BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

After watching multiple videos on youtube, the ZF transmission should’ve been the standard in all RTS. That combo mix with a DD50ERG is unreal. The ones the MTA have 5075-5124 are excellent as well, and I wonder why they only went with 50 buses. Even NJT had some ZF RTS. Theres a video on YouTube (RTS 1579), unbelievable sound. I remember when I first started riding the ZF RTS on the B36/B74, I used to be like I rode a “mean one”, because the engine used to roar louder than the Allison ones. I don’t even like the RTS model, but enjoyed riding the ZF ones because of the roar. Good times, I miss those days. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I frequent in Canarsie a lot and I can tell you one thing.  There hasn't been talk about +SBS+  to hit the B17. The 17 doesn't even have limited service. So for that route to get SBS is beyond me. 

Sorry 😐 but not sorry. I don't see the 17 getting +SBS+ service. 

I was talking about the b82. 

West Farms has had a significant chunk of the F shuttle lately, not just the weekend service but even the overnight. Why buses are deadheading to the Bronx to cover a downtown shuttle is beyond me, but I'm always happy to hear the rare sound of a DD50 CNG in Lower Manhattan. Hasn't happened much over the year. JG had pieces of that shuttle over the summer, and the most notable was back in 2010 on the D shuttle, when a couple of the Bronx depots covered that run along with 126th and MV. I have some ancient photos of WF's 1996 O5s running that shuttle, but I never caught the O5 CNGs they sent. I remember thinking I was going crazy seeing a V CNG on 8th Street, later realizing what the route was. 

Closest I ever got to a shot of that was when CP sent buses for the Sandy shuttle in 2012, and one of them was 9930. Sandy was a goddamn nightmare to deal with but a busfanner's wet dream. 9930 I caught right by Astor Place, which looked beyond out of place.

33 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

West Farms has had a significant chunk of the F shuttle lately, not just the weekend service but even the overnight. Why buses are deadheading to the Bronx to cover a downtown shuttle is beyond me, but I'm always happy to hear the rare sound of a DD50 CNG in Lower Manhattan. Hasn't happened much over the year. JG had pieces of that shuttle over the summer, and the most notable was back in 2010 on the D shuttle, when a couple of the Bronx depots covered that run along with 126th and MV. I have some ancient photos of WF's 1996 O5s running that shuttle, but I never caught the O5 CNGs they sent. I remember thinking I was going crazy seeing a V CNG on 8th Street, later realizing what the route was. 

Closest I ever got to a shot of that was when CP sent buses for the Sandy shuttle in 2012, and one of them was 9930. Sandy was a goddamn nightmare to deal with but a busfanner's wet dream. 9930 I caught right by Astor Place, which looked beyond out of place.

Interesting...

The last time they had this GO, Flatbush had a large piece and sent a few of their SBS XD40s.

2 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Good times lol

This only happened because they ran that super huge 1 shuttle in Manhattan & The Bronx.

Pa22pre.jpg

Ptl6kuf.jpg

Edited by Cait Sith

I wonder what streets are the worst for transit. With congestion, double parking, street size, and just plain out just being ripe with confusion. I think the worst street that I have seen or rode on was avenue J in brooklyn. Double parked cars, trucks, just blocks traffic for blocks on end and the buses can't even move. 

10 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Good times lol

This only happened because they ran that super huge 1 shuttle in Manhattan & The Bronx.

[photos]

That 9842 was the one I always wished I caught. Gun Hill had 6128 out there, and West Farms sent 671 (back before that was a CS bus) as well, but that CNG was the prize.

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

That 9842 was the one I always wished I caught. Gun Hill had 6128 out there, and West Farms sent 671 (back before that was a CS bus) as well, but that CNG was the prize.

I remember riding 9842 on the (2) shuttle bus in Brooklyn a few years back. Best O5 CNG I ever rode.

25 minutes ago, Statty said:

Saw m18 bus sign at a stop. Anyone have any info on it? Is it making a come back?

http://imgur.com/zuIGsOR

Photo was taken infront of amsterdam depot.

It's been there forever, no one changed the signs at that bus stop after the M18 was eliminated... It's not coming back.

2 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

It's a shuttle route, why is service like that?

It's more or less, free so to speak because it includes a free transfer to the subway and you can basically go anywhere in NYC with that. MTA prob feels it ain't cost-effective but most of the time people walk through the wide open gate at Canarsie station anyways so not like it makes it difference. LMAO!

I managed to track bus #5205 on BusTime and see it operate on the B54 route this morning from my apartment window. It's been a long while since I've seen an RTS bus on the B54, but it was great to see one (and one from the 1998-99 group, at that) operating along Myrtle Avenue again.

Edited by Keon Milton

2 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

It's more or less, free so to speak because it includes a free transfer to the subway and you can basically go anywhere in NYC with that. MTA prob feels it ain't cost-effective but most of the time people walk through the wide open gate at Canarsie station anyways so not like it makes it difference. LMAO!

I use the Canarsie Rock Park station regularly and rarely, if ever see people farebeat by walking though the B42 gate, people use it to exit the station though. To farebeat at that station you gotta wait by the entrance that leads onto E98th Street, as soon as someone uses the gate to exit the system, just walk right in :D

I eat good off of that free transfer, so many times where I went to my destination and was done under 2 hours and swipe into the subway system and it says transfer rather than take another fare :D

I ride the B42 fairly often but I didn't know it had reliability problems, I usually ride it weekday middays and it was always on time, coming home I rarely take it though due to crowds, rather walk. There has been times I walked down Rockaway Parkway and not ONE Pier bound B42 would pass me, and I live near the 3rd stop on the line Rock Park bound which is about a 20 min walk from the (L) station. Weekends the B42 sucks, I just assumed it had longer headways cause it was the weekend:lol: a while back I would regularly see bunched 42's on Saturday afternoon, how does a route that short bunch on a Saturday!? I also seen people get flagged during off peak hours, I posted about that in this thread before.

50 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I use the Canarsie Rock Park station regularly and rarely, if ever see people farebeat by walking though the B42 gate, people use it to exit the station though. To farebeat at that station you gotta wait by the entrance that leads onto E98th Street, as soon as someone uses the gate to exit the system, just walk right in :D

I'd be careful saying that on here if I were you! Although Transit Division 33 is supposed to control that station however, they don't. I did something like that back in the day and I got a warning. This time they send you to TD33 than straight to Downtown Brooklyn for processing.