BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

24 minutes ago, 1train2255railfan said:

It is also ironic that they won't need that many Prevosts either, so it would have been better if they got them out of the way first 

Those buses are only used for the QM21, (the QM4 went back to College Point), so they are in a better spot in terms of needing new express buses. Rush hour only buses that are not run on weekends, and only do a few trips every day tops, so less mileage. There are depots that have much older buses with more mileage, which seems to be what they decided to focus on here. College Point and Staten Island have the oldest express buses with those 2002 buses, and I am glad to see them go, as are many other express bus commuters in my group. They represent a period in which express buses were in their worst shape. Broken down buses with no AC was the norm on Staten Island, and those 2002 buses that remain, many of them I have rode for over 10 years.

31 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Looking at the new Prevost list, Baisley Park is part of the order but may be the last depot to receive these buses. 

Yeah and that's fine for the reasons I mentioned above.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

You mean like NICE bus' XN40's.... 

More or less yeah. If the buses with announcements are announcing the pick-up stops while onboard, that's rather pointless and annoying. I hope that isn't the case, since I personally haven't run into any of those buses yet. 

57 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

More or less yeah. If the buses with announcements are announcing the pick-up stops while onboard, that's rather pointless and annoying. I hope that isn't the case, since I personally haven't run into any of those buses yet. 

As of a month ago no announcements play at all, just screen display. Unsure if it's the same now.

Lmao. That's pretty great. What the C40s could have looked like if 1) we didn't pull the switcharoo with New Flyer and 2) the Cuomo wraps were used for post-2011 buses as planned. Pretty nifty attention to detail that they actually planned a wrap for that. Guess they modeled it after the 9500s with the white stripe!

1 minute ago, Cait Sith said:

The S56 doesn't go to the ferry.

I see... Not the (MTA) 's fault per se. Whatever updates are made to my knowledge are made by an outside contractor, not necessarily in-house, which is why it takes so long for updates when they are needed. It should be in-house though. Getting a simple change takes forever.

7 hours ago, MTADieselBuses said:

https://gyazo.com/f524e13312610420c2a92ad3f9740311

These BusTime glitches are pretty funny.

4 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

The S56 doesn't go to the ferry.

It might be that S74 trip that starts at Tottenville High School (though I believe that only goes as far as the ETC). Maybe the only code they could find was one for a ferry-bound S56.

8 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

It might be that S74 trip that starts at Tottenville High School (though I believe that only goes as far as the ETC). Maybe the only code they could find was one for a ferry-bound S56.

There's no codes for the S56 to St. George though.

1 hour ago, M5viaRiverside said:

How does Bus Time know how many passengers are on each bus? OMNY taps?

The counters are not always accurate. I’ve been on buses that were said to be crowded according to MTA Bus time but might of had 12 people onboard when I boarded. 

32 minutes ago, 7-express said:

Though I've noticed the counters on the new 13xx express buses don't seem to show up all the time.

Capture.png

one of the reason could be a broken farebox. i remember riding 1311 on the QM4 once and it rejected my card even though it had enough, and when i checked bustime a few mins after I got on, it did not change (i was the only passenger for the trip and it should had said 1 passenger) sometimes i feel like the cameras on board play a role in the passenger count

Edited by Q39 to Ridgewood

31 minutes ago, Q39 to Ridgewood said:

one of the reason could be a broken farebox. i remember riding 1311 on the QM4 once and it rejected my card even though it had enough, and when i checked bustime a few mins after I got on, it did not change (i was the only passenger for the trip and it should had said 1 passenger) sometimes i feel like the cameras on board play a role in the passenger count

It's the sensors placed above the door that keep track of the passenger count. The fareboxes can only provide a general overview on how a certain trip is performing overall. 

19 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The counters are not always accurate. I’ve been on buses that were said to be crowded according to MTA Bus time but might of had 12 people onboard when I boarded. 

They seem to have gotten much more accurate recently...when I've been on the Q46 and the X63/4/8 with them, it's been accurate to within 1 person (and maybe it counts the B/O if they go out to adjust a mirror or whatnot)