SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The FIND's on the 160s say that Flushing Ave on the (G) is wheelchair accessible :lol:  I like the fact it lists the (F) as an transfer at Hoyt, (F) to Euclid program does the same with the (G) at Hoyt, thought that was an nice touch. 

Yeah. Apparently, the (G) is much more accessible than I previously thought. 21 Street, Flushing Av, 15 St-Prospect Park - we need to alert Cuomo so he can officially open the new elevators at these stations.

Regarding the transfers, they finally realized the only time the (F) does run to Euclid Av is when the (G) runs to Stillwell Av. Sometimes, they actually do get things right.

I went down the station with my friend and a 96 Street-bound (Q) had just pulled out. Then 3 more came. Then a Brooklyn-bound (Q) came barreling down honking the horn and skipped our stop. some 5~10 minutes later, another (Q) came and made the stop.

It was not immediately following the battery train.

Oh it was skipping going downtown. Probably because the downtown gap in service was so large it had to catch up.

Something I don't understand, is why it seems so many people want to see 28th Street on the Lexington Line closed. It is #59 out of 425 in terms of ridership, with 7.2 million passengers entering in 2015. Where do you expect these people to go? Both 33rd Street and 23rd Street have higher ridership than 28th, and adding even more passengers will only overcrowd the platforms there.

Battery runs on the (Q) skipping the busiest station on the line? What idiot thought that was gonna be a good idea?

Probably to balance crowding further down the line. The late train probably picked up approximately the same number of passengers it would've picked up had it been on time, and stopped at all the stations on 2nd Avenue, so to avoid overcrowding once it gets to Times Square & Herald Square, they probably thought it would be better to just skip 72nd Street and let the following train handle it. If the next train came 5 minutes later, it sounds like the first train skipped both 86th & 72nd Street, and the following train picked up passengers at both stations (plus the lag time in leaving 96th Street) so that sounds about right.

Something I don't understand, is why it seems so many people want to see 28th Street on the Lexington Line closed. It is #59 out of 425 in terms of ridership, with 7.2 million passengers entering in 2015. Where do you expect these people to go? Both 33rd Street and 23rd Street have higher ridership than 28th, and adding even more passengers will only overcrowd the platforms there.

Distance to other stations. It's close to other stations on both sides. If they built a north entrance to 23rd Street, it would be 2 blocks from the south entrance of 28th Street inside the New York Life building. While not the shortest distance between stations, there's no major destination at either one, it's easy to walk between them and closing it would speed things up/increase capacity on the Lex. 33rd Street is only 4 blocks north as well. Both 23rd and 33rd rank above 28th.

Distance to other stations. It's close to other stations on both sides. If they built a north entrance to 23rd Street, it would be 2 blocks from the south entrance of 28th Street inside the New York Life building. While not the shortest distance between stations, there's no major destination at either one, it's easy to walk between them and closing it would speed things up/increase capacity on the Lex. 33rd Street is only 4 blocks north as well. Both 23rd and 33rd rank above 28th.

To add on, the IRT lines used to only have 5-car local trains, so the stations were half the size of today's stops; hence each stop only had one entrance/exit. Nowadays, stations span 3 normal blocks, so intuitively it makes more sense to build entrances at each end of the station. Moreover, math dictates that placing stations one kilometer apart (roughly 10-14 blocks) gives the best balance of speed and service catchment.

As for 28 St, the biggest benefit of closing the stop would be to remove the 45 second penalty of stopping there, which will increase the effective capacity of the (6) by reducing potential delays. Building additional exits at the two adjacent stations would also make 28 St redundant, since 33 and 23 Sts would only be 6 blocks apart from each other at maximum.

My personal stance is that 28 St needs to remain open due to its high ridership, but the proposal to close it can be revisited if/when SAS Phase 3 is open and ridership at the Lexington Ave local stops is expected to decline. 

Agreed. Forcing the riders from 28 Street over to 33 Street and 23 Street is ill-advised. Regardless of any perceived benefits from the removal of the stop, the additional riders at both alternate stations will immediately negate any time savings gained.

Using the existing footprint of the 23 Street station, the farthest one could construct another exit would be on 24th Street. Anything else would require a costly extension of the platforms on par with the much more necessary extension at Bleecker St. Also, keep in mind that the primary entrances for the 28 Street station are actually on 28th Street. As the New York Life Building entrances are 1) downtown only and 2) part-time entrances, they cannot count towards the overall walking distance. For most current users of 28 Street, the closure of that station will add an additional four-block walk to whatever their commute already is.

Regarding the usage ranks, while 28 Street ranks lower than its neighboring stations, at 59th most used, it does see its fare share of daily riders. Shifting those riders to other stations will not speed up the (6).

To add on, the IRT lines used to only have 5-car local trains, so the stations were half the size of today's stops; hence each stop only had one entrance/exit. Nowadays, stations span 3 normal blocks, so intuitively it makes more sense to build entrances at each end of the station. Moreover, math dictates that placing stations one kilometer apart (roughly 10-14 blocks) gives the best balance of speed and service catchment.

As for 28 St, the biggest benefit of closing the stop would be to remove the 45 second penalty of stopping there, which will increase the effective capacity of the (6) by reducing potential delays. Building additional exits at the two adjacent stations would also make 28 St redundant, since 33 and 23 Sts would only be 6 blocks apart from each other at maximum.

