BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite a few arctics are out and about today. Is there any reason why they're using quite a few more arctics more than usual today? A lot of routes are either mixing them (M101) but some are almost completely arctic (Bx1). A few are 100% 40 footers though (B44 SBS).

32 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

Quite a few arctics are out and about today. Is there any reason why they're using quite a few more arctics more than usual today? A lot of routes are either mixing them (M101) but some are almost completely arctic (Bx1). A few are 100% 40 footers though (B44 SBS).

Because it's a weekday and they need to run buses. It'd be fine if this were a weekend and then they could run 40-footers but that's hard to do today with all those buses outside.

So today's commute was worse than yesterday and as expected everything was miserable. I took two buses in the morning, the B82 which was late but oddly enough it wasn't as crowded as usual and the B68 which came on time being how slow it is but taking it midday was worse as it was very slow indeed to come on time, the commute coming back home was even worse. I have a field job so I travel for work and I ended up in  Benshourts Brooklyn at the end of the day  where the 82 is my only  way to get home. It was late again but this time it was almost crowded so I got on anyway. Happened to get a seat and as soon as we got to the midwood section of kings hwy that is where things got even worse. Everyone was jammed packed in that bus and even people went through the back even with the cops outside making sure cars don't park in the bus stop. The bus driver kept saying he's not moving until everyone is behind the white line. So we stood at B &Q train station stop for like 5 minutes furthering us from being on time to the next stop and another 5 minutes at the ocean avenue stop for the same thing the bus driver was saying before. So this lady got feed up and started yelling "There's too many people on the bus, can you move back please, the bus wouldn't be so crowded if you weren't late!!!"

tbh its sad because this happens everyday with or without snow. The buses are so jammed packed and its not only just because the buses are late but because I feel Brooklyn bus system lacks the equipment like the other boroughs do (excluding staten Island). I just feel that even now the MTA should have at least tried to fix overcrowding on bus routes in the outer boroughs a long time ago and not just now. I could name stories of times I rode the B41 and had passengers curse out the driver for not driving because the bus was too crowded or times I had to skip buses on the B82 because of overcrowding. As a passenger I could stomach a bus being late but I can't stomach being crammed in a bus on the daily or skipping three bus fully loaded. I guess I get upset when I see Queens getting artics to help its overcrowding because I feel like its just as needed here in brooklyn. I don't think we should have to wait till a line goes sbs to turn it into an artic route. MTA should be focused on customer satisfaction than trying to use ways like send 5 short buses and have everyone on top of each other. Doesn't make me want to take the bus often.    

16 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

So today's commute was worse than yesterday and as expected everything was miserable. I took two buses in the morning, the B82 which was late but oddly enough it wasn't as crowded as usual and the B68 which came on time being how slow it is but taking it midday was worse as it was very slow indeed to come on time, the commute coming back home was even worse. I have a field job so I travel for work and I ended up in  Benshourts Brooklyn at the end of the day  where the 82 is my only  way to get home. It was late again but this time it was almost crowded so I got on anyway. Happened to get a seat and as soon as we got to the midwood section of kings hwy that is where things got even worse. Everyone was jammed packed in that bus and even people went through the back even with the cops outside making sure cars don't park in the bus stop. The bus driver kept saying he's not moving until everyone is behind the white line. So we stood at B &Q train station stop for like 5 minutes furthering us from being on time to the next stop and another 5 minutes at the ocean avenue stop for the same thing the bus driver was saying before. So this lady got feed up and started yelling "There's too many people on the bus, can you move back please, the bus wouldn't be so crowded if you weren't late!!!"

tbh its sad because this happens everyday with or without snow. The buses are so jammed packed and its not only just because the buses are late but because I feel Brooklyn bus system lacks the equipment like the other boroughs do (excluding staten Island). I just feel that even now the MTA should have at least tried to fix overcrowding on bus routes in the outer boroughs a long time ago and not just now. I could name stories of times I rode the B41 and had passengers curse out the driver for not driving because the bus was too crowded or times I had to skip buses on the B82 because of overcrowding. As a passenger I could stomach a bus being late but I can't stomach being crammed in a bus on the daily or skipping three bus fully loaded. I guess I get upset when I see Queens getting artics to help its overcrowding because I feel like its just as needed here in brooklyn. I don't think we should have to wait till a line goes sbs to turn it into an artic route. MTA should be focused on customer satisfaction than trying to use ways like send 5 short buses and have everyone on top of each other. Doesn't make me want to take the bus often.    

Here's my opinion about this and what I'm going to say is going to pretty shock you. 

