BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Why not? It will only make bus service faster... unlike some people on this forum im a big supporter of +SBS+ and other services like it

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk now Free

Again the B41 is not as heavy as the B44 is...The most the B41 ever gets packed (From what I noticed when i take it) is from Kings Plz to Nostrand...Plus Flatbush is a pretty tight street with cars double parking and traffic. It's best to keep it like the way it is now.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

does JFK always park their artics outside the depot on weekends? and do they bring it out weekends too?

1. Yes, they are parked outside the depot on weekends, due to the lack of space.

2. They usually put one on the Q10 on the weekends.

it is pointless without enforcement. They don't even do enough enforcement as it is. Yes i do agree the off board payment and loading from all the doors is good, but i'm not optimistic it will work given how the riders here would likely just farebeat despite the fine threat.

I think what could be done is to install cameras at +SBS+ stops. The camera would record everything at the stop and the B/O would be able to watch it on a T.V. screen the camera sends the recording to. Then when someone tries to fare beat, the camera catches him and the B/O sees it and when the bus pulls into the stop, since the B/O knows that the person tried to fare beat, when the person tries to board the bus (s)he say "No you can't ride. You were caught fare beating." Though I question how expensive this would be.....

I think what could be done is to install cameras at +SBS+ stops. The camera would record everything at the stop and the B/O would be able to watch it on a T.V. screen the camera sends the recording to. Then when someone tries to fare beat, the camera catches him and the B/O sees it and when the bus pulls into the stop, since the B/O knows that the person tried to fare beat, when the person tries to board the bus (s)he say "No you can't ride. You were caught fare beating." Though I question how expensive this would be.....

Not only that, it would waste too much time. The driver would have to look at every single person and remember them if they wanted to report them, which could technically distract the driver from driving as they would be thinking about that person. Also, what are they going to do, stop the bus every time a farebeater gets on or call for help every time? Besides, I see a lot of bus drivers let people go anyway if they don't have enough fare. 

On a side note, that is the one main problem with +SBS, it's too easy to farebeat. There aren't enough eagle teams out there, and I can't imagine what it will be like after many more +SBS lines come out. If they had at least three teams on one route, it would work. There's also a downside to the eagle teams, as they delay the bus when they check tickets.

What would be ideal is for the stops that have room, put two turnstiles (like at orchard beach) and have Entrance only through the front two doors. It may be costly, but it would definitely cut down on farebeating. It's also faster than those ticket machines. If someone only has coins, then they would put it in something like the +SBS ticket machine for coins, except it gives out a paper transfer and it can be used on the turnstiles. 

An MVM isn't necessary (except for the busy stops that can handle this), as the current +SBS machines never had the option of putting money on the card. 

Oh, and if anyone tries to jump the turnstile, they're caught on camera. If available, an undercover officer could stay at the SBS Station and catch anyone farebeating.

Also, on the street side, there would be a fence of some sort, except where the doors would be, so people can't walk right into the bus station without paying their fare. Where the doors would be for the bus, another set of doors at the bus station can be placed and they'll only unlock or open when the bus comes or the doors on the bus open. This will eliminate all possible options for people just walking into the bus station without paying their fare. 

There are two issues with my idea... It's costly and there's only a few stops that have enough room to handle bus stations. If some stops had the current method and others the bus stations, then farebeaters would simply say they got on at one of the bus stations. There are other methods as well, such as when the tap card comes out for the MTA, people can just tap their pass on the farebox. It's alot faster than card dipping. We'd have to wait until 2019 though, and by that time the MTA could lose alot of money off farebeaters.

Edited by 4P3607

What is the capacity of coins in a farebox? I want to know because, if i was to ride an express bus with a friend or family member and I paid the $12 fare for the two of us in nickles would the fare box overflow at some point? What happens if a farebox overflows during a B/O's run what does he do

Edited by NYSubwayBuff

^ Been happening all the time ever since the 14th-SF shuttles started, it's a funny one.

5 RTSes on the M8 right now, that is what I like to see!

Yet I looked at the stops on the M5 and I didn't actually see Chambers Street. I too have seen RTS'. Their signage is sadly not as bright as the newer buses, so it's difficult to get a good shot of the signage.

4p: on the orchard beach type turnstile setup, I dunno. I know what you mean regarding those, but I don't think you can really do that unless it's maybe the big hubs like Kings Plaza etc. I guess probably they should have either 1 member of the eagle team on like every other bus or have a team at the major spots like near the Junction on av H with the B44 sbs. There really is no fool proof solution to beat the farebeaters unless more money is spent.

As for non sbs lines, I've always thought that places like the Junction should have 2 separate stands: 1 to off load and the other for loading. That way people can get off from both ends of the bus and then the bus pulls up to the actual stop, they won't need to open the back door and everyone would have to go thru the front.

Agree 100% on that one. The B41 and B46 operate on congested corridors plus they need artics as well as they are two of the busiest bus routes in the city.

What those 2 need are buses evenly spaced apart. Artics is nice, but if they are bunched together like the other regular 40' buses are, then you have the same issue with overcrowding at the bus stops and then the farebeaters looking to get on the bus more quickly.

Holyyy shytttt!!!!

Thosee ZF RTS are sooo damnn powerful!!!

A B/O OOS was driving...and while im in school i hear it take off about 300ft away. He/she floored it! Got damnn!!

I also heard it roaring for two more blocks.

Stop using your phone in school :P