My personal stance is that 28 St needs to remain open due to its high ridership, but the proposal to close it can be revisited if/when SAS Phase 3 is open and ridership at the Lexington Ave local stops is expected to decline. 

The IND stations have entrances spanning multiple blocks like that. For the former IRT and BMT lines, there are many stations, especially local ones, that still have their exits on the eponymous street. Also, a distance of just six blocks can seem like a marathon for those who don't or can't walk that additional distance.

The removal of the stations at 18th Street and 91th Street made sense as the next station was only two blocks away with the expanded platforms and new exits at 96 Street and Union Square respectively. The removal of 28 Street and the addition of four blocks under the best of circumstances does not compare. Perhaps the issue will change upon the arrival of the lower half of the Second Avenue line, but with the second phase expected to take over a decade at least, we might have to wait a while to see those expected results.

I thought the  (MTA) and police dept was cracking down on these subway dancers on trains...Yesterday on the  (L) i almost got into a fight with one of them for nearly kicking my so in the face with they ridiculous moves on crowded train....Then coming back more of them dancing at least twice before we even got to manhattan...They need to do something about this before someone seriously gets hurt...

Why does it take 20 minutes for an (F) to go from Jamaica 179th to Kew Gardens according to the schedule?

i'm almost certain that it is just an error the (MTA) made on the printed timetable for the (F) line. last time I rode that line on a regular weekday morning rush hour, it took 7 minutes for me right before i switched over to the (E) line that was already waiting across the platform after it arrived at the same time with my (F) train that i switched from.

I rode one of the (N) trips scheduled to go to 96th, which was signed up to 57 St, but actually terminated there. There was a mention of a "stalled train" at 72nd, so I guess they didn't want it getting caught in the mess. It sucks, since I was looking forward to going all the way up.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

Oh oh, speaking of countdown clocks. Here's an interesting question: Does anybody know why at West Farms sq-east tremont avenue on the (2) and (5), the very last countdown clock on the southbound side has a different font. Is that a test or something?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I rode one of the (N) trips scheduled to go to 96th, which was signed up to 57 St, but actually terminated there. There was a mention of a "stalled train" at 72nd, so I guess they didn't want it getting caught in the mess. It sucks, since I was looking forward to going all the way up.

The third track’s absence strikes again!

I'd like to throw a few things out there, about the SAS and all rail transit in the city. I've seen all the hoopla about the (Q) extension up Second Avenue and I'm happy for the residents up there who now have another option for their commutes. Those of you who have read my posts in the SAS thread itself do know that I'm not overwhelmed by some of the (MTA) phases of construction as well as those railfans who have some sort of fixation about an 125th St crosstown line. Let me say that I've been a transit fan for a very long time. Harry Truman was POTUS when I was born. I made my first solo trips when Ike was POTUS so try to understand where I'm coming from. For all of this " new " construction some people get so excited about I've lived through the other side. A ( so far) 3 station SAS might make a good story to some folks but I haven't forgotten that service was taken away from those UES residents by a city and a transit agency who seemed to care more about real estate then they did about the actual residents who lived there. In my lifetime the whole center section of the Bronx and the East Side of Manhattan  lost the Third Avenue El. I bet those oldtimers like myself are overjoyed to see this new SAS open. Oh, wait, it doesn't do diddly for them does it? Here we have a subway desert in the middle of a populous borough like the Bronx yet I see some posters pushing for a crosstown link of the SAS instead. As a Brooklynite who grew up with no real love for the Bronx it disgusts me that some people from the (MTA) bigwigs down to my fellow posters can be so blind to the obvious. Going back in time I can see why the Sixth and Ninth Avenue Els were demolished because subways were built to replace them. Likewise in Brooklyn the BMT Fulton Street line was replaced by it's IND counterpart which was constructed below it. Those Els were torn down concurrent with or after the subway was in place. The Second and Third Avenue Els were torn down with no replacement. That guaranteed the remaining (4) and (5) trains would be crowded before they entered northern Manhattan and it's my opinion that the 3 new stations on Second Avenue won't siphon off enough riders to make a real difference in the passenger loads. I don't think the extension to 125th St will make much difference either. Most commuters value time in my experience and are not going to leave a train unless it's a cross platform transfer for the most part. With the ESA project coming to completion in a few years it's my opinion that the (4), (5), and (6) will remain crowded for the near term future. You need a phase 3 and a phase 4 to make a dent in that. Let me finish my rant by pointing out that I've seen the Myrtle, Lexington, Culver Els in Brooklyn, and the Third Avenue in the Bronx vanish in my lifetime. For every Queensbridge, Roosevelt Island, Lenox Terminal, Fulton Transit Center or Hudson Yards the (MTA) or some rail fans tout I'll point out that I've set foot in more stations than the (MTA) even has planned so no amount of PR can snow me or many people my age. New and shiny doesn't impress a skeptic like me. BTW I'm still waiting for that deadend at Jamaica Center to resume construction. My priority would be toward people who lost their transit options like the East Side and the Bronx or those who never had the option (after being promised ) like Archer Avenue, Utica Avenue, Throgs Neck,  Bayside, or the Borough of Richmond. Those folks I haven't mentioned are welcome to take a spot at the very end of the line. Carry on.

i'm almost certain that it is just an error the (MTA) made on the printed timetable for the (F) line. last time I rode that line on a regular weekday morning rush hour, it took 7 minutes for me right before i switched over to the (E) line that was already waiting across the platform after it arrived at the same time with my (F) train that i switched from.

what about at late nights?