BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

12 hours ago, brakethrow said:

Unreliable ass bus service ass you already know (just venting). The amount of times I've seen three B25s come and go before a B12 while waiting at Alabama during rush hour is ridiculous. 20+ min wait times at that stop during rush hour was the norm.

There have been plenty of times I up & left the terminal (to hoof it out to the (L) to get to the B35) because the B12 took too long to arrive.... The amount of B25's that would arrive in the meantime, made it that much more insulting/aggravating..... Everytime a Manhattan bound (J) passes by overhead, that only meant/means that much more people being added to the mix of the dozens of passengers that are already waiting for the B12.... There's also been a few times where I got so fed up with waiting for the B12 (especially with seeing no EB bus arriving at Alabama, to terminate, on top of it) where I simply said to myself, f*** it & took the B25 to the B46 to get home..... Most B25's I've ever seen in a row arrive before a B12 did was 6

I used to get a kick out of seeing at least 50 something odd people waiting for the B12, a B25 pulls up - and literally NO ONE embarks on it.

3 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

It's deceiving...the hospitals have cancelled all outpatient, elective, and non-emergency appts so many of the public-facing parts of the hospitals look like ghost towns. The "action" is very much happening in the ICUs and other floors hidden away from the public eye. 

....which makes you question the need for any deception to begin with.

1 hour ago, aemoreira81 said:

You think that's bad? The Q56 passes in FRONT of them and that route is horribly dispatched. Before all of these issues, it was not unusual to have a 30-35-minute gap.

The speculation here is that the B12 suffers from a lack of dispatching.....

While I don't disagree with the actual statements being made, all you're really conveying in regards to the Q56 is that some level of dispatching is there, but inadequate... Whether the route passes in front of them or not, I personally don't see the point in wanting to make some competition out of it.

Edited by B35 via Church

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

"the public-facing parts of the hospitals look(ing) like ghost towns"

Why is there a need to do any of that....

The idea is to keep as few people as possible coming into all of the hospitals right now to prevent the spread of covid, as hospitals are the most likely place someone would encounter covid. Most non-urgent visits are conducted by telehealth/videochat services, phone sessions, or are simply being pushed off if they are routine or non-critical. It is not meant to deceive anyone, it is simply the effect of minimizing the number of bodies entering the hospital right now. This is all fully in line with CDC recommendations and best-practices at the moment

9 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Whoops, I was thinking of the signs on 72nd when I wrote that.

The MTA numbers I had were 10ft O5/RTS, 11 ft D60HF, 11'5 MCI cruiser...that's probably rounded right?

on the inside of most units, there's usually a placard with the height of the vehicle displayed, so yes, those are approximate. 

18 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

The idea is to keep as few people as possible coming into all of the hospitals right now to prevent the spread of covid, as hospitals are the most likely place someone would encounter covid. Most non-urgent visits are conducted by telehealth/videochat services, phone sessions, or are simply being pushed off if they are routine or non-critical. It is not meant to deceive anyone, it is simply the effect of minimizing the number of bodies entering the hospital right now. This is all fully in line with CDC recommendations and best-practices at the moment

My issue isn't with the CDC & and by no means should it have taken this current publicization of coronavirus specifically, to come up with a concerted effort to keep as many people from frequenting the insides of hospitals, for the sake of not just not having them get infected with (or potentially spread) a coronavirus, but any class of virus....

Your explanation is plausible, but at the same time, I would devise a plan to try to minimize the amount of people accessing these hospitals (across the epicenter that NYC's supposed to be) too, if I wanted to decrease my chances of having some random person roaming around recording how hectic things aren't, behind the scenes.... Especially to the tune that the government & the news media would have the general public believe.

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

My issue isn't with the CDC & and by no means should it have taken this current publicization of coronavirus specifically, to come up with a concerted effort to keep as many people from frequenting the insides of hospitals, for the sake of not just not having them get infected with (or potentially spread) a coronavirus, but any class of virus....

Your explanation is plausible, but at the same time, I would devise a plan to try to minimize the amount of people accessing these hospitals (across the epicenter that NYC's supposed to be) too, if I wanted to decrease my chances of having some random person roaming around recording how hectic things aren't, behind the scenes.... Especially to the tune that the government & the news media would have the general public believe.

My job has me supervising the installation of complex medical equipment (including ventilators) In various hospitals in the city and Queens, Often in ICUs and critical care areas. so I can tell you from personal experience, it really is as bad As they say. Bed after bed after bed of people basically dying or coming close to it, all behind plastic sheeting and closed doors so their families can’t even touch them. It is really depressing to see. The overall numbers may not be as bad as predicted, but when we are talking about units with 30 beds total, it is just a flood of people. Whole floors of the hospitals are converted to hold another 30 or 40 patients on vents, but it is barely enough. If some yokel wanted to walk around taking photos or something to prove it isn’t so bad, they will rightfully get covid themselves. 

But I don’t want to derail this thread too much. Just wanted to give an eyewitness perspective on it. 

