SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

1 hour ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Well...

1. Students cannot arrest fare evaders, the few that want to do that job in the first place have little power over criminals. A larger form of police staffing has been done before, transit police IIRC.

2. Any school (prestigious or not) has it's share of fare evaders, just like drug addicts, and wrongdoers (and vice versa). I don't expect Stuyvesant to be exempt from this so it's little of any surprise. Why they are actually doing this specifically, is a more notable concern. ex. For more rides? Broken or no card?

3. Farebeating is unjustifiable, but if the city and (MTA) want to keep paying for Student MetroCard's, they best make sure they have other priorities sorted out, and farebeating is one getting worse and worse and worse while nothing is done, I could go on.

1. I understand that, though I know there is a citizen’s arrest, where a person can legally arrest someone for wrongdoing. 

2. Because they can. They don’t care a bit about them. 

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Seems that they're actually swapping out the Helvetica Neue plate signs on SAS for proper porcelain enamel Helvetica ones...

52863927_642445586188912_170760371040786

53272260_642445606188910_173435960861025

Why don't the uptown signs say "125th street" with a "96" sticker over the 125? That way they can just peel off the sticker when phase 2 is complete.

23 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Why don't the uptown signs say "125th street" with a "96" sticker over the 125? That way they can just peel off the sticker when phase 2 is complete.

The peel will wear off with time and discovery of it's presence. Plus, phase 2 isn't due for another ~10 years anyway.

What the f**k is up with the signs reading 7:08 for the (N) and (Q) but both trains leaving at 7:04?

The next (Q) train left at 8:09 unannounced. And the next (N) is a minute late to let the Coney Island-bound train into Track 1.

Edited by CenSin

Cuomo appointed Sarah Feinberg (who used to work at the US DOT and led the FRA in the tail end of the Obama administration) and real estate developer David Mack to the MTA board back in Feburary, which the news media reported on. Then the State Senate confirmed them to the board back on Tuesday and I haven't heard a peep in the news about that. Even the MTA site  isn't updated yet. Mack used to be on the MTA board from 1993 to 2009 and was forced to resign. He absolutely has no place on the board and it's amazing he's been reappointed and reconfirmed. Looking at the three  committee  meetings, a few Senators were pretty critical of him and actually voted against him, but the Senate ultimately did approve him. It's nice to see a few newly-elected Senators like Andrew Gounardes, Jessica Ramos or James Skoufis actually *attempting* oversight. 

The board is basically a revolving door at this point, we might need a dedicated thread just to keep track of it all. And there's still four vacant seats, including the chair.

Edited by Mysterious2train

1 hour ago, Mysterious2train said:

Cuomo appointed Sarah Feinberg (who used to work at the US DOT and led the FRA in the tail end of the Obama administration) and real estate developer David Mack to the MTA board back in Feburary, which the news media reported on. Then the State Senate confirmed them to the board back on Tuesday and I haven't heard a peep in the news about that. Even the MTA site  isn't updated yet. Mack used to be on the MTA board from 1993 to 2009 and was forced to resign. He absolutely has no place on the board and it's amazing he's been reappointed and reconfirmed. Looking at the three  committee  meetings, a few Senators were pretty critical of him and actually voted against him, but the Senate ultimately did approve him. It's nice to see a few newly-elected Senators like Andrew Gounardes, Jessica Ramos or James Skoufis actually *attempting* oversight. 

The board is basically a revolving door at this point, we might need a dedicated thread just to keep track of it all. And there's still four vacant seats, including the chair.

Thanks for the links. I hadn't heard anything about Mack beforehand. What do you think about Feinberg?

I don't know if I should call this (B) (Brighton Beach-bound) train operator a noob… he's decelerating at Cortelyou Road and Avenue M.

Some kids may have hijacked the back of the train. They're howling like apes, honking the horn, and whispering profanity into the intercom system. Are they also having sex with the train?

Edited by CenSin

9 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Thanks for the links. I hadn't heard anything about Mack beforehand. What do you think about Feinberg?

Just from the little I've seen of her at the Senate meetings, she seems like a good fit for the board. I read there was controversy when Obama first appointed her to the FRA over her lack of prior experience in the railroad industry, but after actually spending two years in the role, I think she try to do right by us. She was apparently also one of the judges for the Genius Competition, whether that lowers or raises your image of her. 

57 minutes ago, Enjineer said:

Saw an R142A on the (5) today! It went express from E 180 St to Pelham Parkway, and it then came back down out of service. Not sure how/why it ended up on the (5), but I did manage to grab a photo of it: 

IMG_2181

The (5) usually borrows sets from the (4) when it’s split due to GOs. Such was the case this morning for just over two hours.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

2 hours ago, Enjineer said:

Saw an R142A on the (5) today! It went express from E 180 St to Pelham Parkway, and it then came back down out of service. Not sure how/why it ended up on the (5), but I did manage to grab a photo of it: 

IMG_2181

I think that was only this day it went OOS early. Before, it was there last week, it was OOS during the evening and 2 other Jerome loaners were 142As as well. *Only when it starts/ends at 149 St-Grand Concourse

Edited by Calvin

45 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

How many cars does the SIR need to maintain service?  Peak and off-peak?

It shouldn't be too difficult to figure it out from the schedule. All trains are 4 cars long. Peak headways have the equivalent of 8 TPH (4 TPH local + 4 TPH express) while all off peak service is 2 TPH. The only thing I don't really know, is how the reverse peak express service runs.