First off: You have to take into account that the buses are going to be delayed due to the snow storm. There's something called black ice. The bus has to maintain a certain speed inorder to get to its destination. From what I gather from your story is that you may need to leave a few minutes early. Buses are going to get packed and there's no way around it. I've seen operators throughout the city enforcing the nonstanding on the white line. It's not only an (MTA) regulation. But also, federal LAW. Heaven forbid the driver has to slam on the brakes and you (passenger) flying head first through the windshield while standing on that line. I've seen it happen and it's no pleasant site. 

So for you and the other commuters that were  inconvenienced due to the driver doing his/her job is simply this. That driver has your life on their hands. 

To your 2nd point: It's easier said than done when it comes to artic allotment for Brooklyn. You need updated facilities to accomindate the artics. Hence why East New York, Grand Avenue and Flatbush are being updated for expansion of artics. Also, take into account in Brooklyn there are narrow streets that some bus routes have to take. (I wish I could go into more, but that will wait for another time). 

Edited by Future ENY OP

i know this is more work force related, but does anyone have any official updates about the union situation at Spring Creek Depot? (the alleged ATU Local 1181 to TWU Local 100-A thing) the reason why i ask is because a classmate of mine is currently a Far Rock operator (ATU local 1179 member) and there's legit chatter at JFK/Far Rock of joining TWU, following Spring Creek's lead. any legit info would be more than appreciated.

5 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

i know this is more work force related, but does anyone have any official updates about the union situation at Spring Creek Depot? (the alleged ATU Local 1181 to TWU Local 100-A thing) the reason why i ask is because a classmate of mine is currently a Far Rock operator (ATU local 1179 member) and there's legit chatter at JFK/Far Rock of joining TWU, following Spring Creek's lead. any legit info would be more than appreciated.

As of right now. I don't have much info on this.  However, as of right now Spring Creek is TWU100-A. Haven't heard anything about  JFK/Far Rock. If that's the case (IMO) that's excellent. Simply means more uniformed work within the division and more benefits. 

2 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

As of right now. I don't have much info on this.  However, as of right now Spring Creek is TWU100-A. Haven't heard anything about  JFK/Far Rock. If that's the case (IMO) that's excellent. Simply means more uniformed work within the division and more benefits. 

thank you. i haven't been able to get a straight answer on Spring Creek from anyone in Local 100, TA or MaBSTOA union reps. as far as JFK/Far Rockaway... the talk is valid. I've spoken to several operators, especially operators who originally applied for the MaBSTOA exam, but took the Bus Company title to get hired quicker. just like Spring Creek, it seems as if the only operators who want ATU Local 1179 are the former Green Lines employees.

3 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Here's my opinion about this and what I'm going to say is going to pretty shock you. 

First off: You have to take into account that the buses are going to be delayed due to the snow storm. There's something called black ice. The bus has to maintain a certain speed inorder to get to its destination. From what I gather from your story is that you may need to leave a few minutes early. Buses are going to get packed and there's no way around it. I've seen operators throughout the city enforcing the nonstanding on the white line. It's not only an (MTA) regulation. But also, federal LAW. Heaven forbid the driver has to slam on the brakes and you (passenger) flying head first through the windshield while standing on that line. I've seen it happen and it's no pleasant site. 

So for you and the other commuters that were  inconvenienced due to the driver doing his/her job is simply this. That driver has your life on their hands. 

To your 2nd point: It's easier said than done when it comes to artic allotment for Brooklyn. You need updated facilities to accomindate the artics. Hence why East New York, Grand Avenue and Flatbush are being updated for expansion of artics. Also, take into account in Brooklyn there are narrow streets that some bus routes have to take. (I wish I could go into more, but that will wait for another time). 

I said whether it’s snow or not the buses are late. Trust me I know for your points when it comes down to weather and bus driving. But I was saying this is an occurrence that happens with or without snow when it comes down to buses being delayed and such. There’s congestion, and large crowds that the mta never seemed to care about or help solve. Also I’m not blaming the driver for anything I was just telling from what I’ve heard another person say. 

But in your response to my second point the MTA had years upon years to try and update our transit to handle crowds. It’s like no one was paying attention until all the problems had to be broadcasted for the MTA to get the memo. Yes updating facilities to handle artics and other equipment needed to be done but it needed to be done while our city was growing. The result of such a late response resulted in bus ridership declining and more cars on the streets thus causing more congestion which further more results in passengers being fed up looking for other ways to get to work or school. Some routes might have to take narrow streets but I’ve rode tons of bus routes in bk to know that some of the can be rerouted a Street over or two to accommodate an artic on the route. But this was years of neglect. 

