BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

I always wondered this when a depot gets a loan bus from another depot does the depot that got the loan drive that bus or does the depot that sent out that loan drive it?

What do you mean? Like who transports the bus between the depots? Whichever depot the bus belongs to supplies the operator for the move both ways. 

1 minute ago, SevenEleven said:

What do you mean? Like who transports the bus between the depots? Whichever depot the bus belongs to supplies the operator for the move both ways. 

No what I meant to say was who drives the loan bus in a route is it the drivers at the depot or is it the drivers from the other depot

6 hours ago, MHV184 said:

No what I meant to say was who drives the loan bus in a route is it the drivers at the depot or is it the drivers from the other depot

Operators from the depot the bus is loaned to generally drive the bus (you loan buses, not B/Os), but there are rare circumstances where an extra run from a different depot will mean a driver from elsewhere covers it. IIRC this has happened with some of the CNG loans, which have pulled out of foreign depots to cover the lines. 

On 4/21/2018 at 6:46 PM, MysteriousBtrain said:

Now the former LFSA from SBS are with the update. This is going by fast.

5303 on the Bx2 also has the Hanover readout for the Luminator Spectrum; this particular version has a clear color of the destination sign as yellow.

Edited by 4 via Mosholu

5312 has a front destination sign bug where the front keeps blinking Bx12 +SELECT BUS, compared to the side sign which says Bx12 BAY PLAZA CO OP CITY in addition to +SELECT BUS.

Besides that, I got on a Nova Bus Articulated with the blue, gold, and light blue color for +Select Bus Service on a Bx12 +Select, numbered 5479. The bus itself was crowded; most passengers got off at White Plains Road before I got off at the Esplanade near Williamsbridge Road to wait for the Bx8 to take me to Boston Road. I think there are three large STOP REQUESTED boards.  Its an improvement over the 5770-5986 and 5253-5363 Nova LFS Articulated buses that only had two small STOP REQUESTED boards.

The bus has an exterior design change from previous orders, and the front destination sign blinks at a different rate from the side destination sign and the route sign; these two seem to change at the same rate. I seem to like how the outside of the bus was designed.

Have a few questions with why some routes make many turns in certain areas and why they have odd routes that seem pointless. Feel free to criticize as I am thinking of this merely from a operational streamlining standpoint and not ridership.

1. Why does the M20 have to turn into BPC? West Street isn't that far and the bus can run there. 

2. Why does the M106 use the 96th Street Transverse when you could have it run via Central Park North and then 106th vs it being on 106th for the East Side only?

3. Why does the M104 have the odd northern terminal routing?

4. Why must the M11, M12, M14A and M14D have complex turn-arounds near 14th St? The M11 could loop around using 14th, M12 could loop back north on 15th rather than go to that triangle, and the M14s can loop using 9th and 10th Avs and 16th Street.

Edited by R68OnBroadway
added numbers

1 hour ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Have a few questions with why some routes make many turns in certain areas and why they have odd routes that seem pointless. Feel free to criticize as I am thinking of this merely from a operational streamlining standpoint and not ridership.

1. Why does the M20 have to turn into BPC? West Street isn't that far and the bus can run there. 

2. Why does the M106 use the 96th Street Transverse when you could have it run via Central Park North and then 106th vs it being on 106th for the East Side only?

3. Why does the M104 have the odd northern terminal routing?

4. Why must the M11, M12, M14A and M14D have complex turn-arounds near 14th St? The M11 could loop around using 14th, M12 could loop back north on 15th rather than go to that triangle, and the M14s can loop using 9th and 10th Avs and 16th Street.

1. West Street is difficult for pedestrians to cross to travel to/from northbound buses, and also, installing bus stops would block traffic (which arguably happens on other streets throughout the city. For example, Forest Avenue and Victory Blvd . One advantage actually is that the buses don't have to merge back into traffic). Also, they figure that anybody in a hurry would already be on the (1) train.

2. 110th Street already has 3 other routes on it, and (I may be wrong) but I believe the western part of 96th Street is busier than the western part of 110th Street.

3. It used to be based out of the Amsterdam Depot. Me personally, I think it should run down Convent and end at the 145th Street IND station.

