BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

That photo reminds me, been meaning to clarify this. The "stripes" are not applied by themselves. Bused in the Cuomo scheme are actually wrapped entirely from the windows below. The blue on the bottom is also part of the wrap. The only painted portions of the bus are above the windows and on the front/rear. You can see this for yourself in direct sunlight: above the windows is a glossy finish, below the windows is more of a matte. It's a little redundant to wrap blue with blue, imo, but it's clearly an easier wrap to just have a single piece for the entire sides.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

That photo reminds me, been meaning to clarify this. The "stripes" are not applied by themselves. Bused in the Cuomo scheme are actually wrapped entirely from the windows below. The blue on the bottom is also part of the wrap. The only painted portions of the bus are above the windows and on the front/rear. You can see this for yourself in direct sunlight: above the windows is a glossy finish, below the windows is more of a matte. It's a little redundant to wrap blue with blue, imo, but it's clearly an easier wrap to just have a single piece for the entire sides.

Actually it's different for different bus types, especially the SBS buses. Why are there so many various types of paint schemes? IDK. Me personally, I would just have a base blue (front, sides, roof) and yellow paint (rear), with the stripes being wrapped around the bus. And for SBS buses, a base dark blue (front, roof, side upper half) and light blue (side bottom half, rear bottom half, front bottom half) and yellow ( upper rear) with the SBS stripes wrapped around the bus. But they say its more full efficient to wrap instead of paint the whole bus...but the new LFS...

But....according to the thread:

"Paint & Wrap, WHAT IS IT?!?!! Well, here is the solid fact answer!"

Order 5364-5438 (XD60) - Base Paint: White with Black Paint used around the windows, Full wrap is applied over the white base paint

Order 5987-6125 (XD60) - Base Paint: SBS Light Blue Paint from the bottom to the top window line with Vinyl Yellow and medium blue stripes, White Paint on the rear, Dark Blue Paint above the window line and over the face & Black Paint around the windows. The Cuomo Scheme is this wrapped over all of this. YES the REGULAR SCHEME IS ALL WRAP, UNDERNEATH THE WRAP THE BUS IS IN AN UNCOMPLETED SELECT PAINT SCHEME

Order 673-810 (XN40) - Base Paint: Black Around the windows and Full Blue over the sides, roof and face with a White Back. The Yellow and striping is vinyl wrap. The Select units are full wrap below the window line, on the face and on the lower rear.

Order 1016-1125 (XN60) - Base Paint: SBS Light Blue Paint below and above the window line with Vinyl Yellow and medium blue stripes, White Paint on the rear, Dark Blue Paint  over the face & Black Paint around the windows. The Cuomo Scheme is this wrapped over all of this. YES AGAIN the REGULAR SCHEME IS ALL WRAP, UNDERNEATH THE WRAP THE BUS IS IN AN UNCOMPLETED SELECT PAINT SCHEME

Now with these orders...

Order 5439-5530, 5531-5602 (LFSA) (I believe they're completely wrapped like the 5364-5438 order, but have SBS paint on the bottom half.  

Order 6126-6233, 6234-6286 (XD60) (I believe these are just like the previous order 5987-6125)

Order 7484-7875 (XD40) (I feel these are just like the new LFS base blue (front, sides, roof) and yellow paint (rear), with the stripes being wrapped around the bus.

Order 9501-9784 (XDE40) (I think these are the same as the XD40s)

Order 8504-8754 (LFS) (Based on photos, base blue (front, sides, roof) and yellow paint (rear), with the stripes being wrapped around the bus.)

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

3 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Actually it's different for different bus types, especially the SBS buses. Why are there so many various types of paint schemes? IDK. Me personally, I would just have a base blue (front, sides, roof) and yellow paint (rear), with the stripes being wrapped around the bus. And for SBS buses, a base dark blue (front, roof, side upper half) and light blue (side bottom half, rear bottom half, front bottom half) and yellow ( upper rear) with the SBS stripes wrapped around the bus. But they say its more full efficient to wrap instead of paint the whole bus...but the new LFS...

