MTA Bus Operations: Deliveries, Moves & Transfers

T J Trainman
Message added by Cait Sith

This TOPIC is strictly for bus deliveries, moves & transfers.

Any discussion related to these moves should be done in the MTA Bus Operations: Fleets and Depots and Bus - Random Thoughts threads.

RTS buses may have been meant to last two decades but drive one of those buses for more than 4 hrs and the after effects will linger a few days. Most of them u have to put so much pressure on the brake to release the interlock/change gears and that itself will bring some sore knees later on that day or night. Not to mention the kneeling where if u kneel the bus it doesn't come back up unless u cycle the power.  Some of you love the RTS and is a good bus but that was 15yrs ago.

• Replies 36k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DOB is pissed about those 2 RTS incidents, wants the buses back immediately, and does not want to send hybrids up there at all.

TA is ready to take back those Nova's and ship some old ones up there. The $#!^ is about to hit the fan because there are some who didn't want those buses to go up there. They have been pounding the streets 17 years now and all of a sudden 2 of them catch fire.

I am also being told TA is taking over the maintenance for those buses after those incidents. I was not able to confirm that part for sure, but I was definitely told weeks ago they wanted those buses back in Brooklyn.

Those buses are old and they are crying because two buses burned up. It could have happen at ENY too.

I feel that some hybrids will make its way up to ECH unless the Q50 and Bx23 go to College Point.

Those buses are old and they are crying because two buses burned up. It could have happen at ENY too.

I feel that some hybrids will make its way up to ECH unless the Q50 and Bx23 go to College Point.

That's not the point. And ENY has never burned down a bus, so chances of that are kinda....low.

The buses are here for another 2-4 years. The bodies are holding up very well compared to our Orion Vs and want them around for as long as possible. Most depots would rather have the RTS over any of the new buses.

That's not the point. And ENY has never burned down a bus, so chances of that are kinda....low.

The buses are here for another 2-4 years. The bodies are holding up very well compared to our Orion Vs and want them around for as long as possible. Most depots would rather have the RTS over any of the new buses.

ECH did not do it on purpose. What other buses can ECH get besides the Orion VII's or having the routes shifted elsewhere.

ECH did not do it on purpose. What other buses can ECH get besides the Orion VII's or having the routes shifted elsewhere.

We know they didn't.

The point is that it happened while they had those buses.

They could also get older RTSs(9300s-9600s)

Edited by Cait Sith

I could see one of two things happening with ECH if buses are to be moved out of there.

1. ECH will be approximately half 9000's and half 5100's to keep fleet uniformity (or just put the 9000's on the entire fleet if the TA wants to be that bitchy) or...

2. After the XD60s go to LGA, the Q50 would go home to CP and be able to return some 5100's to NYCT, leaving about 10-15 RTS at ECH.

Well I can kind of see why ECH is being attacked. RTS are meant to last around two decades, but all of a sudden when ECH gets their hands on them two are forced to go away early when they still had life. Sad thing is those 5100s didn't reach a full year at ECH. Hopefully the TA looks past this because honestly two buses lost is not that bad, even for a fleet of 25 buses. If more got lost that's a different story.

You're kinda reaching here...

DOB is pissed about those 2 RTS incidents, wants the buses back immediately, and does not want to send hybrids up there at all. 

TA is ready to take back those Nova's and ship some old ones up there. The $#!^ is about to hit the fan because there are some who didn't want those buses to go up there. They have been pounding the streets 17 years now and all of a sudden 2 of them catch fire.

I am also being told TA is taking over the maintenance for those buses after those incidents. I was not able to confirm that part for sure, but I was definitely told weeks ago they wanted those buses back in Brooklyn.

