SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

@Vulturious You wouldn't expect anything less? Because I certainly thought their endless pissing and moaning about 75-footers was unnecessary...

There were people on these boards and SubChat (way back when) acting like the R46s running on the (E) were harbingers of the apocalypse or something. 'OMG only 32 doors per side! It's the end of the world, the sky is falling!' and so on and so forth.

It was ridiculous.

in all fairness the R46's were causing Dwell times and the (E) was getting more crowded when Jamaica Center opened so they made the (E) 100% R32's with an occasional R46 and the (G)(R) 90% R46's with the other 10% being R32's while the (F) was 100% R46's until 2001.

when ridership was normal before the Pandemic hit, The (A) had terrible dwell times due to the amount of doors and high ridership. the R179's and R32's handled crowds much better than the R46's.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did the (MTA) put a 46 on the (E) a Christmas or 2 ago?

What happened was there was a weekend G.O. on the (E) line sending all trains to 179th. There was a large gap in (E) service that evening so they turned the next (F) at 179th into an (E). It just so happened that the next train was an R46.

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

A few weeks ago I posted about an defective R46 car I rode in where the lights didn't work nor did the A/C work. Here's some pics, they was taken from an phone so bare with me.. it was actually a pretty cool experience.. 

Xu5U1d1.jpg

79fUhjF.jpg

This Is what happens when you run 45 year old cars on 4 24 hour routes, Putting these on the (Q) is dumb I could understand like 2-4 sets but 80% of the (Q) is R46's. These are better off on the (B) . I can understand the (N)(W) because of the terminal swaps.

14 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Well that's QBL for you, I wouldn't expect anything less when it comes to that, no one like older trains on QBL.

Railfans like me do, and I really miss 2008-2010, when you had R32s, R40Ms and R42s running on the line with R46s.

11 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

What happened was there was a weekend G.O. on the (E) line sending all trains to 179th. There was a large gap in (E) service that evening so they turned the next (F) at 179th into an (E). It just so happened that the next train was an R46.

I wish I could have ridden that. I have never been on an R46 (E), which is something I always wanted to ride on.

17 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

in all fairness the R46's were causing Dwell times and the (E) was getting more crowded when Jamaica Center opened so they made the (E) 100% R32's with an occasional R46 and the (G)(R) 90% R46's with the other 10% being R32's while the (F) was 100% R46's until 2001.

when ridership was normal before the Pandemic hit, The (A) had terrible dwell times due to the amount of doors and high ridership. the R179's and R32's handled crowds much better than the R46's.

Its the same issue on the (N) and (W) now, coupled to the fact that trains leave Astoria late so half of the train will be an (N) and the other half will be a (W) and no one knows what train is which.

Then there was that R46 (R) train at Beach 25th St...

Edited by Lawrence St

50 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Then there was that R46 (R) train at Beach 25th St...

The funny part about that train (I was on it) is that the signs were perfectly fine and said (A) at Howard Beach and as soon as it crossed the first bridge on the flats, they changed to the (R) and the back rollsign said it as well.

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

The funny part about that train (I was on it) is that the signs were perfectly fine and said (A) at Howard Beach and as soon as it crossed the first bridge on the flats, they changed to the (R) and the back rollsign said it as well.

Maybe it thinks running the (R) via the Rockaway Beach Branch is a good idea too, 😆.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

9 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

The (MTA) straight up loves running the (R)'s reliability into the ground, don't they... 😏

