel continues to Webster Avenue. The extension was also proposed in the 1960s.

47676766731_1a4a4454ec.jpgScreen Shot 2019-04-23 at 7.27.12 AM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

47676767781_7ebda8ee4f.jpgScreen Shot 2019-04-23 at 7.29.18 AM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

How come they don't do it now then? Seems like a one stop extension would benefit a lot of people.

Just now, Lawrence St said:

How come they don't do it now then? Seems like a one stop extension would benefit a lot of people.

In (MTA) world, tunneling costs would go super high due to the need for additional unnecessary workers. Honestly, they really need to implement some serious cost reforms before they can put some shovels in the ground for any big project.

6 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

In (MTA) world, tunneling costs would go super high due to the need for additional unnecessary workers. Honestly, they really need to implement some serious cost reforms before they can put some shovels in the ground for any big project.

I thought the tunnel was already built?

15 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The Jamaica 160s are getting ads on the side of the car similar to what buses have...

bVtIKQz.jpg

Not gonna lie...this looks better than what the Cuomo vinyl-wrap scheme is doing right now (especially with the blue on the top half on the side of the car)

Beginning of this weekend and Sunday, Apr. 28 MTA Transit pick, the (L) on weekends in Manhattan will use the 8 Av track only between Union Sq and Bedford Av. 

http://gothamist.com/2019/04/23/l_train_video_shutdown.php?fbclid=IwAR0-dSz4ZNlx8zjdDEP_dD6EKTO05qqSwMW6T1RoRdr77C28c0ug1OcJbjU

Expect a lot of noise during this cause.

7 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The Jamaica 160s are getting ads on the side of the car similar to what buses have...

bVtIKQz.jpg

Corona’s cars had gotten them first. Then Jamaica followed suit (adding them to dirty cars of course) Corona’s deep cleaned cars had them put on; As the way it should be IMO. 

On 4/21/2019 at 7:31 PM, lara8710 said:

Just after getting off the (Q) train at 96th Street I was shocked to see water damage on the ceilings of the station, given that it only opened two years ago. The same thing has happened at Hudson Yards on the (7) not long ago. Is it that the state of the subway is fragile due to the city's geography, or does it have something to do with poor quality waterproofing during times of bad weather? I don't understand...

This tells me that the Second Avenue Subway is just about to become another Archer Avenue Subway, where all three of the stations are literally falling apart due to water intrusion. And the stations along the 63rd Street (F) line (especially Roosevelt Island) are just as bad...

Lest we forget that despite Phase 1 being several years late, it actually was rushed into opening due to political pressure. The Archer Avenue stations have devolved into hellholes, poorly designed and with bathrooms that will make you questions your sanity. I’m probably don’t use the 63rd Street line to have noticed water damage there, but it wouldn’t surprise me.