SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

I'd swap the Northern terminals for the (R) and the (W) , use that City hall Lower Level. Perhaps store the trains on the Sea Beach Express.

The (R) would lose its yard, and having trains on different lines at different times of week wouldn't be too great. If I were to restructure QBL, I would do it this way.

(E)  operates as normal.

(F)  via 53rd rather than 63rd weekdays only (except late nights), this is to take pressure off the (E) .

(R) operates as normal.

(M) operates via 63rd now. Weekends  and late nights the (F) will take over for 63rd.

While some riders find this confusing, they did something like this back before the connector opened, where the (B) would go to Queensbridge on weekends and the (Q) on weekdays. If people are too confused still, they can just take the tram or walk to 36th if they can't get that the (F) replaces the (M) outside of weekdays.

15 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

The (R) would lose its yard, and having trains on different lines at different times of week wouldn't be too great. If I were to restructure QBL, I would do it this way.

(E)  operates as normal.

(F)  via 53rd rather than 63rd weekdays only (except late nights), this is to take pressure off the (E) .

(R) operates as normal.

(M) operates via 63rd now. Weekends  and late nights the (F) will take over for 63rd.

While some riders find this confusing, they did something like this back before the connector opened, where the (B) would go to Queensbridge on weekends and the (Q) on weekdays. If people are too confused still, they can just take the tram or walk to 36th if they can't get that the (F) replaces the (M) outside of weekdays.

By doing that, you’re bringing back Queens boulevard of yore — an overcrowded, expressophilic mess. The (F) going to 63rd takes half of exp service to a less busy corridor, forcing riders to at least consider the local. Putting it back on 53 and the (M) on 63 not only gives riders little reason to stay on the local destination-wise, but also eliminates xfers to the (7)(G) and (E) from half of trains serving QB local west of Roosevelt.  

That will once again create massive platform crowds, demonic express trains, and underutilized locals, all for what benefit? Putting things back “the way they should be”? Creating variety on 63? There’s a reason the current service pattern exists, and it’s a good one.

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 12:10 PM, Bosco said:

Plus, the FIND was one of the first spec changes.  The R160s originally were supposed to have the same strip maps as the R142/R143.  Back in the early 2000s, screen technology wasn't as cheap as it is now.  Prices only fell through the floor a few years ago.

I'm glad Transit realized how completely useless those strip maps would've been the 160s.

21 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

This is why Bergen Lower level should re-open to provide a connection before the crosstown diverge.

The likelihood of that happening is slim to none. Reopening the platforms on the lower level would require a massive amount of money given they are practically a shell at this point. As such, it would likely also run into ADA regulations, with advocates calling for elevators and other accessibility components.

11 hours ago, RR503 said:

By doing that, you’re bringing back Queens boulevard of yore — an overcrowded, expressophilic mess. The (F) going to 63rd takes half of exp service to a less busy corridor, forcing riders to at least consider the local. Putting it back on 53 and the (M) on 63 not only gives riders little reason to stay on the local destination-wise, but also eliminates xfers to the (7)(G) and (E) from half of trains serving QB local west of Roosevelt.  

That will once again create massive platform crowds, demonic express trains, and underutilized locals, all for what benefit? Putting things back “the way they should be”? Creating variety on 63? There’s a reason the current service pattern exists, and it’s a good one.

It also woefully underserves 63rd Street. In the Summer of '01, part of the service testing included running the (V) trains via 63rd Street while retaining the (F) on 53rd Street. With the (V)'s reduced TPH compared to that of the  (F), the idea was considered a bust as it did not alleviate any of the congestion along 53rd Street, nor did it have the potential to pull any riders off the (E) or (F) lines. Transit also took into consideration the transfer potential along 53rd Street. With both the (E) and (V) there, riders have the option of both local and express service. Take that away and riders seeking local Queens Blvd stops have to transfer at Queens Plaza for the (R). That has not changed despite the letter designation change in 2010.

The above suggestion also confuses and annoys riders as 63rd Street would be served by Queens Blvd locals on weekdays and expresses during the off-hours. Sorry if your destination was Northern Blvd. Change at Roosevelt Av to backtrack. Things have got to be consistent here.

24 minutes ago, Lance said:

Reopening the platforms on the lower level would require a massive amount of money given they are practically a shell at this point. As such, it would likely also run into ADA regulations, with advocates calling for elevators and other accessibility components.

Imagine if 86 Street and Lexington Avenue went through the same thing and the MTA implicitly tells the public, “sorry folks, but ADA law makes it impossible to fix this station cheaply and the guys above ground don’t want 3 years of construction work. You’ll have to stick with local service.”

