BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Well I'm sorry I didn't know there was a " discussion still on this"...

I never knew the reason so I simply asked.

Anyways now I know why

Sorry if I came across as a douchebag, as I recall this was discussed in many previous occasions. I was under the impression that the motives were simple and self explanatory.

Not trying to be rude here, so my deepest apologies if you were in fact offended.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realized today that with the S79.. the hybrids are having top speed problems...

I don't normally ride the s79... because I take the 52/53...

but when I do ride the NGs on the S79 I realize that the B/Os won't go above 30mph on the verrazano... at first I was thinking it was because of the incline... but i stood at the front and saw him balancing at 30mph... even when we was going down hill

then today I was on the s93... and we caught up to an S79 before the first bridge tower.. and we bypassed it in the middle lane.. I was on a O7 3G. then when I got off at Fingerboard road the s79 was going through the toll.

now based on these experiences.... it seems as if they don't want the NGs going to top speed for long times

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

Hybrid buses past 40 MPH are prone to kill the BAE system in the bus. Part of the reason why MTA Bus wants to convert their Orion 7s (both originals and Next Gens) to diesel. NYCT should follow suit to be honest.

Hybrid buses past 40 MPH are prone to kill the BAE system in the bus. Part of the reason why MTA Bus wants to convert their Orion 7s (both originals and Next Gens) to diesel. NYCT should follow suit to be honest.

NYCT should follow suit in much of the outer boroughs at least... completely fine with the Manhattan and maybe some of the outer borough fleet outside SI having hybrids.

2 things. #1 took a ride the q44 recently (5895), and I noticed that all of the straps have been removed from the bus...whats up with that? Is this the only bus its done to? Or is this happening with other LFSA's? (For some reason, I've only been catching D60's and XD60's for a couple weeks now on the Bx22 & Bx5)

#2 Took a ride around MCH this morning. It definitely doesn't look like its gonna be ready for the fall pick. Unless they do like they did with grand ave (finish construction while the other half of the facility is open for business.)

Edited by Blitz

2 things. #1 took a ride the q44 recently (5895), and I noticed that all of the straps have been removed from the bus...whats up with that? Is this the only bus its done to? Or is this happening with other LFSA's? (For some reason, I've only been catching D60's and XD60's for a couple weeks now on the Bx22 & Bx5)

#2 Took a ride around MCH this morning. It definitely doesn't look like its gonna be ready for the fall pick. Unless they do like they did with grand ave (finish construction while the other half of the facility is open for business.)

About #1:

http://www.subchat.com/buschat/read.asp?Id=281012

NOVA going STRAPLESS!

Posted by BigBusDriver on Sat Aug 3 11:37:03 2013

In the Tuskegee Airmen depot, ALL of the NOVA bus hanging straps are in the process of being cut off. The term "StrapHanger" will NOT be used in any 5200, or 5800 buses.

The story goes that some BIG guy saw some kind of cut or tear in one of the straps, and on camera, gave the strap a GREAT tug, causing it to rip and come off the pole, and the downward momentum caused the BIG guy to *SMACK* some poor youth in the noggin'!

Before the ambulance retrieved the injured 'yute', the legal department said "They gotta GO!" So maintenance has been busy hacking away at the poor straps.... 

Hence, the title of this BUS thread..."NOVA going STRAPLESS!"

Can't wait for the first accident report that says "Customer reached for non-existent strap and planted face on bus floor...."

STILL

LOL@NOVA NONSENSE

I always knew those straps were gonna be a problem. I've seen a few missing here and there. Its not about the straps ripping (they're actually pretty strong), but actually how its held to the poles. Its pretty much one long strap looped around itself and held together by one screw and 2 metal pieces (sorta like a sandwich).

There's been a few straps that failed on me, but the strap didn't pop. The screw came out of the metal fasteners and eventually the whole thing came apart.

What straps are you talking about??  :huh:  Wheelchair straps?

I always knew those straps were gonna be a problem. I've seen a few missing here and there. Its not about the straps ripping (they're actually pretty strong), but actually how its held to the poles. Its pretty much one long strap looped around itself and held together by one screw and 2 metal pieces (sorta like a sandwich).

There's been a few straps that failed on me, but the strap didn't pop. The screw came out of the metal fasteners and eventually the whole thing came apart.

The straps are strong, until they get any kind of small cut or tear in them.

You should see me on the local bus, never touch the poles ever. What's even funnier is how I manage to stay steady.

Well as long as they're not the greasy poles that you find on the (1)(3)(7) and sometimes on the (D) or (Q) then I don't mind touching them since the newer poles aren't all greasy like that.  Skeeves me out.  Either way I always wash my hands with soap and hot water immediately when I get somewhere that has a clean bathroom.

Well as long as they're not the greasy poles that you find on the (1)(3)(7) and sometimes on the (D) or (Q) then I don't mind touching them since the newer poles aren't all greasy like that.  Skeeves me out.  Either way I always wash my hands with soap and hot water immediately when I get somewhere that has a clean bathroom.

why go to bathroom when you can carry this...

purell-hand-sanitizer.jpg21consu.184.jpg

why go to bathroom when you can carry this...

purell-hand-sanitizer.jpg21consu.184.jpg

That stuff skeeves me out just as much. I never use hand sanitizer because it supposedly just makes things worse.  The best solution is HOT water and soap and a good soap-up and rinse.  The one thing I do carry with me are several paper towels, this way I don't have to touch door handles and stuff and recontaminate myself after washing my hands.  I never get that.  Why wash your hands for if you're going to go and touch a door handle right after that when you know that some people NEVER wash their hands?  

I always remember what my uncle told me years ago when he took me on the bus with him.  He said that they (this was when the depot was 100th street NEVER clean the insides of the buses) and that was back in the early 90's.  I guess that's still true about Tuskegee.  lol  Different name same set up.  <_<

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

i forgot to ask which bus vender is out in  Montauk  and takes which the bus for service under warranty etc cause my uncle (the retired ta operator i mentioned) sometimes gets called to drive the buses out to and from the vendors cause its costly for regular b/o's to do it according to him.

since it got caught does anyone know?

I realized today that with the S79.. the hybrids are having top speed problems...

I don't normally ride the s79... because I take the 52/53...

but when I do ride the NGs on the S79 I realize that the B/Os won't go above 30mph on the verrazano... at first I was thinking it was because of the incline... but i stood at the front and saw him balancing at 30mph... even when we was going down hill

then today I was on the s93... and we caught up to an S79 before the first bridge tower.. and we bypassed it in the middle lane.. I was on a O7 3G. then when I got off at Fingerboard road the s79 was going through the toll.

now based on these experiences.... it seems as if they don't want the NGs going to top speed for long times

Late response here, but I feel this is one of those things they could've solved by giving Yukon some 3Gs (32 in this case) to be wrapped and Castleton some hybrids in exchange. Routes that run on highways just shouldn't run hybrids.