SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, AdonisDimaggio said:

Does anyone know what that colored piece is under the car number? For example on the R62 under the number plate it has a red piece under it and I see it on other cars. Is there like a way of understanding what they mean?

On the R62/A's, it was to show what yard that car belonged to, Red = 240th yard, Purple = Corona Yard, etc. 

So bare with me, I have compiled a list of useful features that would be helpful in our current NTT's.

R142/R142A:

1. In the event of a G.O or service change that requires a train to terminate at a station that a program does not exist for, I.e  to Kingsbridge, I prospose something like this:

A pre recorded announcement, "This is a (this uses what ever station announcement is the last stop that's programmed in) bound ___ train." There would be a one second gap between "This is a" and "whatever station announcement." So basically, it would now be for example, "This is a" "Kingsbridge Road" "bound" "(4)" "train." This process should trigger when the actual terminal is knocked off, in this case Woodlawn. Or if this is to much to do, remove the first announcement all together and start with "The Next Stop Is".

6 hours ago, AdonisDimaggio said:

Does anyone know what that colored piece is under the car number? For example on the R62 under the number plate it has a red piece under it and I see it on other cars. Is there like a way of understanding what they mean?

They used to signify what yard the car belonged to, but today they're irrelevant.

Green: Uniport/180 st for the (5)

Yellow: Westchester for the (6)

Red: 240 St for the (1)

Blue: Livonia for the (3)

Orange: Jerome for the (4)

Purple: Corona for the (7)

Black: 239 St for the (2)

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

So bare with me, I have compiled a list of useful features that would be helpful in our current NTT's.

R142/R142A:

1. In the event of a G.O or service change that requires a train to terminate at a station that a program does not exist for, I.e  to Kingsbridge, I prospose something like this:

A pre recorded announcement, "This is a (this uses what ever station announcement is the last stop that's programmed in) bound ___ train." There would be a one second gap between "This is a" and "whatever station announcement." So basically, it would now be for example, "This is a" "Kingsbridge Road" "bound" "(4)" "train." This process should trigger when the actual terminal is knocked off, in this case Woodlawn. Or if this is to much to do, remove the first announcement all together and start with "The Next Stop Is".

Well they technically already do that with Burnside Av (4) s, but I get what you're saying.

15 minutes ago, Fresh Pond said:

They used to signify what yard the car belonged to, but today they're irrelevant.

Green: Uniport/180 st for the (5)

Yellow: Westchester for the (6)

Red: 240 St for the (1)

Blue: Livonia for the (3)

Orange: Jerome for the (4)

Purple: Corona for the (7)

Black: 239 St for the (2)

That was the last iteration for the (2) and the (5)  just before the R142 made it's appearance. It was due to a fleet swap that (2) and (5) ended up with those colors. When the Redbird overhaul took place the (2) carried the green stripe and the (5) carried the black. Funny thing is I can't remember what color strip the " Green Machine" carried after the overhauls. Even passengers who never paid any attention to the fleets on the WPR line commented on that consist. Personally I hated operating that consist because it was the slowest consist on the (2) or the (5) . Your post brought back one particular memory. The last fleet swap began over a weekend so when my C/R and I arrived at Livonia Yard Monday afternoon and found a consist with that green stripe in our usual spot we went to the yard dispatcher to inquire about the change. She assured us that, for us ,it was a one day affair. We hated the (2) fleet, lol. After that day we always operated that single R62A consist that belonged to the (6) line and was used for the midnight Dyre shuttles. It didn't matter who the yard dispatcher was at Livonia the(3) line super made sure it was ours. To this day when I'm asked about the equipment I've operated I always go back to the 8806-9075 cars on the ((5) line, pre or post overhaul, and the original R62A cars on the (3) line. Even when the equipment was slowed down because of safety issues those cars remained my favorites. I remember when my RTO rabbi and some CED supervisors told some of us about the pending arrival of the NTT equipment they told us to "get ready for some cosmetic BS". To me after seeing and riding the R110s I had to agree with them. To me everything that followed was meh.  Just my musings though. Carry on.

12 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

R142/R142A:

They could do that, but they'd have to completely redesign the announcement system program to be more dynamic than it currently is. Right now the current setup for the destination announcements is to play the recording "This is a Woodlawn-bound (4) train.", followed by "The next stop is..." and finally "176 Street." Each destination announcement is a recording of the full first sentence. For the idea you're proposing, that first sentence would have to be split up into three separate recordings to be converted into separate files.

