BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

4 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Seems like Castleton is starting to use MCIs again on Saturdays. 2210 is on the SIM33C as of this post. A similar thing happened last Saturday. Guess they have a Prevost shortage?

Just remember 2 things.

A) Driver preference

B) Bus availability per yard dispatcher. 

(I know @SevenEleven, @EastFlatbushLarry Can confirm this) 

C) I don’t think it’s a prevost shortage. Most of the newer prevost are in Staten Island. 

Edited by Future ENY OP

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Just remember 2 things.

A) Driver preference

B) Bus availability per yard dispatcher. 

(I know @SevenEleven, @EastFlatbushLarry Can confirm this) 

C) I don’t think it’s a prevost shortage. Most of the newer prevost are in Staten Island. 

Yeah, 29 Prevosts seems like enough for weekend service. Usually during the weekends SI prefers the newer buses so it's not the usual. Good to see that the MCIs are being used on the weekends though.

4 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

The CNG Order was never botched, they were just simply retired once their expiration date on their tanks had been met. If this were about botching buses, then where the hell would our replacements be?

The retired fleet is not the problem is was no mystery that WF needs buses. It’s the same story they could not have foreseen the growth which is BS. Byford need to really change the lazy culture that runs rampant in MTA management.

39 minutes ago, Just New York said:

The retired fleet is not the problem is was no mystery that WF needs buses. It’s the same story they could not have foreseen the growth which is BS. Byford need to really change the lazy culture that runs rampant in MTA management.

....What growth are you talking about....?

None of this is making any sense.

Also, the CNG order was not a botched order, the CNGs that came retired the ones that already had tanks expiring and were ready for retirement. At the time of the CNG orders, the buses that were in service were NOT YET READY for retirement.

Edited by Cait Sith

49 minutes ago, Just New York said:

So you go ahead and predict ridership in all five boroughs for us then. Maybe even try to outdo Byford and make him very proud of you.

2 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

Another day... another entitled Staten Islander who parks in the middle of a bus lane on Hylan... oh, and one of the S79's buses had a broken farebox

The Hylan bus lanes are rush hours only so the SI'er can park there.

With the farebox thing, I've seen local buses run with broken fareboxes but never an express bus. Guess because express buses are more expensive?

25 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

With the farebox thing, I've seen local buses run with broken fareboxes but never an express bus. Guess because express buses are more expensive?

$2.75 vs $6.50. that's why express fareboxes are not damaged so often.

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

My bad, I specifically meant to say in front of a bus stop (which happens to be next to a bus lane). The B/O got angry and kept beeping but the driver wouldn't listen.

Edited by Bay Ridge Express

3 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

I've had CP exp buses with busted fareboxes from time to time. Doesn't save me anything since I use the unlimited LOL

On 4/13/2019 at 6:49 PM, MysteriousBtrain said:

So you go ahead and predict ridership in all five boroughs for us then. Maybe even try to outdo Byford and make him very proud of you.

That what farebox collections, Ride survey other methods are used for. What you do with that knowledge make all the difference, chance given I feel I would do extremely well.

2 hours ago, Just New York said:

That what farebox collections, Ride survey other methods are used for. What you do with that knowledge make all the difference, chance given I feel I would do extremely well.

I'm not sure how that ties in to your original, inaccurate point about CNG buses at West Farms, though....

22 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

Any idea if 2848 got stickers from Spring Creek? My dumbass forgot to check if it got them today -facepalm- .

I get that those stickers don't mean that much but I was just curious.

They still have BP stickers even though it's out of SC for now. 

21 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

The B91/92 route is up on Google maps. Below is a map I compromised for the proposed routes of the B91/92:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1kkqLqgpWr4j4ZiSaHgXhX5Z8-qhw6KnY&usp=sharing

For the B92, one would think it would head south on Union Avenue, and then head up Broadway, connecting to the (J)(M) at Hewes Street (stopping at the B46 bus stop). Of course, we don't know the exact routing yet, but IDK if they would really separate an extra stop just for the B92.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Man the TA should assign a small batch of Hybrids to Spring Creek instead keep having to loan them buses, give them like 5 or 6 2005 Orions and call it a day. 

Or just use the remaining 7800 CNGs to SC till the tanks expire but that idea may be invalid. 

10 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Or just use the remaining 7800 CNGs to SC till the tanks expire but that idea may be invalid. 

Maybe a year ago, but at this point, if they were sent to SC, they would still retire in a couple of months. Might as well give SC buses that will be in service longer.