But playing devils advocate I feel like the public should of been more vocal and expressed change for a better system by attending hearings more often. I saw a little documentary on the Q53sbs and there was s women who helped try and get the service implemented for her community. It’s a public system so the public is just a responsible as much as MTA. 

6 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

As a born and raised Brooklynite, there is no question that local bus service has deteriorated significantly across the board. Let's put the snowstorm to the side. Service SUCKS. No better way to say it, and there's no excuse for it either. The (MTA) has continued to cut service instead of adding it where needed. The gaps between buses and the frequency in service is abysmal, and they don't give a damn because nobody is making enough noise. This is a problem across the board. Overcrowded buses that are further delayed because of stingy service. The first people that make excuses usually aren't the ones riding these packed buses, nor do they have their jobs depend on it, and if they do, I can't understand for the life of me how they don't see the problems with how atrocious service has become. I don't even have a need for the buses much when I'm Brooklyn, but when I do, I just huff it to the subway most of the time, because I know I'm going to be waiting a while. Missing buses and poor frequencies are pretty much a given now, and it's been this way for YEARS.

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

As a born and raised Brooklynite, there is no question that local bus service has deteriorated significantly across the board. Let's put the snowstorm to the side. Service SUCKS. No better way to say it, and there's no excuse for it either. The (MTA) has continued to cut service instead of adding it where needed. The gaps between buses and the frequency in service is abysmal, and they don't give a damn because nobody is making enough noise. This is a problem across the board. Overcrowded buses that are further delayed because of stingy service. The first people that make excuses usually aren't the ones riding these packed buses, nor do they have their jobs depend on it, and if they do, I can't understand for the life of me how they don't see the problems with how atrocious service has become. I don't even have a need for the buses much when I'm Brooklyn, but when I do, I just huff it to the subway most of the time, because I know I'm going to be waiting a while. Missing buses and poor frequencies are pretty much a given now, and it's been this way for YEARS.

I as well think that is why service has gotten so bad over the years was because people just dealt with it and didn't make enough noise for the MTA to actually do something. I believe any native new yorker would know you just wait for the bus and when it comes it comes and leave earlier to catch it. But as recent years came along a lot more people started paying more attention to schedules. I took the B41 which was terrible, B82 which is horrid, and others as well. Service is just bad. I remember one of many times that I walked from flatbush junction to bergen beach because the B41 Bergen beach branch bus didn't come on time. Sometimes if I have to start my day in midwood I walk four long blocks to the B100 because it comes close to on time and not as crowded as buses like the B82 in which I have to skip four crowded buses till I get on one. I happened to make it home before the bus in 30 minutes which should have been a 10 minute ride. That should say something how bad service is. I feel as if the MTA pours a lot more of its money in areas such as Manhattan other than places such as Brooklyn where people have to depend on bus to the train. I know now they're trying to fix it but its really late for that imo. They had a very long time to try and fix things but yet they never tried to. More money being mishandled in areas they think its going to thrive in but in reality its just wasted. 

1 hour ago, Brillant93 said:

I as well think that is why service has gotten so bad over the years was because people just dealt with it and didn't make enough noise for the MTA to actually do something. I believe any native new yorker would know you just wait for the bus and when it comes it comes and leave earlier to catch it. But as recent years came along a lot more people started paying more attention to schedules. I took the B41 which was terrible, B82 which is horrid, and others as well. Service is just bad. I remember one of many times that I walked from flatbush junction to bergen beach because the B41 Bergen beach branch bus didn't come on time. Sometimes if I have to start my day in midwood I walk four long blocks to the B100 because it comes close to on time and not as crowded as buses like the B82 in which I have to skip four crowded buses till I get on one. I happened to make it home before the bus in 30 minutes which should have been a 10 minute ride. That should say something how bad service is. I feel as if the MTA pours a lot more of its money in areas such as Manhattan other than places such as Brooklyn where people have to depend on bus to the train. I know now they're trying to fix it but its really late for that imo. They had a very long time to try and fix things but yet they never tried to. More money being mishandled in areas they think its going to thrive in but in reality its just wasted. 

Manhattan has it bad too. Don't be fooled. A lot of the people on here essentially excusing the (MTA) 's poor service either weren't around or are too young to remember say in the 90s when bus service was MUCH better. Buses were scheduled more frequently because the (MTA) 's loading guidelines were better, meaning that buses didn't have to be as crowded to meet their loading guidelines. However, that has all changed. They have cut service on many lines to the bare bones. On lines where buses aren't as frequent you feel it, and you also feel it on more crowded lines since you can't get on. I went to Queens today in Whitestone. After I finished shopping my plan was to take the Q76 from Target back to the QM2. Well the Q76 was a no-show and the bus only runs twice an hour. While I waited, three Q20s came (two Q20As, and a Q20B). I opted for the second Q20A. As I waited for the QM2 back to Manhattan, I never saw a Q76 head toward Whitestone. Only one came going towards College Point, so that's one bus for the entire hour in frigid conditions. I could've walked seeing that I walked from the QM2 originally, but I didn't feel like it.

