BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of C40LFs on LGA routes, I got 558 on the Q72 two nights ago on Friday.

Also, the Q104 is now mostly C40LFs, just like the Q29 and Q72.

The five remaining Orion V CNG's are staying until January, but aren't being loaned to LGA as much (if at all). They are mostly on the Q65, about 2-3 per day.

Edited by 4P3607

Speaking of C40LFs on LGA routes, I got 558 on the Q72 two nights ago on Friday.

Also, the Q104 is now mostly C40LFs, just like the Q29 and Q72.

The five remaining Orion V CNG's are staying until January, but aren't being loaned to LGA as much (if at all). They are mostly on the Q65, about 2-3 per day.

Good to know that the Orion V CNGs still have 2 months left in service. Also, CP needs to take back the routes they gave to LGA.

Good to know that the Orion V CNGs still have 2 months left in service. Also, CP needs to take back the routes they gave to LGA.

Why? The whole purpose of that was for CP to gain Express routes while they give LGA more local work. It's also cost-efficient since the deadhead to LGA is much shorter on all 4 lines.

Interestingly, BusTime hasn't been showing any of the M5 put ins from Quill or elsewhere (nor some of the short turn buses out of MHV, either).

Wait Manhattan routes are on BusTime... :huh:

edit:Apparently yes...and we Have our first mistake:

• M8 West Village - East Village LTD

via 8 & 9 St Crosstown

to AVENUE "D" CROSSTOWN

to WEST ST CROSSTOWN

Edited by Around the Horn

Why? The whole purpose of that was for CP to gain Express routes while they give LGA more local work. It's also cost-efficient since the deadhead to LGA is much shorter on all 4 lines.

But I think he means CP takes better care of their buses than LGA does and that local riders shouldn't be given substandard buses running on their lines. That's why some of us would've preferred CP kept more of their local bus routes than taking on most (if not all) express bus routes among the 2.

But I think he means CP takes better care of their buses than LGA does and that local riders shouldn't be given substandard buses running on their lines. That's why some of us would've preferred CP kept more of their local bus routes than taking on most (if not all) express bus routes among the 2.

LOL... I don't know about that.  Their express buses are pretty banged up.  Then again I know some of them may have been sent over to Staten Island for a bit so that explains some of the bang ups.

Dunno about the express buses, but am talking about the local buses.

For the local buses, I'd say they keep the newer buses looking decent. I've used the Q25 a few times and the buses looked okay.  The Q65 however gets the hand-me-downs.  Hopefully they'll get more new buses to replace those old orions.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

For the local buses, I'd say they keep the newer buses looking decent. I've used the Q25 a few times and the buses looked okay. The Q65 however gets the hand-me-downs. Hopefully they'll get more new buses to replace those old orions.

The entire CP local fleet (minus those 5 Orion Vs putting along) is nothing but new buses...

Yeah I know.  Those Orions are gonna go soon though so maybe they'll get more new buses since the RTS's will be retired soon also.

The RTS retirement won't be happening until around 2015-2017. The O5 CNG's however might retire at the end of the year, but that won't be a major problem since the O5 CNG's come out during rush hours.

Some have said the ngs at LGA are pretty beaten to hell. So even if they got new buses, it won't change much if they are treated like crap. That's why it's justified giving them mostly hand me downs since the NGs and OGs were delivered.

JFK and FR aren't that great either. I been on some Orion VII OG's and especially NG's that sound and look horrible. I was one a NG recently on the Q10 and it made this weird screeching sound. And I been on some on the Q41 that sounded horrible as well. The Orion OG's are generally taken cared of but there are still many that are bad.

The RTS retirement won't be happening until around 2015-2017. The O5 CNG's however might retire at the end of the year, but that won't be a major problem since the O5 CNG's come out during rush hours.

When do the tanks expire, like December 31st end-of-the-year, or is it varied, and do the CNGs at EH expire at the same dat, 'cause if that's the case, I think the MTA should just take out of storage as many CNGs as they can and have the CNG depots lend them to depots with shortages. Run them 'till they expire, and just find another way of dealing with the shortages after that.

JFK and FR aren't that great either. I been on some Orion VII OG's and especially NG's that sound and look horrible. I was one a NG recently on the Q10 and it made this weird screeching sound. And I been on some on the Q41 that sounded horrible as well. The Orion OG's are generally taken cared of but there are still many that are bad.

Never said they were. Before Sandy, the FR buses were really terrible especially with the seat covering fabric on the OGs ripping apart. Another time I saw what looked like part of the pole holding the seat grab bar to the handle bar for the standees 'sawed off'. And now due to Sandy JFK has to maintain buses for FR as well. Which ironically means the buses aren't total shit for a change.

What about BP? Keep it in the company so to speak.

Not a bad idea, JBL took better care of their buses before the takeover. Plus they should've been all hybrids when SC was fully cng.

NG's at BP? That would be a sight

I don't mind the OG's actually. Those NG's need to get out of LGA. They are just horrible on the Q53 and other routes.

Agreed.

Edited by Grand Concourse