BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

On 1/24/2018 at 6:51 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I think he's right though to an extent.  I don't think the unions would be for it because it would mean fewer runs available.  Let's face it.  The idea would be to provide service to meet demand, but the (MTA) would be looking at such a setup to CUT costs, and that's the reality of it.  If they weren't doing underhanded things already, you could make the case that it could work, but there are more and more cases of scheduled buses not showing up at all as in the driver is out sick for one reason or another is isn't replaced, and there's no one to hold the (MTA) accountable to ensure that they provide the service that they have scheduled, so that's another issue.  

Using that measure they could keep "adjusting" the schedules to meet demand and then keep cutting them, saying well our numbers show that ridership continues to be low on such and such day, so we're ensuring that our service meets demand. When I talk about adjusting service, it is ADDING service. I don't trust the (MTA) for a second to actually adjust service without trying to make some underhanded cut.

It's obvious that APCs and farebox data are not being used.  If those were tabulated correctly by run then physically checked by a human (to verify the count-swings), the schedules could be better changed to even out loads.  But the MTA seems to WANT to dwell in using the antiquated human-checker method, gives them reason to use the "we saw light loads, that's why we can't do anything".  And then still sit around an expensive conference room table scratching their heads wondering why they keep losing customers.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

I have a story to tell, on the way home with my mom on thursday night we witnessed the driver almost get assaulted twice.(i bolded almost because it was that close)It was all because people missed stops. Happened where i live in Florida. Let me set the scene for you 

Mom and i are on the bus going home after a doctors appointment ,paying a phone bill and dinner. We get on the bus driver is a nice lady. We get up to the cc  hospital(no one is at the stop so she does not stop i made same mistake before thinking they are supposed to stop at the hospital even if no one is there but i did not threaten to beat up the driver) and no one rang to stop, as we turn out on to the street young lady get up trying to push the back door then screaming hey let me off driver says it is not safe for me to do that i will let you off at the next stop, girl storms to the front screaming at the driver let me the f*** off you f***ing b***h and slammimg on the front door. Driver stops the bus calls on the radio telling them of the situation, she decides to open the doors after base tells her it is ok also her "boyfriend" intervenes asking for his charger and they get off. shortly after we get underway after leaving the c.c hospital the same situation with a male big build and ginger  who has a bike starts screaming at the driver to let him off sitting right behind my mom and I driver reminds him that its not safe she will let him off at next stop and hes really agitated so big ginger pulls the stop request so hard twice he nearly pulls it off the wall. Big ginger walks up to the front of the bus cursing at the driver i hear him call her a b**** and i hear various swear words i also hear him say "you gonna f***ing run me over b****?" she calls on the radio again, they say to eject him but he is getting off anyways. Big Ginger gets off says a few more parting swear words and the driver closes the door, he is standing outside making offensive gestures, driver is continuing talking on the radio and says she doesnt need assistance. If anything really popped off i would have intervined and my mom said she would have too. We ride to the end to transfer to our bus home 

Had to tell my story cause it got me shook never seen anything like that pop off like that in all my years of riding the bus in nyc nj and florida

I'm not understanding why the second pair of winners (ginger & big builded male) didn't just get off the bus along with the first pair of winners (young lady & boyfriend with charger), when base told the driver to open the doors to let the first pair of winners off....

I may be downplaying your story here as I'm replying, but when you've been on 2 separate buses where a gun was drawn (none of which was at the b/o, but still), an occurrence where you have passengers getting belligerent over a driver not letting them off at a location that isn't a bus stop, is nothing to me..... Luckily, no shots were fired in none of the instances.... But verbally hostile ass passengers; man, I'm numb to that shit.... I read your last sentence there & I'm like, you've never been on a NYC bus where passengers got loud & hostile/threatening? (Regardless if it was towards the driver or some other passenger).....

I used to do trip reports on these forums, but I've gotten lazy (and to be perfectly honest, disinterested, as I felt folks weren't all too interested, for as lengthy as those things were.... Lol.).... Of course, the vast majority of fantrips I didn't do reports on (or else I would've gotten carpal tunnel by now :lol:).... On a bus, I have seen everything from births (2 of them), to one death, and just about everything in between..... Off the top - fist fights, stabbings, drug deals, drug using (as in, injections), suicide attempts (no successes), robbery (attempts & successes), seizures, heart attacks, the b/o that threatened to drive the bus off the bridge, the b/o that kept swerving back & forth across the double yellow lines, the guy with the snake that got loose (don't know why the b/o even let that nutcase on in the first place), the guy that threw "magic dust" up in the air on the bus (this was around the time that anthrax scare happened, around 9/11 IIRC), the list goes on....

Maybe I'm missing something, but you also being of a NYC background, I'm not sure why this got you shook, fam.....

