SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i saw on another forum that apparently a member there took the (R) from brooklyn 59th to bay ridge ave (1 stop) and the train was packed to the gills and someone yelled at him to take his bag off, well yelling is rude as hell and how the deuce is he gonna take his bag off if he freaking can't stretch his arms out with out touching someone?

i saw on another forum that apparently a member there took the (R) from brooklyn 59th to bay ridge ave (1 stop) and the train was packed to the gills and someone yelled at him to take his bag off, well yelling is rude as hell and how the deuce is he gonna take his bag off if he freaking can't stretch his arms out with out touching someone?

I saw that post. The Boston troll annoyed me

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

A question that i used to wonder about ever since i was a kid, Does anyone know what the R means in R68,R160,R40 etc.? Surprisingly thats one question i don't know.

The "R" is actually for Rapid. The contracts are not just for revenue cars and a lot aren't even subway cars. Contracts for the surface division start with "S".

I believe it's for revenue contract, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

I believe it's for revenue contract, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong. 

I'm not sure what the R stands for, but it's not revenue.  Examples: R127/R134 garbage trains, R156 diesel, TGC, etc.  So it would appear to pertain to anything ®olling stock.  That would be my best guess.

Fun fact: the true R-type contract names are actually R34XXX.  So the R160 contract is technically called the R34160, and the contract for the R211 is R34211.

I'm not sure what the R stands for, but it's not revenue.  Examples: R127/R134 garbage trains, R156 diesel, TGC, etc.  So it would appear to pertain to anything ®olling stock.  That would be my best guess.

Fun fact: the true R-type contract names are actually R34XXX.  So the R160 contract is technically called the R34160, and the contract for the R211 is R34211.

Definitely Rapid. Contracts for the Rapid Transit system.

I'm not sure what the R stands for, but it's not revenue. Examples: R127/R134 garbage trains, R156 diesel, TGC, etc. So it would appear to pertain to anything ®olling stock. That would be my best guess.

Fun fact: the true R-type contract names are actually R34XXX. So the R160 contract is technically called the R34160, and the contract for the R211 is R34211.

Sometimes it's not even trains at all. Even miscellaneous things like cranes for inside the shops get a contract number lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

plus remember that during middays and Saturdays is when the (A) runs every 7-8 minutes in both directions (15 minutes east of Rockaway Boulevard) which means the line itself generally has 38-40 trainsets out in passenger service. But during rush hours, it has a total of 38 trainsets in the AM and 40 trainsets in the PM. In short, the extra trains that come out of the 207th Street yard and start service at either Dyckman or 168th in the PM make the (A) train's headways shorter than 7-8 minutes.

That makes more sense. Still, couldn't they take them out of the yard 3 minutes earlier and make the stops at Dyckman, 190, 181, and 175?

Thanks for the clarification on the R-type contracts.  

As for the put-ins on the (A) or for any line, they're usually timed so that they don't interfere with other trains in service.  And during rush hour, 3 minutes is a long time, especially when the (A) is supposed to run every 4-6 minutes.  So I don't think that would work, but correct me if I'm wrong.

So, I don't think there's a more specific thread to put this in, but I have a pretty wacky idea:

The BQX streetcar has been proposed, but at this point, it's unclear if it will actually go through. However, the fact remains that more and more riders are going from outer boroughs to other boroughs. Right now, I'm thinking the main way people from southern Brooklyn is to take whatever they take to get to Atlantic Terminal, then from there, get to Astoria on the N via Manhattan. It seems like a good system, right? But there continues to be more riders in Manhattan as well as around, and routes going through Manhattan become increasingly busier. But wait! The G train doesn't go through Manhattan! That's true. What if you could get from Brooklyn to Astoria easily without going through Manhattan?