First things first.. The (MTA) made a mistake by send 5175-5199 outside of Flatbush to ECH. I'm not here to bash ECH maintenance at all. From what I've read is that they (ECH) have the best maintenance in (MTA) bus. However, when those RTS left FB to The Bronx they were supposed to be in good hands until stated otherwise (Return back to sender which is FB). Now that the (MTA) wants their RTS back and there is a big fuss about it. At the end of the day the Department of Buses runs the buses. Even with the mishap at ECH theyknew that those buses were going to be there temporarily there and not staying for the interim.

The 5000's are going out right behind the older ones (which got the rehab and are supposedly in better condition, and sometimes it looks like they will outlast them), so why does TA care so much about them, like they're brand new?

I could point out countless buses in the Brooklyn division that has/or had 51xx buses and kept them in pristine condition.

Once a upon of time East New York had those 51xx buses. They didn't damage at all. 

I don't know about hybrids to ECH. Highly doubt that will happen. If anything the '98 RTS would go before the hybrids. 

The 5000's are going out right behind the older ones (which got the rehab and are supposedly in better condition, and sometimes it looks like they will outlast them), so why does TA care so much about them, like they're brand new?

I'll give you one good reason:

- Those 5000/5100's are great when it comes to mileage and maintenance. Hardly any breakdowns with those buses.

History shows that if you maintain a good RTS, the running life for those buses can last at least 20 years as shown with some 1996 RTS. The 97/98 RTS are approaching 18 and 19 years respectively and they are still running around these NYC streets.

They are trying to blame Eastchester maintenance for a freak accident?

No, but you do have a few within the TA that said I told you so, and it makes a great case seeing as TA kept those buses in excellent condition, and now all of a sudden they have to be retired.

First things first.. The (MTA) made a mistake by send 5175-5199 outside of Flatbush to ECH. I'm not here to bash ECH maintenance at all. From what I've read is that they (ECH) have the best maintenance in (MTA) bus. However, when those RTS left FB to The Bronx they were supposed to be in good hands until stated otherwise (Return back to sender which is FB). Now that the (MTA) wants their RTS back and there is a big fuss about it. At the end of the day the Department of Buses runs the buses. Even with the mishap at ECH theyknew that those buses were going to be there temporarily there and not staying for the interim.

Facts!!

RTS buses may have been meant to last two decades but drive one of those buses for more than 4 hrs and the after effects will linger a few days. Most of them u have to put so much pressure on the brake to release the interlock/change gears and that itself will bring some sore knees later on that day or night. Not to mention the kneeling where if u kneel the bus it doesn't come back up unless u cycle the power.  Some of you love the RTS and is a good bus but that was 15yrs ago.

This may very well be true, but it doesn't go for everyone. I know someone personally who has driven more RTS buses over the years than any one single person. Me is the maintenance director for Millennium RTS customers, and has been with the company since GMC. at 5'7" and 140 just like myself, he hasn't been affected. I have also personally driven countless RTS buses over an 18 year period, and I do admit my knees are not the greatest anymore, but that bus is heavy. When the brakes are brand new, and on the other end of the extreme when the brakes need to be replaced A fact is that the RTS has greater negative affects on people who are over 300 lbs and taller than 5'10".

Now aside from all that, you still have 15-20 year vets as well as newbies that WILL NOT pull out any other bus than an RTS unless they have to. My brother was at ENY for 13 years and would have a fit if they tried to give him anything else. The bus is only a major headache for the "big & tall" and I know a couple of them who still won't pull out anything but an RTS. Overall, the RTS is the most preferred, and most reliable bus ever built. Thats documented fact, and not an opinion. 

Yes they are crying because they never really wanted them there anyway. the ONLY reason EC got the buses in the first place is because MTA wants all non-hybrid Orion buses gone ASAP. They are not as reliable as MTA hoped they would be and the 6000's are literally disintegrating. Besides, they may in fact be old but we have buses younger that MTA is trying to get rid of ASAP. They are trying to hold on to the RTS till almost 2020.

Facts!