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

My job has me supervising the installation of complex medical equipment (including ventilators) In various hospitals in the city and Queens, Often in ICUs and critical care areas. so I can tell you from personal experience, it really is as bad As they say. Bed after bed after bed of people basically dying or coming close to it, all behind plastic sheeting and closed doors so their families can’t even touch them. It is really depressing to see. The overall numbers may not be as bad as predicted, but when we are talking about units with 30 beds total, it is just a flood of people. Whole floors of the hospitals are converted to hold another 30 or 40 patients on vents, but it is barely enough. If some yokel wanted to walk around taking photos or something to prove it isn’t so bad, they will rightfully get covid themselves. 

But I don’t want to derail this thread too much. Just wanted to give an eyewitness perspective on it. 

For all I care, that same person going around recording shit could get arrested on top of it & I wouldn't wince.... Regardless, being out of work due to this shit, is only fuel to the fire that fuels my ire.... While I don't proclaim to know what's going on behind the scenes, it is a slap in the face to see all these hospitals appear to be dead as f*** from an outsider's POV....

But yeah, I won't mar, or derail the thread any further with this either....

On 4/10/2020 at 7:01 AM, NBTA said:

Is it safe to say that the M100 got converted into an artic route silently? It'll be cool if they keep it like that past the pandemic.

I'm inclined to agree (on the cool-factor & all), but if they did though, it would be short-lived.... Remember, they plan on truncating the thing to 125th/Amsterdam.....

On 4/10/2020 at 7:04 AM, Trainmaster5 said:

Maybe those crazy things are in the poster’s head? As far as masks and toilet paper go they’ve been in short supply everywhere on Long Island from day one.

Just the other day, I watched one of pineyboy's videos, where he was standing outside on a line to enter some supermarket out in LI (think it was in Plainview).... His bit**ing about Gov. Murphy out in Jersey shutting down parks & what not, is one the few things I've been able to CTFU about lately.... Along with:

I am cOrNHoLio... I need TP for my bung-hooole :lol::lol:

Damn, I miss Beavis & butthead.

On 4/10/2020 at 11:51 AM, aemoreira81 said:

A pole got uprooted and fell on the bus. The bus body appears to be okay, minus a minor dent, but the force shook the bus enough to cause the windshield to fall off the bus.

We really gotta stop doing this in this community.

On 4/10/2020 at 10:50 PM, EastFlatbushLarry said:

i agree with some of your point, and Lord have mercy, summer 2009 I line trained on the B12 and only got city line trips.. never had a depot short-sign (at the time) that thing carried air along Liberty. absolutely useless & a waste of resources... especially if you were late and didn't get adjusted. the 12 was a solid line once upon a time (when it shared East NY Avenue with the 40) and depending on the crew of operators on that line, it currently could/should be. if you get a group of operators (male or female) who are only there for run pay, and you're the only one who came to actually work, you will have a miserable tour (same goes for the B25)

as far as the redesign goes, unfortunately, i can easily see them straightening out the 12 along empire blvd to flatbush avenue. 

I wasn't claiming that it's a solid line due to run pay, or anything else you op's have to deal with/worry about.... I was speaking from the perspective that it's a heavily utilized route for the 4 miles or so it travels.... I don't have any stats in front of me, but to me it's Brooklyn's version of the Bx35 (I think it's shorter, not sure) in terms of "feel"....

But yeah, I'm not holding my breath for the B12 to remain unscathed in the redesign either....

34 minutes ago, NBTA said:

The Bronx is now housing loans from Staten Island. 2 3Gs are in the Bronx, as well as several 81 and 87XXs from Staten island.

To your point. Very much valid. I saw a conga line of Castelton buses up the Triborough Br to The Bronx yesterday and some returning back to Staten Island via the BQE.  

45 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

So the m100 is now an artic route, and the bx15 is a standard 40-foot?

Covid-19 makes for weird fleets!

3 hours ago, NBTA said:

The Bronx is now housing loans from Staten Island. 2 3Gs are in the Bronx, as well as several 81 and 87XXs from Staten island.

2 hours ago, Snorunts said:

Which 2011s?

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

To your point. Very much valid. I saw a conga line of Castelton buses up the Triborough Br to The Bronx yesterday and some returning back to Staten Island via the BQE.  

1 hour ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

7087 and 7078 so far, they're only on the Bx15, but more could pop up on other routes.

1 hour ago, OrionVIIonM79 said:

#8705 is also on the bx15

These aren't loans. It's extra service being provided with Staten Island operators. Same with the buses from College Point that were up there yesterday. 

36 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

These aren't loans. It's extra service being provided with Staten Island operators. Same with the buses from College Point that were up there yesterday. 

Weird-ass fleet in the Bronx rn, damn. Reminds me of when Yukon covered Tuskegee for a weekday snowstorm a few years back. They send you up there?

3 minutes ago, Blitz said:

Will the MTA ever change the color of the wheels? With the current livery of the buses, the white wheels look out of place

Keep thinking that too. I doubt it, since white is cheap, but yeah they don't fit and they needlessly show dirt without even matching. 

1 hour ago, Blitz said:

Will the MTA ever change the color of the wheels? With the current livery of the buses, the white wheels look out of place

I hope not. That'll just throw off the look entirely imo.

---------------------

Been seeing a lot of fans out there fanning lately. If you're out there fanning, be smart, be safe, and don't act like an ass in public.