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

I'm not understanding why the second pair of winners (ginger & big builded male) didn't just get off the bus along with the first pair of winners (young lady & boyfriend with charger), when base told the driver to open the doors to let the first pair of winners off....

I may be downplaying your story here as I'm replying, but when you've been on 2 separate buses where a gun was drawn (none of which was at the b/o, but still), an occurrence where you have passengers getting belligerent over a driver not letting them off at a location that isn't a bus stop, is nothing to me..... Luckily, no shots were fired in none of the instances.... But verbally hostile ass passengers; man, I'm numb to that shit.... I read your last sentence there & I'm like, you've never been on a NYC bus where passengers got loud & hostile/threatening? (Regardless if it was towards the driver or some other passenger).....

I used to do trip reports on these forums, but I've gotten lazy (and to be perfectly honest, disinterested, as I felt folks weren't all too interested, for as lengthy as those things were.... Lol.).... Of course, the vast majority of fantrips I didn't do reports on (or else I would've gotten carpal tunnel by now :lol:).... On a bus, I have seen everything from births (2 of them), to one death, and just about everything in between..... Off the top - fist fights, stabbings, drug deals, drug using (as in, injections), suicide attempts (no successes), robbery (attempts & successes), seizures, heart attacks, the b/o that threatened to drive the bus off the bridge, the b/o that kept swerving back & forth across the double yellow lines, the guy with the snake that got loose (don't know why the b/o even let that nutcase on in the first place), the guy that threw "magic dust" up in the air on the bus (this was around the time that anthrax scare happened, around 9/11 IIRC), the list goes on....

Maybe I'm missing something, but you also being of a NYC background, I'm not sure why this got you shook, fam.....

Guess it depends on where he lived in NYC and how lucky he got to not get shook, but same. With the exception of stabbings, deaths and births, i've seen stuff like that as well, i'll add on by saying I've also seen vomiting sick passengers (many reluctant to leave the bus even when we passed hospitals), aggressive panhandlers, people who play loud curse music at the back and front of the bus, performers, drunk people (one was so close to putting the bus outta service), people fighting for seats, the one smoker the B/O didn't realize until passengers were complaining, the one person on the bus who kept leaning on the back door and hitting stop request, stopping the bus at high speeds for no reason, a fight that broke out over the white line at the front of the bus, etc. A hostile fight on a bus happens every other week for me 

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

9 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

@B35 via Church

The 2nd pair of winners(big build and ginger) is technacally the same person, he got off after he realized he missed the hospital and lady had her confrontation with the bus driver.

Hell the fact you seen some stuff on nyc buses more shocking than i have i guess i was safe. 

And the reason why i was shook was because the first winner said hey let me off then she stormed to the front like she was gonna hit the driver while the bus was moving

You folks have some SERIOUS PROBLEMS when someone "misses their stop" and it's such a massive panic that ensues OVER NOTHING MORE THAN TWO BLOCKS.

People that think like this totally piss me off because they COULD get off with a bunch of people at one stop, but NOOOOO, they HAVE to be let off on their own (in most cases I've encountered) a WHOPPING TWO BLOCKS UP THE STREET -- just because they think they are soooo much "better" than anyone else on the bus.

You guys in NYC always think you're so much better than everywhere else, and with this utter SHIT, you prove otherwise -- and in dealing with your own fellow riders/citizens.

Glad I live in "cornville" than the cesspool you all wade in daily, put up with, and somehow think you're "better" than everyone else.

/steps off soapbox

EDIT: Was gonna continue further, but back to the cave.  Better to see "how the other half lives" (and eats its own) every few months.

Edited by DetSMART45

17 minutes ago, DetSMART45 said:

You folks have some SERIOUS PROBLEMS when someone "misses their stop" and it's such a massive panic that ensues OVER NOTHING MORE THAN TWO BLOCKS.

People that think like this totally piss me off because they COULD get off with a bunch of people at one stop, but NOOOOO, they HAVE to be let off on their own (in most cases I've encountered) a WHOPPING TWO BLOCKS UP THE STREET -- just because they think they are soooo much "better" than anyone else on the bus.

You guys in NYC always think you're so much better than everywhere else, and with this utter SHIT, you prove otherwise -- and in dealing with your own fellow riders/citizens.

Glad I live in "cornville" than the cesspool you all wade in daily, put up with, and somehow think you're "better" than everyone else.

/steps off soapbox

Correct me if I miss something, but almost all of us in this thread (as far as im aware who lives in NYC) never said we are better than everyone else, and those that do probably don't base that opinion over a bus system. 

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

1 hour ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Correct me if I miss something, but almost all of us in this thread (as far as im aware who lives in NYC) never said we are better than everyone else, and those that do probably don't base that opinion over a bus system. 

I think it was more directed towards NYC riders as a whole not necessarily anyone here. 