Actually they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Thats the whole reason why they were/are being overhauled and are current getting new Hanover amber LED Destination signs as the Twin Visions crap out. (the exact same model as the side signs on the Xcelsior actually)

5105-5249 are scheduled to be retired along side the oldest hybrids after the 2019 orders for 275 buses plus options. Effectively leaving a good batch around until 2019/2020, whereas the 8000/9000 series buses are being retired as we speak. MTA has stated that they wouldn't even be retiring those buses this soon if they had more reliable wheelchair lifts.

So to answer the question as to why they care about them so much, the real story is MTA originally ONLY wanted to replace the RTS with low floor RTS buses, but we all know what happened with that, and if you don't then check the MTS thread in the Bus Manufacturing forum.

Because they are forced to now retire them with no direct replacement, they want to hold on to them as long as possible. Thats now 2 more buses MTA has to worry about.

Many people don't know this, and you actually have access to the info Eric. One main reason the Orion V's are on emergency retirement is because of all the incidents, rusting, and rotting. Grand Av. CFM put one of the things on the lifts for scheduled preventive maintenance, and once gravity took hold of the bus it literally fell apart. Mind you the bus just pounded the pavement all day and night. Ran excellent, but that frame can't do 20 years in NYC.

ow we have to go into Immediate Emergency Management mode. That causes an instant bus shortage almost overnight as all operating units  in the 6000-6349 series have to undergo immediate emergency inspection, and buses will have to be retired immediately for safety reasons.

Emergency Plans

1. This forced MTA to then change plans and decide that not only were 5105-5249 going to stay for the time being, but a few more 4900/5000 and 9600 buses would need to stick around as the V are forced to go.

2. 72 Emergency options for XD40's was issued for immediate delivery.

3. MTA bus articulated award would be modified 3 times and will now include up to 180 buses to retire 40 footers at a higher rate, and shift hybrids to other depots. Buses are going to ramp up for accelerated delivery this week. The original award was for 75.

4. MTA also needs to retire all Orion CNG's immediately as well. They are not reliable or efficient. This automatically makes that fleet, which is sadly younger than the RTS, yet another issue MTA did not plan on having at this moment. This once again forced MTA to not only have to increase the number of Reserve Storage Buses, but send the RTS back to West Farms for the millionth time on top of the ones they were forced to send already send to Eastchester. 

The part that I find most hilarious is that while others are fighting for the RTS buses, Quill is sitting back sipping tea because they are ALWAYS going the have the best of the best all the way through retirement. Can't wait until I can get into that discussion! Another thread at another time.  :rolleyes:

Now back on topic, for the Roster update, keep your eye out for new buses ! They are going to come in fast this week!

@RICK44 - Just for your official record, the title is no longer Regional Bus Operations, but now MTA Bus Operations.

Edited by East New York

I believe 8944 and 9208 are the only 1996s left at Jamaica. 9208 is sitting in the depot, but 8944 ran for the PM rush today.

Don't tell me 8942 is scrapped! (Lol, I love that RTS, though I'm an Orion V guy.)

@RICK44 - Just for your official record, the title is no longer Regional Bus Operations, but now MTA Bus Operations.

Okay, I'll see to it that it gets changed, but could that potentially mean the public title for NYCB changes to MTAB or is this only internal?

Has 2656 been delivered yet?

Yes

@Rick44...you can close that gap in the Prevost department at the Castleton roster. They have #2642-2672.

Also, I made a mistake...#8339 and #8381 are NOT at Gun Hill and Kingsbridge...at least not yet. My apologizes to you Rick44.

Edited by The TransitMan

@Rick44...you can close that gap in the Prevost department at the Castleton roster. They have #2642-2672.

2672 is actually at Yukon with its depot logos attached.

