BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

12 minutes ago, East New York said:

3524, 3658, 3676, 3694, 3698, 3703, 3773, 3776, 3781 to SC on loan

I cheered at this (Silently, not out loud) and pumped my fist when when I saw this move haha. I love the C40s but it will be nice to see diversity on SC local routes again. I was so happy when they got those Orion CNG's from NYCT before they retired. I wish the orange sign units from WF made their way to there but it is what is.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/22/2019 at 8:01 PM, Coney Island Av said:

Yes. 

The new 2018-2019 Nova LFS that have recently been coming in as of late will retire the oldest batch of hybrids, the 2002-2004 Orion VII OGs. 

Later this year and into 2020, the 2004-2005 Orion VII OGs will be replaced by the new XDE40s. 

Actually not really since the OGs from Manhattanville aren't getting replaced by Nova LFS

40 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

Actually not really since the OGs from Manhattanville aren't getting replaced by Nova LFS

Well, he's right..., the LFS are replacing the orions lmao. Queens Village is getting brand new novas to directly replace their orions. While LFS aren't going directly to MV, LFS that go to Yukon will be displacing 70something NGs to other depots, and manhattanville is likely in the cards for those NGs. May not be a direct replacement, but still the LFS are still contributing significantly to the retirement of the Gen 1s

2 minutes ago, Q23 via 108 said:

Is the Q88 Queens Village longest Route? Also, were the GREEN Orion 7s exclusively sent to Queens Village and Manhattanville?

The longest bus route is the S78 at about 19 miles, for express it might be the SIM8 (it was the X17 to tottenville but obviously not anymore) 

13 minutes ago, Q23 via 108 said:

Is the Q88 Queens Village longest Route? Also, were the GREEN Orion 7s exclusively sent to Queens Village and Manhattanville?

MCH had some of the green sign Orions when new, there's photos of 6365 running on the BX19 when it was new.

As someone whose ridden both the Q27 and Q88, the Q27 feels much longer than the Q88. Odds are the Q27 is QV longest route, the Q36 to little Neck from 165th Bus terminal gotta be up there as well.

Edited by trainfan22

What is TA policy on wheelchairs who do this, They use the wheelchair as their walker and have the WC strapped down and they DO NOT sit in it instead sitting in the seat across from their wheelchair, when coming home on the bus supervisor comes to fix the farebox, then he scolds a guy who uses the WC when he isnt sitting in his wheelchair, reminds him he cant do that you will deny a ride to someone who really needs it etc

18 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

This morning while watching "Good Day NY" They had a camera in Willamsburg and the Proterra drove by, there was also two SBS wrapped XD40s on the B44 SBS. This was at 7:30AM.

I believe the 2 B44 SBS XD40’s are interlines for the B46 SBS. (Can a FB op confirm on this) I usually see 1 pulling off from the Junction at about 6:30AM heading to Williamsburg Bridge. 

Random thought of the day: 4138, 4139 started working on the 41 yesterday (recent pickups from Grand Avenue)  and there are 3 RTS working the B41. 4954 is one that I’ve spotted this morning. 

.... and I kinda find it strange after November 2018 there hasn’t been another driverside wrap for any of the Brooklyn Division local buses. I know it’s been spoken about in the past that divisions outside Manhattan don’t really cater to driverside wraps on their local buses and Outfront (current MTA ad suppler) mostly cater to the Manhattan and Express bus divisions. 

58 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I believe the 2 B44 SBS XD40’s are interlines for the B46 SBS. (Can a FB op confirm on this) I usually see 1 pulling off from the Junction at about 6:30AM heading to Williamsburg Bridge. 

Random thought of the day: 4138, 4139 started working on the 41 yesterday (recent pickups from Grand Avenue)  and there are 3 RTS working the B41. 4954 is one that I’ve spotted this morning. 

.... and I kinda find it strange after November 2018 there hasn’t been another driverside wrap for any of the Brooklyn Division local buses. I know it’s been spoken about in the past that divisions outside Manhattan don’t really cater to driverside wraps on their local buses and Outfront (current MTA ad suppler) mostly cater to the Manhattan and Express bus divisions. 

20 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

This morning while watching "Good Day NY" They had a camera in Willamsburg and the Proterra drove by, there was also two SBS wrapped XD40s on the B44 SBS. This was at 7:30AM.

Yes that XD40 sbs44 was because of artic bus shortage. Anytime there are no Articulated buses available for a pull out, the yard dispatcher will send an XD40 SBS out in service for the SBS44. On bad snow weather they do the same thing by sending out some of the XD40's out on that route when its possible.