14 hours ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Guess it depends on where he lived in NYC and how lucky he got to not get shook, but same. With the exception of stabbings, deaths and births, i've seen stuff like that as well, i'll add on by saying I've also seen vomiting sick passengers (many reluctant to leave the bus even when we passed hospitals), aggressive panhandlers, people who play loud curse music at the back and front of the bus, performers, drunk people (one was so close to putting the bus outta service), people fighting for seats, the one smoker the B/O didn't realize until passengers were complaining, the one person on the bus who kept leaning on the back door and hitting stop request, stopping the bus at high speeds for no reason, a fight that broke out over the white line at the front of the bus, etc. A hostile fight on a bus happens every other week for me 

Generally speaking, that's a fair point in the 1st sentence there.... Specifically however, BreedDekalb doesn't strike me as the type of person that's easily petrified, just by how he expresses himself on here.... I remember him bringing up the B38 in prior posts, and I know first-hand that there's all types of nigga shit that takes place on that route.....

6 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

@B35 via Church

The 2nd pair of winners(big build and ginger) is technacally the same person, he got off after he realized he missed the hospital and lady had her confrontation with the bus driver.

Hell the fact you seen some stuff on nyc buses more shocking than i have i guess i was safe. 

And the reason why i was shook was because the first winner said hey let me off then she stormed to the front like she was gonna hit the driver while the bus was moving

When you've been out joyriding buses for over 20 years across different municipalities during all times of the day, I would say it comes with the territory..... I would fathom that bus drivers have it far worse than I ever would though.....

40 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Generally speaking, that's a fair point in the 1st sentence there.... Specifically however, BreedDekalb doesn't strike me as the type of person that's easily petrified, just by how he expresses himself on here.... I remember him bringing up the B38 in prior posts, and I know first-hand that there's all types of nigga shit that takes place on that route.....

When you've been out joyriding buses for over 20 years across different municipalities during all times of the day, I would say it comes with the territory..... I would fathom that bus drivers have it far worse than I ever would though.....

Lmao my territory on the b38 was dekalb and wyckoff, and my traveling on the route was from there to dekalb and buschwick to ps274 and back 

11 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

To be fair, when you are surrounded by nastiness it becomes hard to notice other nastiness. On the other hand, bad things are probably easier to notice in white-picket-fence Florida.

Not really bus related, but moving away it's kind of shocking how relatively safe NYC has gotten in certain respects; I was walking down the street the other day and saw some methhead breaking into a car, which I can definitely say I haven't seen in all my years. But I'm also kind of at a weird generational cutoff, since my first school memory is 9/11.

Edited by bobtehpanda

6 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

To be fair, when you are surrounded by nastiness it becomes hard to notice other nastiness. On the other hand, bad things are probably easier to notice in white-picket-fence Florida.

Not really bus related, but moving away it's kind of shocking how relatively safe NYC has gotten in certain respects; I was walking down the street the other day and saw some methhead breaking into a car, which I can definitely say I haven't seen in all my years. But I'm also kind of at a weird generational cutoff, since my first school memory is 9/11.

I'm still trying to figure out how you moved from NYC to Seattle... One expensive city for another. :huh:

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm still trying to figure out how you moved from NYC to Seattle... One expensive city for another. :huh:

Eh. I can afford my own apartment with a nonexistent commute, in-unit laundry and package concierge, so I figure I'm doing way better than the hipsters shacking up three to a walkup studio in Greenpoint or whatever.

Edited by bobtehpanda

On 1/27/2018 at 7:44 AM, B35 via Church said:

I remember reading them too. They were actually pretty interesting tbh. 

Speaking of not reporting things, I finally got to ride the XN60 last weekend. Found myself on 125th and saw it coming so I figured why the hell not. I can't put my finger on it, but something about it was different from the rest of the newer Xcelsiors. 

1 hour ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Was bus 2926 ever refurbished? It looks different and newer than the other 2002 MCIs, it has blue floors, different seat design, and LED destination signs

Buses #2925-2930 are Ex-New York Bus Service units and were originally numbered #7423-7428. 

Source: http://ttmg.org/transitwiki/Insider's_Guide:_Metropolitan_Transportation_Authority_Bus_Operations_-_Fleet_Summary

I believe they were delivered prior to (MTA) Bus taking over.  For whatever reason those buses never saw heavy usage, which is why they look never.  The seats at some point were supposedly refurbished as in changed out as they were the colors of New York Bus Service (red and blue), though I would imagine other things were done too, but those 5 buses have LED destination signs that are orange instead of green.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

21 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

I swear, most of these Q24 operators drive so damn slow. Even if there is little traffic or if they’re running late.

Welcome to the slow drivers bus club. :D I bet they stop at yellow lights and wait at green lights until they change to red too like the buses along Madison Avenue do. lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8