4. The M14D already has a relatively simple turnaround on the western end. I agree with you that it's not necessary for Abingdon Square routes (M11, M12, M14A) to run directly to Abingdon Square. (Me personally, I think the M104 should be extended to 14th Street, and the M12 should run straight across 14th Street and up 7th/8th Avenue to reach South Ferry, allowing the M20 to be eliminated).

Edited by checkmatechamp13

2 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

1. West Street is difficult for pedestrians to cross to travel to/from northbound buses, and also, installing bus stops would block traffic (which arguably happens on other streets throughout the city. For example, Forest Avenue and Victory Blvd . One advantage actually is that the buses don't have to merge back into traffic). Also, they figure that anybody in a hurry would already be on the (1) train.

2. 110th Street already has 3 other routes on it, and (I may be wrong) but I believe the western part of 96th Street is busier than the western part of 110th Street.

1. Also, there is no feasible way to install bus stops southbound. The further south in Lower Manhattan you go, West Street becomes more of a highway (it turns into what would eventually become the FDR anyway), so at a certain point, you wouldn't be able to use local streets anymore if you're still on West Street.

2. Not only that, but on the East Side, changing the M106 to run to 110 Street severs the connection to Mount Sinai. Anyone needing the bus to Mount Sinai is SOL. 106 Street on the west side doesn't really need a third bus serving the area. People who live on 106 Street just don't use the buses like that at all. 

10 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

1] Safety issues....

2] The original intent was never to have the M106 be a "true" 106th crosstown; it was to provide West 96th w/ supplemental service....

11 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Why must the M11, M12, M14A and M14D have complex turn-arounds near 14th St? The M11 could loop around using 14th, M12 could loop back north on 15th rather than go to that triangle, and the M14s can loop using 9th and 10th Avs and 16th Street.

8 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The M14D already has a relatively simple turnaround on the western end. I agree with you that it's not necessary for Abingdon Square routes (M11, M12, M14A) to run directly to Abingdon Square.....

Nah, I wouldn't cut the M11 back to 14th itself..... If the street grid feasibly allowed for it, I'd extend it to Christopher.... Most people that utilize the route at Abingdon sq. itself are people coming from the south..... Those folks tend to patronize the M11 over the M20 anyway.... If there's to be any question of necessity, it should be of the route not running south enough, not that it runs too far south....

The M14a IMO is fine at Abingdon sq. & there isn't much of a point to ending it that close to the M14d in that area just north of 14th, if it isn't going to end with it (which aint happening due to space issues).... Hell, it's less of a PITA to get back to 14th from Abingdon than it is from 18th/west..... Running the 14a to Abingdon makes it more attractive for the residents surrounding the area.... If you're a (able-bodied) West Village resident, it beats the hell out of waiting for the M20 to get to 14th - shit, walking to Abingdon for the M14a beats waiting for the M20 to get to 14th for the M14a/d..... Of course, the (1) trumps both options, which is why it is king down there..... There's many things I don't miss about working in the 'village & bus service (freq. wise) in the area is definitely one of them.....

The M12 in its entirety to me seemed like a rush job.... I have several qualms about the route & yes, its terminal scenario on the southern end of the route, is one of them.....

9 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

.....(I may be wrong) but I believe the western part of 96th Street is busier than the western part of 110th Street.

Subway-wise, it's no contest... Street level-wise though, it's something to ponder... I'd give the edge to W. 96th being busier than W. 110th.....

6 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

1. Also, there is no feasible way to install bus stops southbound. The further south in Lower Manhattan you go, West Street becomes more of a highway (it turns into what would eventually become the FDR anyway), so at a certain point, you wouldn't be able to use local streets anymore if you're still on West Street.

2. Not only that, but on the East Side, changing the M106 to run to 110 Street severs the connection to Mount Sinai. Anyone needing the bus to Mount Sinai is SOL. 106 Street on the west side doesn't really need a third bus serving the area. People who live on 106 Street just don't use the buses like that at all. 

1] ...is the problem hindering a "West street route"...

2]  Good point.

You've been on a roll lately with these posts of yours.