21 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Yes that XD40 sbs44 was because of artic bus shortage. Anytime there are no Articulated buses available for a pull out, the yard dispatcher will send an XD40 SBS out in service for the SBS44. On bad snow weather they do the same thing by sending out some of the XD40's out on that route when its possible.

I definitely know about the bad snow weather days and they work the route until storm passes. However, as of late I’ve seen 2 to 3 XD40’s for SBS early AM pullout than they interline for the 46 at WBP. 

Thanks for confirmations Duece! 

From the looks of things: Grand Avenue, Kingsbridge and West Farms are getting dibs on the LFSA’s. Hope there’s enough to spread around. 

Edited by Future ENY OP

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

I definitely know about the bad snow weather days and they work the route until storm passes. However, as of late I’ve seen 2 to 3 XD40’s for SBS early AM pullout than they interline for the 46 at WBP. 

Thanks for confirmations Duece! 

From the looks of things: Grand Avenue, Kingsbridge and West Farms are getting dibs on the LFSA’s. Hope there’s enough to spread around. 

I just checked all the paddle runs for the AM sb44/46 and not one has any sort of interlining. The SBS runs are left alone and doesn't interline, the only line that interlines ONLY during AM rush hour service only are the following "B41, B44, and both the B2 and B31 always interline with each other" 

You'll see 5-9 Runs from the local B44 first pulls out as a B41 short trip to Empire BLVD and after goes back to its original route  starting point at Empire Blvd and Nostrand Avenue heading back to Avenue U.

B41 5 - 9 runs pulls out as B44 local to Empire BLVD or start as regular short trip from AVE P flatbush ave to Empire BLVD and after turns to local 44 from Empire to Avenue X last stop and head back towards the B41 to restart.  These interlining only occurs at FB depot only during Morning Rush hour service only. 

1 hour ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

I just checked all the paddle runs for the AM sb44/46 and not one has any sort of interlining. The SBS runs are left alone and doesn't interline, the only line that interlines ONLY during AM rush hour service only are the following "B41, B44, and both the B2 and B31 always interline with each other" 

You'll see 5-9 Runs from the local B44 first pulls out as a B41 short trip to Empire BLVD and after goes back to its original route  starting point at Empire Blvd and Nostrand Avenue heading back to Avenue U.

B41 5 - 9 runs pulls out as B44 local to Empire BLVD or start as regular short trip from AVE P flatbush ave to Empire BLVD and after turns to local 44 from Empire to Avenue X last stop and head back towards the B41 to restart.  These interlining only occurs at FB depot only during Morning Rush hour service only. 

Appreciate the clarification. I was always under the impression that those SBS44’s turn to SBS46 once they complete at WBP with a XD40. So my guess is that the XD40’s do return back as SBS44’s and not an interline for the 46. 

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Just saw a brand new 2019 Nova LFS in all blue and yellow (no stripes or numbers or decals) heading WESTBOUND on the LIE passing Deer Park (around 11:15am) ....whats it doing out here? 

Nova is making the buses white and then they send them to NEBR in Ronkonkoma to get painted and then back up to Nova for decals.

Why they're doing this I have no idea.

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Nova is making the buses white and then they send them to NEBR in Ronkonkoma to get painted and then back up to Nova for decals.

Why they're doing this I have no idea.

That doesn't make any sense...

But now that I think about it...Nova with its ONE plant building all these buses probably doesn't have time to paint buses. Why not just have NEBR apply the stripes and decals? Probably need to be Nova certified?

Or maybe their paint shop is down and there's no where else to paint buses up there. 

Well here's it from today. Here you go  @King Transit since you were FEENING to see what it looks like without stripes.

B5072263-FA48-46FB-ADC2-BBCB1A0B3E95_zps

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

But now that I think about it...Nova with its ONE plant building all these buses probably doesn't have time to paint buses. Why not just have NEBR apply the stripes and decals? Probably need to be Nova certified?

Or maybe their paint shop is down and there's no where else to paint buses up there. 

Well here's it from today. Here you go  @King Transit since you were FEENING to see what it looks like without stripes.

Do we have to go with this new scheme on all the new buses? 

11 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Do we have to go with this new scheme on all the new buses? 

I'll counter your question with a question.

When was the last time you saw a new bus in the old scheme?

I think that answers your question, especially since we haven't looked back since 2015.

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤭🤭🤭