Maybe there's a way via the G train. As of right now, you could potentially transfer 4 or 5 times to avoid Manhattan. How do you fix this? Basically upgrade the entirety of the G train route. As you all probably know, Brooklyn around hoyt schermerhorn is a mess. It's very hard to get to the G from some other routes. So I don't really have a solution to that (yet). But, here's something interesting. Extend the G from court square up to Astoria. Utilize existing tracks on the IND Crosstown line to the IND Queens Boulevard Line, then stop at Queens Plaza. From there, I believe new infrastructure would be needed to have new tracks emerge from the ground, and connect to 39th avenue and travel the BMT Astoria Line the rest of the way.

This all seems ridiculous even to me. The cost may not justify what we're getting. What do all of you think? Is it better just to go through Manhattan? Is there even demand for something like this? Could there be a feasable rout path for this? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I just watched the subway challenge video. Matthew Ahn, traverses thru the subway to get all of them. I read there are different types like A, B, and C, it was all very interesting. Who's gonna do the 472-station challenge? Not being able to take express trains in their express segments is quite hard.

So, I don't think there's a more specific thread to put this in, but I have a pretty wacky idea:

The BQX streetcar has been proposed, but at this point, it's unclear if it will actually go through. However, the fact remains that more and more riders are going from outer boroughs to other boroughs. Right now, I'm thinking the main way people from southern Brooklyn is to take whatever they take to get to Atlantic Terminal, then from there, get to Astoria on the N via Manhattan. It seems like a good system, right? But there continues to be more riders in Manhattan as well as around, and routes going through Manhattan become increasingly busier. But wait! The G train doesn't go through Manhattan! That's true. What if you could get from Brooklyn to Astoria easily without going through Manhattan?

Maybe there's a way via the G train. As of right now, you could potentially transfer 4 or 5 times to avoid Manhattan. How do you fix this? Basically upgrade the entirety of the G train route. As you all probably know, Brooklyn around hoyt schermerhorn is a mess. It's very hard to get to the G from some other routes. So I don't really have a solution to that (yet). But, here's something interesting. Extend the G from court square up to Astoria. Utilize existing tracks on the IND Crosstown line to the IND Queens Boulevard Line, then stop at Queens Plaza. From there, I believe new infrastructure would be needed to have new tracks emerge from the ground, and connect to 39th avenue and travel the BMT Astoria Line the rest of the way.

This all seems ridiculous even to me. The cost may not justify what we're getting. What do all of you think? Is it better just to go through Manhattan? Is there even demand for something like this? Could there be a feasable rout path for this? Thanks.

There is a Subway Proposals/Ideas thread here: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/48571-department-of-subways-proposalsideas/page-448?do=findComment&comment=901709

That being said, while I agree with the idea of providing better travel options for traveling in-between the outer-boroughs (Queens-Bronx travel comes to mind), extending the (G) as such would be an engineering nightmare given the existing infrastructure.  There are no true layup tracks, and even if you branched them from the existing connecting tracks between Queens Plaza and Court Square (which is where they're laid up now), you'd still have to work around the (E)(F)(M)(R) and underpin the (7)(N)(W).  And even if you were to connect them to the Astoria line, that line is already at capacity.

Nevertheless, (G) service should be improved to reflect the surge in ridership and, yes, the (L) shutdown.  Someone mentioned either on here or on the Facebook group the possibility of restoring Queens Boulevard service once CBTC goes online.

I just watched the subway challenge video. Matthew Ahn, traverses thru the subway to get all of them. I read there are different types like A, B, and C, it was all very interesting. Who's gonna do the 472-station challenge? Not being able to take express trains in their express segments is quite hard.

Probably Mr. Ahn trying to beat his own record... again.

He already did it once after setting the Guinness World Record. Rode all 469 stations and got a shorter time.

At this rate it will be at R35XXX by the end of the century. If the subway survives that long.

Edited by agar io

Couldn't we just launch a ferry (since deblasio is doing it anyways) between Whistone and the Bronx (soundview)? With Shuttle buses to Flushing and the 6 train?