New York MTA Buy 200 Ex-TTC Orion VII Diesels

The Real

I have a question: are all 200 going to be based out of GA (or wherever) or are they going to be spread around because remember: we are getting 600+ buses from the Option order of XD's and LFS's.

For anyone wondering, the story behind these buses is that we were supposed to keep them in regular service for the full 18 year lifespan, but a letter from the Ontario Ministry of The Environment late last year said that these buses don't meet modern day emissions regulations, and the TTC moved to replace them.

The fact that they're going to be used after retirement elsewhere kind of defeats the whole point but whatever :rolleyes:

Worth noting that I believe these buses are meant to be retired by TTC well before the 2019 shutdown. We'll see how long the transition takes, but there could also be service before then. 

These buses were built in 2003-2004, so they'd be reaching their 18 year lifespan in 2021-2022. If you guys leave them out of service until the (L) shutdown, you could probably get some use out of them, still.

And minimize environmental damage too.

I have a question: are all 200 going to be based out of GA (or wherever) or are they going to be spread around because remember: we are getting 600+ buses from the Option order of XD's and LFS's.

They will most likely split everywhere. No way a single depot can hold their own fleet, plus 200 more refugees

They will most likely split everywhere. No way a single depot can hold their own fleet, plus 200 more refugees

I mean if the MTA does some re arranging it might be possible 

Here's a horrible example but let's say: CS rent's the parking lot next to the depot and take up routes Q54, Q55, Q58, Q59, B24, B32, & B62. Then the B38, B52, and B58, & B60 we're moved to Fresh Pond, it could be to fit those buses in Grand. 

But I'm just making a horrible example to get the point across.

I mean if the MTA does some re arranging it might be possible 

Here's a horrible example but let's say: CS rent's the parking lot next to the depot and take up routes Q54, Q55, Q58, Q59, B24, B32, & B62. Then the B38, B52, and B58, & B60 we're moved to Fresh Pond, it could be to fit those buses in Grand. 

But I'm just making a horrible example to get the point across.

With the exception of the Q58 & Q59, those would be some long deadheads, lol. Theoretically given that scenario, the Q54, Q55 could go to Jamaica or QV, the B32 & B24 could stay at GA (while the B57 & B62 goes to JG).

Obviously, some other JG and Brooklyn routes would have to get reshuffled as well.

I heard from a driver at GA that there are talks going around that the old Crosstown Depot in Greenpoint would re-open exclusively for the L Shuttle but I doubt that would happen. Who owns the area now anyway?

He was referring that the MTA Bus Orion hybrids were supposed to be converted to diesel units a few years ago until the plans were scrapped.

I see.

Same figure as the MTABC's O7 3563. What happened to the rest of that fleet that was supposed to be converted from Hybrid to Diesel? TTC's O7s would be the one that the MTA should've purchased from the get go

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

The TTC's Orions weren't available at the time that the idea was conceived. In fact, most of the ones that are coming to New York are still in regular service, and won't be canned until later in the year.

Ah ok, what would be the chances that they would put some TA buses in there for the shuttle?

That would be a good idea, but when the Williamsburg Br. was shutdown, all the extra buses (old 3000's RTS's that would have been retired, and assigned to Fresh Pond) were basically kept at the Plaza.

Ah ok, what would be the chances that they would put some TA buses in there for the shuttle?

They're buying 14 year old buses? (Past their normal lifespan). Why don't they just do a big overhaul of some of our VII's?

The MTA finally got the Orion VII diesels they always wanted 

Honestly if they're only going to be used for subway shuttle services, they might as well. Maybe slap SUBWAY SHUTTLE on it as well.

I just wonder, if these are for the L, what shuttles will they be on? Last I heard, the one shuttle that's been on the table is a shuttle between Bedford Avenue & Delancey Street.

That's just the thing. There are no concrete plans for anything, we just need 200 buses from somewhere buy the time the L goes off line. Both Nova and New Flyer have solid deliveries for us through 2018. They can't risk an option order for 2019, because if 1 pilot fails, they cannot delay closing the subway line because we don't have buses yet.

So even if there are issues that make this deal fall through because the eco geeks are pissed that they are "200 old used diesel buses." Someone is going to have to come up with money for 200 new CNG's or hybrids, or stop whining and use these 200 dirt cheap buses that are ONLY going to be here temporarily. With all the orders we have in the works, and all the buses we have now, something has to shake immediately.

Archived