SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

5 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Just a question for the forum posters. Does anyone know the folks who run subway dot org? I usually check out the old schedules but a friend pointed out that some context has been rearranged.  Specifically the line by line station descriptions. I was asked to check out the IRT Lenox line and noticed the description of the 135th Street station. Did it always describe the station as a 2 track station?  It clearly has/had 3 tracks . Did something happen to the third track ? Does anyone know how to contact the people in charge and have the information corrected?  Maybe a poster on this site can help?  Thanks. Carry on. 

Contact David Pirmann.

https://www.nycsubway.org/cgi-bin/feedback

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much work would be needed to turn City Hall lower into a functional terminal? I know the platforms are only 480 ft, but the crossover is set back (you would only use the island platform as 3 tracks is overkill). 

Also, how many trains could you turn there? (You would probably only turn 6-8 though if you had 30 TPH on Broadway local.)

There's 2 R46s that were on the (C) today. Last week, it's regular R32 and 179 8-cars. Pardon me if repeated, Was the full 8-car train part of the (L) train slowdown adding more passengers to the train?

Also, seems that TA has another way to expose farebeaters: into their wall of shame

https://nypost.com/2019/06/24/mta-board-member-wants-to-publicly-shame-fare-beaters/?utm_source=facebook_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site+buttons&utm_campaign=site+buttons&fbclid=IwAR2rm-UMd-ONyzxIdHuqxkZZR7QJ8ZabS-p1WbSuwSk6Y_jVmFJfNCLrsb4

Edited by Calvin

There's a great SubChat post here (http://www.subchat.com/readflat.asp?Id=1516664) with some old images of R46s during their delivery and early stages of their career

Some of my personal favorites:

1HegUq5D_o.jpg

"At Ditmas Ave. on the :F: line. (July 1979)"

lSJ7c1dL_o.jpg

"Not a reroute, but a "dead head" move to Coney Island yard. Location is Avenue H on the Brighton Line. (July 1979)"

yiDlBAQb_o.jpg

"Ready for their journey to Coney Island yard, up pops a put-in of R-32's on the :RR:.
Stored on the lower level 9th Ave for the PM rush hour. (July 1978)"

DwYeZ98p_o.jpg

"Delivery by LIRR Bay Ridge Br, Parkville Jct and McDonald Ave to Coney Island.
I passed by on the (F) yesterday and it seems an apartment building is going up on or near Parkville Jct.
Is that a red Plymouth Valiant or Dodge Dart ? (April 23, 1975)"

13 hours ago, Calvin said:

There's 2 R46s that were on the (C) today. Last week, it's regular R32 and 179 8-cars. Pardon me if repeated, Was the full 8-car train part of the (L) train slowdown adding more passengers to the train?

Also, seems that TA has another way to expose farebeaters: into their wall of shame

https://nypost.com/2019/06/24/mta-board-member-wants-to-publicly-shame-fare-beaters/?utm_source=facebook_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site+buttons&utm_campaign=site+buttons&fbclid=IwAR2rm-UMd-ONyzxIdHuqxkZZR7QJ8ZabS-p1WbSuwSk6Y_jVmFJfNCLrsb4

I don’t think that’s really gonna do anything to stop it 

3 minutes ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

Bad news to share. I'm honestly praying that this is just a rumor and nothing more. They know well that everybody loves that place. 

This is devastating information to hear, hopefully this plan will be more of a pesky rumor. And much less reality, since the museum is really iconic of the modern MTA

1 hour ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

This is devastating information to hear, hopefully this plan will be more of a pesky rumor. And much less reality, since the museum is really iconic of the modern MTA

I think cutting off the museum would probably be an idea not even Cuomo would go for considering the uproar from not only MTA employees and railfanners, but also preservationists and maybe even parents who often take their children there.

3 hours ago, GreatOne2k said:

Actually the (L) will be running its regular weekend schedule according to this update.

https://new.mta.info/pride2019

And the (M) will only run to Essex Street instead of 96th Street-2nd Avenue.

Edited by Daniel The Cool

14 hours ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

Bad news to share. I'm honestly praying that this is just a rumor and nothing more. They know well that everybody loves that place. 

Honestly, even if this is true Cuomo would face severe opposition from the MTA and general public. Not to mention the amount of dedicated work and effort that goes in to preserving stuff...

8 hours ago, VIP said:

8 cars

Well they mind as well just send it to 96st with 8 cars...They should consider sending  the (M) to 96st on weekends if its not gonna be on Queens blvd regardless of whats going on with the (L)...It get's good ridership from my experience 

13 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

Well they mind as well just send it to 96st with 8 cars...They should consider sending  the (M) to 96st on weekends if its not gonna be on Queens blvd regardless of whats going on with the (L)...It get's good ridership from my experience 

I agree with that. I’d rather have the (M) run to 96th street which provides a one seat ride through Midtown. Nobody should have to get off at Essex and wait for the (F) unless they are boosting service on that line. The additonal service on Broadway and Astoria can honestly be provided by providing more (N) service. 

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 1:54 PM, R68OnBroadway said:

How much work would be needed to turn City Hall lower into a functional terminal? I know the platforms are only 480 ft, but the crossover is set back (you would only use the island platform as 3 tracks is overkill). 

Also, how many trains could you turn there? (You would probably only turn 6-8 though if you had 30 TPH on Broadway local.)

A lot. The lower level is completely bare-bones with only a minimalistic set of platforms and one access point via the in-service upper level platform. Unlike Bergen St, in which the lower level actually did see active service for some time before being abandoned, City Hall was never actually placed into service as the plans changed during construction. Only the tracks are well maintained to facilitate post-rush hour layups. In order to get the station completely passenger-ready, those platforms would have to be completely rebuilt and new exits would have to be installed for better passenger flow. All of this would have to be ADA-compliant as this would fall under a major renovation.

It would be much more likely that the lower level would just be used to relay trains terminating at Canal St, but that would just replicate the problems of Forest Hills, where through-running service gets trapped behind terminating trains, so that's ill-advised in my opinion.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 11:22 PM, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

The old R46 paint reminds me of the LIRR M1/M3. Looks fly. 

That was intentional. The MTA corporate scheme of the late '60s onwards was implemented on the buses and trains to illustrate the unification of the various transit systems under the MTA umbrella.

11 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I agree with that. I’d rather have the (M) run to 96th street which provides a one seat ride through Midtown. Nobody should have to get off at Essex and wait for the (F) unless they are boosting service on that line. The additonal service on Broadway and Astoria can honestly be provided by providing more (N) service. 

The purpose of the extended M is to provide alternate service during the partial Canarsie closure, not to provide additional 6th Avenue service. If the L is running its normal route, under these circumstances, there's no reason for the M to run to midtown.