I'm not opposed to this actually since I feel the current hodgepodge of announcements need to be updated, especially on the numbered lines as none of the original voices are available for updates any more, leading to the mess of various voices in a single announcement string. My idea would be as follows:

[Next borough]-bound if necessary

[X (express/local) train to]

[Destination]

Next stop:

[Station]

Using your example above, the announcement would go like: "(4) local to. Kingsbridge Rd. Next stop: 176 Street." It's actually similar to the announcement pilot program from 2015, though it would in theory be a bit more flexible than that pilot.

6 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Has the MTA considered plug doors for subway cars? A lot of Asian systems use them as the mechanized equivalent of the subway stuffers in Tokyo

Platform-side doors, as they are called, were evaluated and rejected by the MTA due to the required platform space causing additional crowding or something like that.

Not a fun commute home tonight:

Coming from my friend’s house, I rode the (R) to 36 St. I saw that the next (N) was to arrive in 3 minutes, so I got off that (R) and waited. Instead, a work train pulled up on the express track, while my (N) arrived on the local track and made all stops to Atlantic Av. 

At that moment, I was slightly annoyed, but, I didn’t let it get to me. I took the (2) to Nevins since I didn’t feel like walking back to the (R). After making a quick stop,I walked to Hoyt-Schermorn for the (A)(C). A (C) came, but it was too crowded for my liking, so I passed it up. For whatever reason, there were large gaps in service while (C) trains seemed to end service early.

I became impatient after a while and said screw it, walked back over to Nevins, caught the (3) going back to the Barclays Center for the LIRR only to find that service between Jamaica and Atlantic terminal is suspended for the entire weekend and the next. Got on a (3) going back to Nevins, got out and just took the B38 to the (J)

Time started my journey home: 8:50

Time I actually got home: 11:40.

Sorry to hear that you got stuck and your commute was so long. Just so you know, the scheduled time savings by taking an express train from 36th St to Atlantic-Pacific is about 3.5 minutes. The (R) train can be your friend too. :D Thanks for a heads-up about the Atlantic-Jamaica LIRR suspension.

45 minutes ago, Spypenguin said:

Sorry to hear that you got stuck and your commute was so long. Just so you know, the scheduled time savings by taking an express train from 36th St to Atlantic-Pacific is about 3.5 minutes. The (R) train can be your friend too. :D Thanks for a heads-up about the Atlantic-Jamaica LIRR suspension.

I’ve dealt with worse, but at least the last “leg” of my trip was smooth. It was smart to check the notice for the LIRR because I had planned to use it this morning to get to work. I would have been waiting for a train that wasn’t going to show up.

Edited by S78 via Hylan
Proper grammar

10 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Not a fun commute home tonight:

Coming from my friend’s house, I rode the (R) to 36 St. I saw that the next (N) was to arrive in 3 minutes, so I got off that (R) and waited. Instead, a work train pulled up on the express track, while my (N) arrived on the local track and made all stops to Atlantic Av. 

At that moment, I was slightly annoyed, but, I didn’t let it get to me. I took the (2) to Nevins since I didn’t feel like walking back to the (R). After making a quick stop,I walked to Hoyt-Schermorn for the (A)(C). A (C) came, but it was too crowded for my liking, so I passed it up. For whatever reason, there were large gaps in service while (C) trains seemed to end service early.

I became impatient after a while and said screw it, walked back over to Nevins, caught the (3) going back to the Barclays Center for the LIRR only to find that service between Jamaica and Atlantic terminal is suspended for the entire weekend and the next. Got on a (3) going back to Nevins, got out and just took the B38 to the (J)

Time started my journey home: 8:50

Time I actually got home: 11:40.

For anything in Downtown Brooklyn, I always just stay on the (R) . I never bother transferring to the express and then transferring to the IRT. Too much of a hassle (heck, even if the countdown clock said 3 minutes for the next express, I'd probably just stick it out on the local if my destination was Atlantic-Barclays.

20 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

For anything in Downtown Brooklyn, I always just stay on the (R) . I never bother transferring to the express and then transferring to the IRT. Too much of a hassle (heck, even if the countdown clock said 3 minutes for the next express, I'd probably just stick it out on the local if my destination was Atlantic-Barclays.

I usually stay on the (R) and get passed by a (D) or (N), but I decided to chance it and it didn’t work in my favor. 

Edited by S78 via Hylan

45 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

Well, I saw a new emotcion (T) (sasV) 

Or not, thought I  saw a blue (V) in one of the other threads

The emoticon set on NYCTF is pretty conservative. I wouldn’t expect such an emoticon to pop up around here except as an external image.