2 minutes ago, CenSin said:

Imagine if 86 Street and Lexington Avenue went through the same thing and the MTA implicitly tells the public, “sorry folks, but ADA law makes it impossible to fix this station cheaply and the guys above ground don’t want 3 years of construction work. You’ll have to stick with local service.”

I never said I agreed with this. Quite frankly, I find it ludicrous that is the standard excuse the MTA gives for things of this nature, but you know that is exactly what they'll say if it's ever proposed to restore Bergen St back to full express/local status. Probably in some flowery prose to soften the blow, but the same nonetheless. This is yet another one of those instances where the local politicians need to get involved and advocate for their constituents. Of course, it all depends on whether the Culver express is actually successful, but if the need is there, it should definitely be looked into.

2 hours ago, Lance said:

The likelihood of that happening is slim to none. Reopening the platforms on the lower level would require a massive amount of money given they are practically a shell at this point. As such, it would likely also run into ADA regulations, with advocates calling for elevators and other accessibility components.

Can't they get a waiver? The Station doesn't have elevators now, they'd just be reopening a lower level.

1 hour ago, N6 Limited said:

Can't they get a waiver? The Station doesn't have elevators now, they'd just be reopening a lower level.

The MTA would need to justify not putting in elevators (too much money, too difficult engineering-wise, etc).

I don't know how Bergen is laid out in terms of staircases, but are there any abandoned staircases that could be converted?  Many of the CPW stations south of 110 St have abandoned staircases that could either be reopened or, ideally, converted to elevators.

4 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Look what we have here!

38064809616_e2a298e4ed_k.jpgIMG_1988 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

38118871861_19bc05af28_k.jpgIMG_1987 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

37409775024_85c7ed56c7_k.jpgIMG_1986 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

37409777594_973f48c8d5_k.jpgIMG_1985 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

I saw five Cuomo sets today.

Wow. Another Coney Island R160 swapped to Jamaica. Why not just modernize their own yard’s cars. I wonder which Jamaica R160 is now the placeholder taking its place.

5 hours ago, Bosco said:

The MTA would need to justify not putting in elevators (too much money, too difficult engineering-wise, etc).

I don't know how Bergen is laid out in terms of staircases, but are there any abandoned staircases that could be converted?  Many of the CPW stations south of 110 St have abandoned staircases that could either be reopened or, ideally, converted to elevators.

If the elevators fail as often as they currently do, I would rather have them reopen as stairs that work 24/7 than elevators that broken and make you walk to the other end of the station to get in/out.

On 11/1/2017 at 3:51 PM, N6 Limited said:

So last night the (2) was running express, while the (3) was terminating at 34th St and so they had (2) trains waiting for the (3) to clear before being able to proceed. Why don't they just switch the (2) to the local track at 14th street until 34th street so that it's not held up?

That (2) Train could've ran express by the dispatcher for either being late or a switch problem at 96th Street. It's not the first time they will reroute a line express during the overnight if it's behind schedule.

And there's no track switch from the express tracks to the local track at 14th Street southbound. It's only from the local track to the express tracks before approaching 14th Street.

4 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Wow. Another Coney Island R160 swapped to Jamaica. Why not just modernize their own yard’s cars. I wonder which Jamaica R160 is now the placeholder taking its place.

I’m enjoying more of these R160B’s on the (E) but yeah I think Jamaica should have just got their own cars retrofitted. 

A couple of thoughts on the (7) line:

* I remember some stations have countdown clocks, IIRC

*Also, if the 5th car of the train isn't working properly, can the c/r move to the 6th car of the train to open and close the doors of the train (for example, 33 St-Rawson St) ?

21 minutes ago, Abba said:

I wanted to mention that last week Friday I got a r142 6 train.How lucky was I? How many sets are left ?

7 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

1 whole set and a 5 car spare iirc. The others were sent to the (4).

*There's only 1 R142A train with a 5-car leftover on the Pelham line: 7596-7610

1 hour ago, Ntrainfave said:

What's the difference between Alstom and Siemens R160s other than the sound of the motor? 

Also same question for the difference between R160A and R160B (alstom) besides the sound of the doors opening?

There’s no difference other than R160B’s having a glossier metal finish, silent door motors and different car Numbers such as 8723-8842/9103-9232 & 9803-9942

Siemens sets are essentially R160B’s aswell but with Different propulsion mechanics. Siemens sets are 8843-9102