That's because they don't know what they're doing half the time. The (MTA) time and time again has shown their incompetence. We have people outside the (MTA) to thank as well, that being DeBlasio at times, Cuomo no doubt about it (he got lucky with the (L) shutdown when he changed it last second) especially with the LGA Airtrain proposal which just has to be the most retarded idea I've heard, I won't get into details as I know my points are probably the same as everyone else against it. We've seen the MTA make dumb decisions, let me point out the most recent with the R179, 1 week after being forced out of service, they were brought back. Not even half a year later, they had problems again, but this time it was hardware. There have been reports of R179 having issues such as HVAC and doors problems, but the fact the MTA didn't decide to go and check everything else as well shows their incompetence. I'm going to add that it barely reached the 5 month mark with no issues. We also got to point out the R32's and R42's being pulled out of service for retirement as well. Sometimes the (MTA) screws itself because it listens to the people, which isn't a bad thing, but that shouldn't always be the case. Take the (A) train for example, it has 3 different terminals in Queens when all the (MTA) can do is simply push the (C) to Lefferts, then again I don't know how doable that is so quote me if I'm wrong. I can point out the (N) and (W) not being extended to LGA. I get that people didn't want trains over them, but there are efficient ways to make elevated tracks as quiet as possible and stable, too. But no we have the whole LGA Airtrain in Flushing instead which is way too far deep into Queens and a whole entire Subway Ride. People are trying to get into Manhattan faster and with Astoria being so close to Manhattan, too. Again, the (MTA) is very incompetent with how they handle the system.

Both n/b and the local s/b trains can wrap it up coming into/out of Nevins but s/b trains entering on the exp track are forced to obey timers.. Was caught off guard by a s/b local coming in slow but as soon as the first set of wheels cleared the curve he wrapped it up to around 20 mph. 

Makes me think what's their train of thought whenever they decide to do that.. "f-ck it, no timers so it can't be that bad and I've never heard of a derailment here."

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

But no we have the whole LGA Airtrain in Flushing instead which is way too far deep into Queens and a whole entire Subway Ride. People are trying to get into Manhattan faster and with Astoria being so close to Manhattan, too. Again, the (MTA) is very incompetent with how they handle the system.

To be fair, Airtrain LGA is mostly a Cuomo project. He wanted an airtrain, no matter what, and the route to Mets-Willets is the easiest way to get there.

The project is also not controlled by the (MTA) , but instead by the Port Authority

7 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

To be fair, Airtrain LGA is mostly a Cuomo project. He wanted an airtrain, no matter what, and the route to Mets-Willets is the easiest way to get there.

The project is also not controlled by the (MTA) , but instead by the Port Authority

So maybe we should write to our elected officials and ask that we want an Astoria Line extension instead of a non-effiecent AirTrain. 

8 hours ago, Vulturious said:

That's because they don't know what they're doing half the time. The (MTA) time and time again has shown their incompetence. We have people outside the (MTA) to thank as well, that being DeBlasio at times, Cuomo no doubt about it (he got lucky with the (L) shutdown when he changed it last second) especially with the LGA Airtrain proposal which just has to be the most retarded idea I've heard, I won't get into details as I know my points are probably the same as everyone else against it. We've seen the MTA make dumb decisions, let me point out the most recent with the R179, 1 week after being forced out of service, they were brought back. Not even half a year later, they had problems again, but this time it was hardware. There have been reports of R179 having issues such as HVAC and doors problems, but the fact the MTA didn't decide to go and check everything else as well shows their incompetence. I'm going to add that it barely reached the 5 month mark with no issues. We also got to point out the R32's and R42's being pulled out of service for retirement as well. Sometimes the (MTA) screws itself because it listens to the people, which isn't a bad thing, but that shouldn't always be the case. Take the (A) train for example, it has 3 different terminals in Queens when all the (MTA) can do is simply push the (C) to Lefferts, then again I don't know how doable that is so quote me if I'm wrong. I can point out the (N) and (W) not being extended to LGA. I get that people didn't want trains over them, but there are efficient ways to make elevated tracks as quiet as possible and stable, too. But no we have the whole LGA Airtrain in Flushing instead which is way too far deep into Queens and a whole entire Subway Ride. People are trying to get into Manhattan faster and with Astoria being so close to Manhattan, too. Again, the (MTA) is very incompetent with how they handle the system.

The (C) can go to Lefferts, but at the same time, it'll increase interlining with the (A), which would further delay both of the lines. To see the (C) go to Lefferts, you'll most likely have to wait and see if they even consider extending the (T) to Brooklyn, going through the Transit Museum (which would be a dooooozy in its own right).

