BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

On 10/25/2021 at 4:37 PM, Lex said:

Something tells me the reason for not doing this is the short stretch around Fordham Road (yes, I know that's a boneheaded reason, but we're not exactly talking about the best and brightest here).

Amen to that.  In a similar vein, I applied for a civil service job once where I met both minimum qualifications, but was rejected because they said "you need to meet either qualification, you can't meet both".  In their world, 1+1 doesn't equal 2, it equals 0.  Narrow-minded, petty bureaucratic idiots. 

21 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

One of the best OG shows. The year I wanted to intern for Transit Transit production ended.  Would of been a good foot into NYCT and it’s production team.  

I feel that.  Especially now when a lot of the public-sector jobs list minimum qualifications, but emphasize "preferred qualifications".

Edited by R10 2952

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

You wanna know what I truly hate? When bus drivers don't set the fare box correctly and I don't get my transfer. 

Paid $2.75 for the local, paid another $6.75 for the express. 

Shit like that make me wanna go off, don't try to scam me, a**hole. 

And I knew it was the farebox not programmed correctly because the announcements aren't working. 

Another reason to abolish the farebox. 

Why it gotta be the bus drivers fault? I see the farebox reject perfectly good transfers all the time. I’ve had a farebox not write data to anyone’s cards so you could dip a card with $2.75 x1000 times and it’ll be good x1000 times.

If the driver had NYCT Bus or NBP up, the farebox won’t write the transfer data over. 

Also the announcement system does whatever it wants. It like OMNY, works off the destination signs. Farebox can be working just fine and it’s quiet back there. 

Anddd, please take this same energy to go submit a claim, note the bus #, so if there is a problem with the farebox, it can get fixed. 

7 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

Why it gotta be the bus drivers fault? I see the farebox reject perfectly good transfers all the time. I’ve had a farebox not write data to anyone’s cards so you could dip a card with $2.75 x1000 times and it’ll be good x1000 times.

If the driver had NYCT Bus or NBP up, the farebox won’t write the transfer data over. 

Also the announcement system does whatever it wants. It like OMNY, works off the destination signs. Farebox can be working just fine and it’s quiet back there. 

Anddd, please take this same energy to go submit a claim, note the bus #, so if there is a problem with the farebox, it can get fixed. 

I just got quick mad because I hate looking like I cannot afford a bus fare. I don't understand how people can just walk on without paying. I seem so broke and poor. Also, I'd NEVER take my frustration out on drivers but I'll post about it to others about to see what the issue was (like I did with this post). 

Can you send the link or DM me to submit a claim? 

I don't even bother anymore because I've done it for BusTime and other issues and seems like something like that gets washed away. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

Amen to that.  In a similar vein, I applied for a civil service job once where I met both minimum qualifications, but was rejected because they said "you need to meet either qualification, you can't meet both".  In their world, 1+1 doesn't equal 2, it equals 0.  Narrow-minded, petty bureaucratic idiots. 

I’ve always imagined the 1 SBS to run in the middle lanes, I mean, half of the 1 Limited buses already run in the median between Fordham and Burnside. It sucks because they can really put a bus stop before the tunnels entrance for Fordham Road.

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I just got quick mad because I hate looking like I cannot afford a bus fare. I don't understand how people can just walk on without paying. I seem so broke and poor. Also, I'd NEVER take my frustration out on drivers but I'll post about it to others about to see what the issue was (like I did with this post). 

Can you send the link or DM me to submit a claim? 

I don't even bother anymore because I've done it for BusTime and other issues and seems like something like that gets washed away. 

https://efixmetrocard.mtanyct.info/TransferTrouble.aspx

16 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

You wanna know what I truly hate? When bus drivers don't set the fare box correctly and I don't get my transfer. 

Paid $2.75 for the local, paid another $6.75 for the express. 

Shit like that make me wanna go off, don't try to scam me, a**hole. 

And I knew it was the farebox not programmed correctly because the announcements aren't working. 

Another reason to abolish the farebox. 

There is only one setting regarding the fare amount when logging into the fare box. Computers will glitch. I wouldn't worry about it, once the MetroCard gets phased out they're pretty much done. Other than that, you can't program a farebox wrong unless you put in the incorrect route (which most of the time won't let you based the run/route number you input) or you hit the wrong button for the fare setting (Local/Express)

The announcement system is directly tied to the Clever Devices unit that manages the GPS positioning. It goes offline, bus is ghost. It needs to be reset.

10 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Last I heard, it was something to the tune of new employees have to be vaccinated, but current employees are grandfathered and dont have to get the vaccine.

That's disappointing, if still true. Front line MTA employees have more direct contact with the public in closed spaces than, say, sanitation workers

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Are MTA employees required to have covid vaccines like NYC govt employees?

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

Last I heard, it was something to the tune of new employees have to be vaccinated, but current employees are grandfathered and dont have to get the vaccine.

Yeah, weekly mandatory testing for the unvaccinated existing employees and no new employees without the vaccine.

6 minutes ago, TomaszSBklyn said:

Terrific! If you scroll through the past few pages you will notice (examples available upon request, although I am sure you can find them yourself) that quite a few participants in this topic engaged in what you would consider as off-topic discussions.

Are you planning to lecture all of them?

They've been told many times before by the mods, but they never listen. They'll tell each other to stop it, but it never does.

So start bringing those conversations here, and not there.

57 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Soon, the S40 and S90 that serves Richmond Terrace will have more buses throughout the route. The headways may also increase due to increased ridership, Amazon. 

https://www.silive.com/news/2021/10/mta-adds-more-s40s90-trips-to-address-overcrowding-on-amazon-bound-buses.html

Or...hear me out...give the line 60 footers.

55 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Soon, the S40 and S90 that serves Richmond Terrace will have more buses throughout the route. The headways may also increase due to increased ridership, Amazon. 

https://www.silive.com/news/2021/10/mta-adds-more-s40s90-trips-to-address-overcrowding-on-amazon-bound-buses.html

I guess more buses from Queens Village to address those issues.