37 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Manhattan has it bad too. Don't be fooled. A lot of the people on here essentially excusing the (MTA) 's poor service either weren't around or are too young to remember say in the 90s when bus service was MUCH better. Buses were scheduled more frequently because the (MTA) 's loading guidelines were better, meaning that buses didn't have to be as crowded to meet their loading guidelines. However, that has all changed. They have cut service on many lines to the bare bones. On lines where buses aren't as frequent you feel it, and you also feel it on more crowded lines since you can't get on. I went to Queens today in Whitestone. After I finished shopping my plan was to take the Q76 from Target back to the QM2. Well the Q76 was a no-show and the bus only runs twice an hour. While I waited, three Q20s came (two Q20As, and a Q20B). I opted for the second Q20A. As I waited for the QM2 back to Manhattan, I never saw a Q76 head toward Whitestone. Only one came going towards College Point, so that's one bus for the entire hour in frigid conditions. I could've walked seeing that I walked from the QM2 originally, but I didn't feel like it.

And thats another thing, who wants to wait in the cold for a bus that is either a no show or crowded? Man I thought the MTA back in late 60s to 90s was bad (hearing from stories). Seems like they just put on a new coat of paint but really made stupid decisions behind the scenes. 

47 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I agree, the MTA puts all these passenger counter people out there, but seem to do nothing with the data other than cut runs. 

They show up like once a year (?), and even then, they sometimes show up on the worst days possible. I have said it time and time over, the MTA is short handing the Q38 in the morning. 10 minute headways are needed, and not 12 minute headways. Yet, one day, traffic was lighter than usual for whatever reason, and behold, there was a traffic checker. Like, how do they expect to get accurate results? I wonder if they base stuff on the trend of ridership on said trips over the course of several years (because I do not see them out there that much).

I also don't think many bus operators have an opinion of them either, since the depot may have a contract that a certain amount of runs need to be maintain, therefore reductions can occur even without legitimate reasoning, but as long as the net increases and decreases is close to neutral. I want to say that if the unions didn't cover them, or didn't exist, the operators would throw more of a fit, along with passengers.

On 1/6/2018 at 11:26 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

They show up like once a year (?), and even then, they sometimes show up on the worst days possible. I have said it time and time over, the MTA is short handing the Q38 in the morning. 10 minute headways are needed, and not 12 minute headways. Yet, one day, traffic was lighter than usual for whatever reason, and behold, there was a traffic checker. Like, how do they expect to get accurate results? I wonder if they base stuff on the trend of ridership on said trips over the course of several years (because I do not see them out there that much).

I also don't think many bus operators have an opinion of them either, since the depot may have a contract that a certain amount of runs need to be maintain, therefore reductions can occur even without legitimate reasoning, but as long as the net increases and decreases is close to neutral. I want to say that if the unions didn't cover them, or didn't exist, the operators would throw more of a fit, along with passengers.

College Point Depot in general is bad at maintaining proper schedule for its routes.  I have to put up with that crap all the time on the Q25 and I see it on the Q23, Q38, Q65 as well. What I’ll never get is why at 9pm to 12am at night are buses constantly super late or missing all together. It’s bad enough for example the Q25 doesn’t run frequent enough which I think has to do with the Q17 also serving Kissena Blvd and being more frequent. You could see 3-5 Q17’s before one Q25 shows up it’s horrible. Even though buses are usually suppose to run every 15-20 minutes sometimes you won’t see a bus for 30-40 minutes which is unacceptable. A lot of CP routes have poor on time performance and if the MTA is clearly taking this data why aren’t they doing anything to correct that. When I look at the data and see for example the Q25 that is on time around 50% of the time, I would automatically try to assess the problem and try to come up with a solution to fix it. The Q38 is another one I don’t like to deal with, because not only is it not frequent enough it also suffers from that reliability problem where for example it’s after 4pm and I’m trying to get from Queens Blvd and Woodhaven blvd to the Middle Village station (M) station but the bus fails to show up for 45 minutes making me run behind schedule. This is why you see people using Uber and other methods of transportation more. When you provide poor service don’t expect people to put up with it and it’s really shameful that more people don’t speak up and complain about this. The typical mentality of the average New Yorker is like “ crap the MTA is running like garbage, time to call an Uber or drive myself”. 