[cut for space]

My guy, I got that haha. That's not what I'm saying. I'm clarifying that information, which is not entirely right. On all of the local service Xcelsior buses since the 5400s, the 'stripes' are included on a larger wrap. The blue you see below the windows is not paint, it's wrap. Yes, the bus is painted full blue, but the MTA is covering that with a blue wrap which includes the stripes. That's why it's two different kinds of blues above and below the windows. I would bet that any bus you see with yellow stripes, those stripes are actually attached to a full-body wrap below the windows, but I haven't checked that on the LFS buses yet.

Also, I think that info about 5364-5438 is wrong. Under 541x the buses have a white base, but I'm pretty sure above that are blue-based buses. The MTA switched the specs mid-order, which is why the first buses were delivered in the white and blue paint. You can see this on the AC units on top of the buses, and by the type of paint above the windows. 

2 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

Cuomo expedited the rollout, the new scheme was created by MTA..

I believe that is not true. The blue and yellow branding are the NYS colors that Cuomo has mandated on everything from road signs to tunnel tiles. Yes, the MTA did the design, but I believe those colors and designs are from the bigwigs upstate.

Edited by MHV9218

9 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

My guy, I got that haha. That's not what I'm saying. I'm clarifying that information, which is not entirely right. On all of the local service Xcelsior buses since the 5400s, the 'stripes' are included on a larger wrap. The blue you see below the windows is not paint, it's wrap. Yes, the bus is painted full blue, but the MTA is covering that with a blue wrap which includes the stripes. That's why it's two different kinds of blues above and below the windows. I would bet that any bus you see with yellow stripes, those stripes are actually attached to a full-body wrap below the windows, but I haven't checked that on the LFS buses yet.

Also, I think that info about 5364-5438 is wrong. Under 541x the buses have a white base, but I'm pretty sure above that are blue-based buses. The MTA switched the specs mid-order, which is why the first buses were delivered in the white and blue paint. You can see this on the AC units on top of the buses, and by the type of paint above the windows. 

I believe that is not true. The blue and yellow branding are the NYS colors that Cuomo has mandated on everything from road signs to tunnel tiles. Yes, the MTA did the design, but I believe those colors and designs are from the bigwigs upstate.

YES! I also think this was the case...but I was just listening to higher ups since they're around the buses.

5364-5367, 5369-5411 have the white base, 5368, 5412-5438 have the blue base. 

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

You may be right. Others mentioned Hudson Link which I completely forgot about. 

Edited by Jdog14

15 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

YES! I also think this was the case...but I was just listening to higher ups since they're around the buses.

5364-5367, 5369-5411 have the white base, 5368, 5412-5438 have the blue base. 

That's exactly it.....but the naysayers say otherwise, even though several 539x buses were delivered to the vendor in all-white paint.....

Yeah, looks beyond stupid. They started doing that when they removed the plain MTA logos and switched to the full NYCB. They ought to either move the USB logos (easy, could go anywhere), or move the 'Safety is our goal' sticker and put the NYCB on the left. Putting it dead center below the light is an OCD nightmare lol. 

24 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

KB was the first depot to operate D60HF, and it way its looking, they will be the last depot to operate the D60HF.

That's pretty cool.

It would be really cool if it's last run was on the Bx1. That would really bring things full circle from the first run with 1001 in 1996.

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

Is there a set-date for the M14 SBS or that it's still in the works?

Just now, Brillant93 said:

I think it’s still in the works. 

There an open house on April 2 for the M14 SBS:

http://www.thelodownny.com/leslog/2019/03/mta-schedules-open-house-on-controversial-m14-changes.html

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

They should have kept the NYCB at the top and moved the wifi/usb stickers underneath the destination sign (like how it is on the 2015's with WiFi retrofits)

That requires them using the smaller NYCB decals, but yes, completely agree. This is just a mess with the vent and all. One thing for old buses to look a little wonky, but new deliveries should be clean. That said, as far as I'm concerned the old decent liveries are on the SBS buses. The local scheme is too busy. At least the SBS look calls back the blue/dark blue of the 70s, which is probably my all-time favorite Transit scheme.

4 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

About time there's footage of this bus...

There's nothing that special about these.....practically the same exact spec as the 2015s, just with the new scheme, new interior signs and a new destination sign, that's about it.

I'm also not waking up at the asscrack of dawn to fan these(it's been AM only for now)....I like my sleep, thank you lol.