Today I seen three RTS parked in the employee parking lot of Flatbush Depot at Ave N and Utica, first time I ever seen buses parked in that lot. The lot was filled with cars and the way the RTSs were parked it seemed like getting them out of that lot would have hard if they were needed for service during rush hour. I wonder if those buses are defective and the maintenance people at Flatbush put those three buses on the backburner, or awaiting to be moved to ECH Scrap. 

19 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Today I seen three RTS parked in the employee parking lot of Flatbush Depot at Ave N and Utica, first time I ever seen buses parked in that lot. The lot was filled with cars and the way the RTSs were parked it seemed like getting them out of that lot would have hard if they were needed for service during rush hour. I wonder if those buses are defective and the maintenance people at Flatbush put those three buses on the backburner, or awaiting to be moved to ECH Scrap. 

2 of those RTS's have been in the back lot since the end of March

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

The new scheme buses are finally getting ads. 5411 has them in the rear.

FINALLY!!!!!!!! These buses are getting ads.

A new set of Vision Zero ads just came out yesterday.  All divisions throughout the city will get a plethora of those ads on the rear of buses.

Flatbush and Fresh Pond buses have already replacing their most oldest rear ads for the Vision Zero ads.  Hopefully soon the (MTA) can possibly go back to rear wraps with the RTS and NG's.

Edited by Future ENY OP

Last year, I met a fantastic Bx41 SBS operator. He was always on time and would sometimes allow me to board at a non-bus stop (this was @530am after all). 12 minutes to the Hub compared to the mess of a Bx15 LTD, which is 8 minutes longer. I never saw him again since last June and all I know is that he is at another route.

1 minute ago, IRT Bronx Express said:

Last year, I met a fantastic Bx41 SBS operator. He was always on time and would sometimes allow me to board at a non-bus stop (this was @530am after all). 12 minutes to the Hub compared to the mess of a Bx15 LTD, which is 8 minutes longer. I never saw him again since last June and all I know is that he is at another route.

The good ones never stay around! 

I rode the BX41 earlier today from the first stop at the Hub to Fordam Rd, not ONE BX41 SBS passes us, therefore my 41 local got hammered and was filled to capacity for a good portion of the trip. When I got off at Fordam Rd there was an SBS 41 right behind us.

BTW those 4700 XD60s are raggedy as hell, I really those hope buses don't end up in BK, their interiors look much older than the 4800s at UP & ENY, even though the 4800s are the older buses. The glass by the second rear door had scratchetti on it smh. The BX can keep them shyts. BK bus riders have it good in terms of how well maintained the buses are, yeah the service probably sucks but the buses themselves are in great shape, even the RTS's aren't that bad for 19-20 old buses. 

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

I rode the BX41 earlier today from the first stop at the Hub to Fordam Rd, not ONE BX41 SBS passes us, therefore my 41 local got hammered and was filled to capacity for a good portion of the trip. When I got off at Fordam Rd there was an SBS 41 right behind us.

BTW those 4700 XD60s are raggedy as hell, I really those hope buses don't end up in BK, their interiors look much older than the 4800s at UP & ENY, even though the 4800s are the older buses. The glass by the second rear door had scratchetti on it smh. The BX can keep them shyts. BK bus riders have it good in terms of how well maintained the buses are, yeah the service probably sucks but the buses themselves are in great shape, even the RTS's aren't that bad for 19-20 old buses. 

To be honest here, those 4700's need some good time up in the lifts and get some Corona Yard style cleaning, down to the screws of the bus. Gun Hill's Buses are so f*cking disgusting. If it weren't for school I would have called Gun Hill Depot out to Byford's attention on the #AskNYCT Chat.

7 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

To be honest here, those 4700's need some good time up in the lifts and get some Corona Yard style cleaning, down to the screws of the bus. Gun Hill's Buses are so f*cking disgusting. If it weren't for school I would have called Gun Hill Depot out to Byford's attention on the #AskNYCT Chat.

How about tweeting him about the issue and have him personally make a trip to that filthy depot. Since that depot is the real step child of the (MTA). Since they get the new of everything and ship all the other filth to the Brooklyn Division. 

Honestly, GH and KB could keep those 47xx buses right there in the Bronx. Sending those anywhere else will show that the maintenance is HORRIBLE. 

Edited by Future ENY OP