I believe extending the (N) and (W) into LGA is cheaper, and you'd only have two extra stops before LGA Airport (Hazen and Steinway Streets, I could be wrong about it being cheaper though). However though, its the Port Authority and Cuomo we talking about here.

Maybe I missed it but is there any graph/column/ or site with a comparison of ridership stats for 2019 and 2020 ? I'm talking about US metro services especially but I'd also like to see the Asian and European stats pre-and post CV-19. I'm trying to figure out what happened in the countries that did the total lockdown as compared with the inept response in the US as a whole. I've seen anecdotal reports from different news sources but I want to get a more detailed picture. Thanks for any info . I'm too lazy to take the time to ferret out the answers myself.  Carry on. 

16 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

But that is the problem, Cuomo doesn't give a single sh*t. He is screwing both the (MTA) and the people by doing this because construction for this is coming out of people's money which should be going to the (MTA) instead because they can use the (N) and (W). The LGA Airtrain is way too far out and I highly, highly doubt that anyone is going to take it to LGA if they are coming from anywhere else in NYC. No one is willing to go and take a ride on the (7) all the way towards Flushing which is practically riding the whole line as is which would make the (7) even more crowded than ever. 

16 hours ago, NBTA said:

The (C) can go to Lefferts, but at the same time, it'll increase interlining with the (A), which would further delay both of the lines. To see the (C) go to Lefferts, you'll most likely have to wait and see if they even consider extending the (T) to Brooklyn, going through the Transit Museum (which would be a dooooozy in its own right).

I believe extending the (N) and (W) into LGA is cheaper, and you'd only have two extra stops before LGA Airport (Hazen and Steinway Streets, I could be wrong about it being cheaper though). However though, its the Port Authority and Cuomo we talking about here.

Extending the (C) to Lefferts Blvd will pretty much increase service to both Lefferts AND Far Rockaway. I don't believe the delay would be significant as (A) and (C) already interline between Jay St and Canal St

Extending the (N) and (W) would be more expensive compared to the Airtrain Cuomo is proposing. the airtrain would not require any land acquisition, while (N) and (W) would. I believe some of the extension would also require tunneling.

That being said, (N) and (W) would be MUCH more useful than the overpriced airtrain Cuomo is proposing

7 hours ago, Vulturious said:

But that is the problem, Cuomo doesn't give a single sh*t. He is screwing both the (MTA) and the people by doing this because construction for this is coming out of people's money which should be going to the (MTA) instead because they can use the (N) and (W). The LGA Airtrain is way too far out and I highly, highly doubt that anyone is going to take it to LGA if they are coming from anywhere else in NYC. No one is willing to go and take a ride on the (7) all the way towards Flushing which is practically riding the whole line as is which would make the (7) even more crowded than ever. 

No doubt the Airtrain would be a downgrade in both service and fares.

However, tourist probably wouldn't know better and pay $7.75 plus an additional 2.75 for the subway to go further away from Manhattan

Edited by Mtatransit

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

How is the (R) compared to when it was all R46s before the end of 2019 vs now that's R160?

It’s more or less the same from my experience in terms of reliability. I do like the R160s on the (R) though. It is a nice change from dim lit cars, orange, yellow and coral colored seats, all the rattling, the broken signs and the big front route bullet. 
It is cool to see the trains on the (C)(G)(N)(Q)(W) lines now in addition to the (A) and Rockaway Park (S) . 

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

What happens to Station Agents when the subway is closed at 1 am? Do they still man their booths overnight?

Don't know about every station, but what I can say is that at East 18th Church av (B)(Q), that lady was still in the booth the last time I took the B35 to 5th av last week... That was around 3-ish (am)... 

Edited by B35 via Church
East 18th is what we in Flatbush/E. Flatbush call that station... my fault

18 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Don't know about every station, but what I can say is that at East 18th Church av (B)(Q), that lady was still in the booth the last time I took the B35 to 5th av last week... That was around 3-ish (am)... 

It makes sense since people still need to go and reload on their MetroCards if the machines aren't working. Then again, buses are free, what about the cops? Are they at every station or just the major ones?