BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Less and less Bx12 local drivers have been accepting the SBS receipts and have even been borderline confrontational about people coming into the buses with an SBS ticket. That's why I wait until I see which bus is coming before I swipe at the SBS machine.

What's up with that? The (MTA) said it was allowed.  On the M15 I've done it a few times and it hasn't been a problem.  In fact they don't even check.  I would write in and file a complaint because unless the (MTA) says otherwise, it is still allowed.  They have no reason to be confrontational about it, other than them wanting to be difficult.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I have no idea, personally I don't do it but recently I've seen more and more B/O's outright tell people "that's no good here", "this is the wrong bus" and to "get off and wait for the SBS." In the past I'd see most B/O's would either wave you on or collect the receipt.

Wasnt that way before up here, in fact I think it was actually the other way around between the M15 and the Bx12 in the past (M15=problematic, Bx12=no problems.)

hows the M34 SBS? I'm going to Comic Con next week and usually I take the (E) to 34th and walk. But since I'll be walking all around the convention center, I was thinking of taking the SBS over.

If the traffic is horrible along 34th Street, do NOT take that 34. 

You have a better chance of walking it.

When there is light traffic, that 34 moves

How do all those depots get their gas?? How often is it refilled? Or are there gas lines underground?

I was curious when I saw the gas line at Castleton

Think of the depot like one big gas station. A truck comes and delivers fuel to the building which is stored underground somewhere. A bus pulls up to the pump and gets filled from the tank underground.

CNG I'm not so sure about

The individual branches of the M34 don't run all that often on the weekend, which is kind of disappointing for a crosstown. Unless there's a bus within sight or something, you should probably just walk.

Construction of bus bulbs on 34th street is also slowing the bus down... significantly 

For real? It's about time. 

Think of the depot like one big gas station. A truck comes and delivers fuel to the building which is stored underground somewhere. A bus pulls up to the pump and gets filled from the tank underground.

CNG I'm not so sure about

With CNG depots, the CNG fueling station is connected to the main natural gas line..

Speaking of SBS, I don't like those payment machines. I think that they should accept cash or at least credit card would be much more convenient instead or running around looking for change or to refill ur metrocard

On the other hand, I was out of luck at Co-Op and got on a Bx12 without paying by getting on the back door, so it has its advantages,

How do all those depots get their gas?? How often is it refilled? Or are there gas lines underground?

Fuel is trucked in daily...I believe that Sprague Energy has the current contract to fuel the MTA, and they usually truck the fuel in from their depots in Five Towns or Mount Vernon.

You should see the big CNG plastic barrels they have at CP. Never occured to me to take pictures of them, though.