Castleton has 40 Prevosts while Yukon has 118 (18 2400 series + 100 2500-2600 series) 

Actually they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Thats the whole reason why they were/are being overhauled and are current getting new Hanover amber LED Destination signs as the Twin Visions crap out. (the exact same model as the side signs on the Xcelsior actually)

5105-5249 are scheduled to be retired along side the oldest hybrids after the 2019 orders for 275 buses plus options. Effectively leaving a good batch around until 2019/2020, whereas the 8000/9000 series buses are being retired as we speak. MTA has stated that they wouldn't even be retiring those buses this soon if they had more reliable wheelchair lifts.

So to answer the question as to why they care about them so much, the real story is MTA originally ONLY wanted to replace the RTS with low floor RTS buses, but we all know what happened with that, and if you don't then check the MTS thread in the Bus Manufacturing forum.

Because they are forced to now retire them with no direct replacement, they want to hold on to them as long as possible. Thats now 2 more buses MTA has to worry about.

Many people don't know this, and you actually have access to the info Eric. One main reason the Orion V's are on emergency retirement is because of all the incidents, rusting, and rotting. Grand Av.

OK, I'm in RTO, and don't know anything about buses, internally. I get all my info from here.

But this finally gives me their reasoning. I knew about the low floor RTS (which I'm sure, refers to the Millennium, which went under of course), but never caught the thing about those being the specific replacements for the '99 RTS.

Though, they've been holding on to the 97's (meaning not handing them down to MTAB) just as tenaciously, and those are going out as fast as the 96's. So I figured it was the same thing. 

I don't quite understand what a depot's maintenance does that has different effects like this. And it's still the old division between MTA and the former PBL's. Haven't they been retrained in MTA standards?

I don't buy this whole ECH maintenance conspiracy, hell buses burn up, it was a freak accident ... we have NYCT depots burning up brand new LFSAs ... OGs have burned up under NYCT and MTAB....

ECH keeps those MCIs running in pristine condition, better than any SI depot keeps there's. ECH never had any problems with any of the older equipment its been handed down, look how long they kept those Bee's running, some of them needed heavy nursing from their days at LGA or BP.  

Frankly I want the 99's to go back to NYCT ... I'm tired of ECH (although I understand why) getting old tired ass Hand-me Downs ... Give them 25-30 XDs they can call their own. I would be satisfied with sending 25 OGs or NGs to ECH. 

I don't buy this whole ECH maintenance conspiracy, hell buses burn up, it was a freak accident ... we have NYCT depots burning up brand new LFSAs ... OGs have burned up under NYCT and MTAB....

ECH keeps those MCIs running in pristine condition, better than any SI depot keeps there's. ECH never had any problems with any of the older equipment its been handed down, look how long they kept those Bee's running, some of them needed heavy nursing from their days at LGA or BP.  

Frankly I want the 99's to go back to NYCT ... I'm tired of ECH (although I understand why) getting old tired ass Hand-me Downs ... Give them 25-30 XDs they can call their own. I would be satisfied with sending 25 OGs or NGs to ECH. 

THIS.

Also I now understand why I can't stand RTS's... I'm pretty tall at 6' 2'' :P

THIS.

Also I now understand why I can't stand RTS's... I'm pretty tall at 6' 2'' :P

I'm 6'4" and the RTS buses aren't an issue unless you're standing and need to let someone pass you.  The low floor buses are the real kicker, particularly the 40 footers from 2003 - 2006.  Standing in the back, any bump and you can easily bang your head against the ceiling. lol

I'm 6'4" and the RTS buses aren't an issue unless you're standing and need to let someone pass you.  The low floor buses are the real kicker, particularly the 40 footers from 2003 - 2006.  Standing in the back, any bump and you can easily bang your head against the ceiling. lol

That was a joke really. I don't like the RTS's for other reasons *cough* too many bumpy rides on the B1 and B64 *COUGH*

I find it interesting that even though some operators are big and tall and have back issues due to the seat and those brakes, they still want only an RTS. I'd be pleading with the dispatcher for an Xcelsior by this point...

And don't get me started with those 2003 Orion VII CNGs...the worst!