BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Just now, Cait Sith said:

There's nothing that special about these.....practically the same exact spec as the 2015s, just with the new scheme, new interior signs and a new destination sign, that's about it.

I'm also not waking up at the asscrack of dawn to fan these(it's been AM only for now)....I like my sleep, thank you lol.

I'm just saying when the new XD40s came in those got photographed and recorded literally the first day in service. 

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/27/2019 at 5:40 PM, Cait Sith said:

I'll counter your question with a question.

When was the last time you saw a new bus in the old scheme?

I think that answers your question, especially since we haven't looked back since 2015.

5439 was the last LFSA for sure that came in with the old scheme. Same with the first set of XD60’s for (MTA) Bus, but they all got the new scheme some time later.

Has it really been 4 years since the first blue and gold bus? Wow time flies 😮 

Edited by paulrivera

13 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

The artics have it on that part too. They used the bottom space so that they can place an ad on the upper back part

Like the picture on the last page, you can still put a back ad on and keep all of the stickers in the right place.

Edited by Lil 57

1 hour ago, King Transit said:

It was a demo for the Summer of 2018. So, it went back to the plant before this year, another LFS will be #8504 as a successor of that 2018 unit

It’s just like 8090 all over again.

Why are they doing this again? If it’s because of the new driver side windows, wouldn’t it be more logical to have the new windows on the 2018 8504 the first time around rather than making one 8504 with old windows and making another 8504 with the new windows?

14 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Why are they doing this again? If it’s because of the new driver side windows, wouldn’t it be more logical to have the new windows on the 2018 8504 the first time around rather than making one 8504 with old windows and making another 8504 with the new windows?

Sometimes units get rejected after the demo process due to needing some specs changed. Probably happened again with this unit.

34 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I think the older window was a mistake on Nova's part or it was the spec that they were working with at the time. 

The second 8090 came back with a different fire suppression system and slightly newer engine. 

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

It would've been a great idea rather than a waste of at least 55G on one bus to replace as the same unit number. This is maybe/probably because, Nova were still planning how to create the Hi-Vis window

15 minutes ago, King Transit said:

It would've been a great idea rather than a waste of at least 55G on one bus to replace as the same unit number. This is maybe/probably because, Nova were still planning how to create the Hi-Vis window

LMAOO. Ok...

1) They weren't "still planning" on how to create the Hi-Visibility window...it was already on buses ordered from other agencies during that time. They also released the video on the new window before 8504 even arrived for the test months when it was here. 

2) When the first 8504 came, it's either Nova used the same spec from the 2015 models, or MTA didn't notify them of the change prior to when 8504 was built. 

3) That bus does not cost 55g😂. These buses cost $400,000-$600,000 a piece. 

4) Trust me its NOT a waste...Nova will use the original 8504 somewhere else. Either another agency will buy it or it'll be used for future demos for other locations.

Here's a video of the ORIGINAL MTA 8090 after it was bought by another agency. So these buses end up having second lifes after. 

1 hour ago, King Transit said:

Nova always sends a second bus rather than the original pilot...

They turn the originals into demos or sell them. Somewhere there's the original SEPTA 7300 as a demo in addition to the original 8090 that someone else posted.

My goodness there's a lot of shuttle bus G.O's in BK this weekend, (L) , (J)(M) and the (F) all have shuttle buses replacing portions of their routes. Well, on the bright side at least this will force BK depots to run some of their RTSs, as we seen on New Years Day, when there isn't shuttle bus G.O's BK has enough buses to make service without using the RTS's in masses on weekends. Tomorrow the weather will be too nice to sit inside a bus all day, maybe Sunday I'll RTS hunt..

4 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

My goodness there's a lot of shuttle bus G.O's in BK this weekend, (L) , (J)(M) and the (F) all have shuttle buses replacing portions of their routes. Well, on the bright side at least this will force BK depots to run some of their RTSs, as we seen on New Years Day, when there isn't shuttle bus G.O's BK has enough buses to make service without using the RTS's in masses on weekends. Tomorrow the weather will be too nice to sit inside a bus all day, maybe Sunday I'll RTS hunt..

What’s the G.O for the (L)? Canarsie to Broadway-East New York or Williamsburg to Broadway-East New York?  

On 3/28/2019 at 9:20 PM, trainfan22 said:

KB was the first depot to operate D60HF, and it way its looking, they will be the last depot to operate the D60HF.

That's pretty cool.

On 3/28/2019 at 9:46 PM, Around the Horn said:

It would be really cool if it's last run was on the Bx1. That would really bring things full circle from the first run with 1001 in 1996.

It's sad how the last remaining D60HFs from Gun Hill, West Farms, and Tuskegee Airmen were all sent to scrap just this week. What's really crazy is that they all got scrapped only a day after their last run.

I really hope that today won't be the last for the D60HFs. In fact, they're my third-favorite bus, only being beaten by the Orion Vs and RTS in my opinion. If the D60s are still around by next week, I'm definitely gonna get one last ride on it as a somber farewell to arguably one of the best articulated buses in the city... :( 

56 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

It's sad how the last remaining D60HFs from Gun Hill, West Farms, and Tuskegee Airmen were all sent to scrap just this week. What's really crazy is that they all got scrapped only a day after their last run.

I really hope that today won't be the last for the D60HFs. In fact, they're my third-favorite bus, only being beaten by the Orion Vs and RTS in my opinion. If the D60s are still around by next week, I'm definitely gonna get one last ride on it as a somber farewell to arguably one of the best articulated buses in the city... :( 

According to the scrap thread today is the last day for the D60s.

Those are my top three buses as well. When I started fanning in the mid to late 2000s those buses had a heavy presence in the city,  DD50 was the dominant engine of the local fleet, good ol days.

On 3/27/2019 at 1:08 PM, Future ENY OP said:

Appreciate the clarification. I was always under the impression that those SBS44’s turn to SBS46 once they complete at WBP with a XD40. So my guess is that the XD40’s do return back as SBS44’s and not an interline for the 46. 

No problem...Basically those bus spotted on the sb44+ were due to bus shortage at the time the operator needed to pull out of the depot to start service. You will also see on Saturdays the SB46+ bus is being used on the B41 for a short trip from Kingsplaza to Empire BLVD as an extra service needed due to short services of the B41 returning to KP.

6 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Are they just scrapping these D60s because of politics or because they're breaking down to the point of too expensive / not worth the fix? 

I always thought D60d were well maintained buses...They're also 4-5 years younger than some of the RTS getting retired. 

Some of these D60s can't go to the storage fleet? 

Yea the numbers dwindled really fast and I wouldn't be surprised if it had to do with politics like what happened with the RTS in Brklyn. Usually, the fleet numbers stick around till like 1 or 2. Not the whole fleet gone unless they found a major mechanical problem with them.  There are still a few around at KB tho. 127 runs pretty good still. GH already sending LFSA's to KB to help with the retirement.  

Was on a OG Hybrid today that suddenly couldn't move, bus was going really slow until it came to a stop. bus would move a couple of inches but it really couldn't get going, driver shut the bus off, restarted and the bus was fine after that. Wonder what the issue was.

A while back I was on a bus which was also an OG Hybrid, driver couldn't move the bus cause of something to do with compression, IIRC it was low and had to build up again. Eventually the bus got moving again.