2 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

College Point Depot in general is bad at maintaining proper schedule for its routes.  I have to put up with that crap all the time on the Q25 and I see it on the Q23, Q38, Q65 as well. What I’ll never get is why at 9pm to 12am at night are buses constantly super late or missing all together. It’s bad enough for example the Q25 doesn’t run frequent enough which I think has to do with the Q17 also serving Kissena Blvd and being more frequent. You could see 3-5 Q17’s before one Q25 shows up it’s horrible. Even though buses are usually suppose to run every 15-20 minutes sometimes you won’t see a bus for 30-40 minutes which is unacceptable. A lot of CP routes have poor on time performance and if the MTA is clearly taking this data why aren’t they doing anything to correct that. When I look at the data and see for example the Q25 that is on time around 50% of the time, I would automatically try to assess the problem and try to come up with a solution to fix it. The Q38 is another one I don’t like to deal with, because not only is it not frequent enough it also suffers from that reliability problem where for example it’s after 4pm and I’m trying to get from Queens Blvd and Woodhaven blvd to the Middle Village station (M) station but the bus fails to show up for 45 minutes making me run behind schedule. This is why you see people using Uber and other methods of transportation more. When you provide poor service don’t expect people to put up with it and it’s really shameful that more people don’t speak up and complain about this. The typical mentality of the average New Yorker is like “ crap the MTA is running like garbage, time to call an Uber or drive myself”. 

College Point has NO schedule, period. Saturday I took the QM2 out to Whitestone. The bus was early to every stop. Thank God I got to my stop early. Then she acted like she didn't want to stop. I had to emphatically put my Metrocard out as if to say stop the damn bus. Then she finally signals that she is stopping and then "lectures" me about how I need to stand back. I didn't even acknowledge her. If she was doing her job, there would be no need for me to step into the street to hail the bus. Then after everyone is seated and we're on the expressway, that's when she decides to start asking everyone if they're going here and there. 

Rode a Quill LFS on the M8 today. These buses can't even be compared to RTSes in regular service. Barely any interior space, immediately crowded with people, insane cramped backwards-facing rear set setup, horrible jerky transmission, rough brakes--major loss for Quill giving up those 5200s. 

2 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Rode a Quill LFS on the M8 today. These buses can't even be compared to RTSes in regular service. Barely any interior space, immediately crowded with people, insane cramped backwards-facing rear set setup, horrible jerky transmission, rough brakes--major loss for Quill giving up those 5200s. 

Well those LFS buses are hand-me-downs that started out on Staten Island and then came to Queens, so you can't expect much. I do agree that they look and feel small though even with less seating. 

As of Sunday, January 7th, 2018, the MTA has published several updated bus route timetables. Referencing the joint Q15/Q15A bus route timetable, a single, truncated trip on the Q15 (Flushing-bound) has been added to weekday service, scheduled to depart from 7th Avenue and 151st Street at 2:05 PM. Seeing that there already exists another truncated trip on the Q15 (Flushing-bound 2:37 PM trip scheduled on weekdays), originating at 150th Street and 15th Drive, I wonder if the MTA will eventually reduce service on the Q15/Q15A bus routes east of 151st Street and 7th Avenue in Whitestone, Queens. In the past, there was neighborhood opposition against having the Q15 and it's branch-complement, the Q15A, travel through the residential and affluent neighborhoods of Whitestone and Beechhurst. However, I believe these changes were implemented for two reasons: 1.) To provide increased service to the school-aged students from Whitestone and Beechhurst who use the Q15/Q15A to commute to and from school. 2.) To provide increased service to select tenants who live along 150th Street. (This is where the majority of the Q15/Q15A patrons are clustered.) I doubt that the wealthy adult and geriatric populations who are from Whitestone and Beechhurst care to bother utilizing the Q15/Q15A; their income, access to express bus service, and ownership of high-end automobiles do not warrant them to. Ultimately, the demographics don't justify having a public bus route travel through a suburban paradise saturated with multimillion dollar properties, except for the reasons stated above, highly dependent on my second reason. In no way, shape, or form are these the exact reasons as to why the mentioned service changes were made; merely a thought based on one of several transit-related topics I find interesting and which could lead to a development of more sound insight in the future.

Random thought:

Since West Farms has 20 NGs on-loan, I was thinking wouldn't it make sense to use the RTS instead of NGs there since it's only on the weekdays more buses are used in-service (As in the leftover 5200s from MJQ, 5100s that were at MTA Bus previously). 

Edited by Calvin