SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

On CPW, is there higher demand for 8th-bound service or 6th-bound service?

I do not think it make a difference. Given the track layout in which the 8th Avenue alone feeds onto Fulton Street, which in turn feed onto Liberty Avenue and Rockaway, the short-turn (A) - the (C) - is capable of handling CPW riders on its own on weekends and CPW riders are used to switching over for the (D) at 59th Street. Only issue is frequency. Unlike the (B) and (D), the (A) and (C) connect to more popular areas such as Port Authority, Times Square, Penn Station, Chelsea, SoHo, and Downtown Manhattan.

On 8/8/2019 at 2:26 AM, Cabanamaner said:

Whatever happened to the passageway between 50th Street (1) and 50th Street (C)(E)? I remember it being reopened after many years back in 2011-2012-ish (there’s even videos on YouTube showing it off), but it’s been closed completely for the past few years. Is there a formal reason for it’s closure? 

Did this passage's closure also take away the under/overpass at both 50 St (1) and (C)(E)?

18 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

They are a few sets that still run on (N) .

I think on the (N)(Q)(W), there are a total of maybe 5 sets. I don't know exactly, just guessing, but, considering that I have never seen an R68/A (Q) for at least 5 years, I think that it is about 5. I have seen one set on the (W) last month

55 minutes ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

I think on the (N)(Q)(W), there are a total of maybe 5 sets. I don't know exactly, just guessing, but, considering that I have never seen an R68/A (Q) for at least 5 years, I think that it is about 5. I have seen one set on the (W) last month

I have been using the Broadway lines more often now all three Boroughs Queens, Manhattan and Brooklyn. I  seen some R68/A on those lines.

Edited by bwwnyc123

On 8/9/2019 at 4:47 PM, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Dispatch sends out 2-3 sets of R68A’s for the (W) and 1-2 sets on the (N) and last Month there was an R68 put-in on the (Q) . Crews are never happy to see these cars rolling into Ditmars or 96th Street-2Av. 

Edited by VIP

9 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

The poles on the R143 aren't yellow. its the same grey color.

They’ve canned the yellow looped bars especially after numerous complaints from car cleaners and RCI’s that the paint chipping is out of hand. Jamaica’s cars are getting these silver looped stanchions in addition to LED lights. As far as floor mats, that plan has been canceled as well. 

19 minutes ago, VIP said:

Dispatch sends out 2-3 sets of R68A’s for the (W) and 1-2 sets on the (N) and last Month there was an R68 put-in on the (Q) . Crews are never happy to see these cars rolling into Ditmars or 96th Street-2Av. 

and neither am I. The (N)(W) should be ALL R160. Maybe I wouldn't have 20+ minute waits during rush hour on my way to work. Always have to get up and rolling an hour earlier to ensure I'm on-time AND on a R160.

16 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

and neither am I. The (N)(W) should be ALL R160. Maybe I wouldn't have 20+ minute waits during rush hour on my way to work. Always have to get up and rolling an hour earlier to ensure I'm on-time AND on a R160.

There's not enough spares to cover this and Jamaica needs most of the 160s as well. It's usually 2 each (N) and (W) with the R68As, the rest are R160s. 

Also, IMO,  the (4) line may need to get new poles to how the 42 St shuttle has it with the R62As. It seems that the yellow border around the pole, most of them are slipped on the floor and peeled off. 

Edited by Calvin

The 68s should be on the (Q) rather than the (N) & (W) not because of silly railfan grudges but because the (Q) has the same two terminals 24/7 where's Astoria terminal swaps cars... Why they still have SMEEs on the (N) / (W) lines despite the fact that that terminal swaps trains like Flatbush does will always be an mystery..

2 hours ago, VIP said:

They’ve canned the yellow looped bars especially after numerous complaints from car cleaners and RCI’s that the paint chipping is out of hand.

I mean, I don't see why it matters if they're yellow or not. Considering the other stanchions and poles in subway cars are already steel(?), it makes sense to just not paint them and have them blend in with the existing handholds.

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The 68s should be on the (Q) rather than the (N) & (W) not because of silly railfan grudges but because the (Q) has the same two terminals 24/7 where's Astoria terminal swaps cars... Why they still have SMEEs on the (N) / (W) lines despite the fact that that terminal swaps trains like Flatbush does will always be an mystery..

I can't say I agree. Those cars command longer dwells just to handle the same number of people, and with Second Avenue being a hit with just three of all planned stops, the last thing we should be doing is hampering commutes just for that. (Ideally, we'd have 60-footers for all non-IRT operations, but it'll still be a while before we even remotely reach that point. In the meantime, the R68s 75-footers should be kept off of Broadway except in a bind.)

29 minutes ago, Lex said:

I can't say I agree. Those cars command longer dwells just to handle the same number of people, and with Second Avenue being a hit with just three of all planned stops, the last thing we should be doing is hampering commutes just for that. (Ideally, we'd have 60-footers for all non-IRT operations, but it'll still be a while before we even remotely reach that point. In the meantime, the R68s 75-footers should be kept off of Broadway except in a bind.)

We'd have 6 car R46s on the (J) and R32s/R42s on the (N) and (W) to this day if they would've fit thru their respective restricted clearance points (especially the 75 footers on the (J). The 32/42 thru Montague issue was more due to ineptness)

Edited by paulrivera

14 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

The (N)(W) should be ALL R160.

There's not enough cars for that...

14 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Maybe I wouldn't have 20+ minute waits during rush hour on my way to work. Always have to get up and rolling an hour earlier to ensure I'm on-time AND on a R160.

I have a hard time believing you, a grown adult, is playing childish games like this just because you don't like 75 foot cars. If I've got to deal with these pieces of shit R46s on the (R) everyday, you can suck it up and ride an R68/A once in a while. Grow up. 

I know right they are just trains to provide services for us so it really doesn't matter which type train to use or ride. All train models experience some kind of delays just like cars on the street. All of the train cars actually are good otherwise they would not be using in the subways for us to ride.

Edited by bwwnyc123