MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say during the rush, put one on.

The turn after the first stop going back to Jamaica takes up to much space for the OG and imagine an XD60. And that turn going on to South Rd. Basically the 112 route turn are too tight for me

The turn after the first stop going back to Jamaica takes up to much space for the OG and imagine an XD60. And that turn going on to South Rd. Basically the 112 route turn are too tight for me

How is it "too tight" if the articulated has the same 44-foot turning radius as a standard bus?

Artics can make the same turns but they need more space setting up to make that turn. For a q112 artic to make those turns by Rockaway and Liberty it would have to take up the right and most of the left lane on Rockaway Blvd to make that right at that little pass thru unto Liberty ave to avoid mounting the curb then to make that right onto Liberty Ave it needs to stay left and make a wide right onto Liberty Ave. The standard buses are having problems there now so put an artic and it just multiply the problems.

Artics can make the same turns but they need more space setting up to make that turn. For a q112 artic to make those turns by Rockaway and Liberty it would have to take up the right and most of the left lane on Rockaway Blvd to make that right at that little pass thru unto Liberty ave to avoid mounting the curb then to make that right onto Liberty Ave it needs to stay left and make a wide right onto Liberty Ave. The standard buses are having problems there now so put an artic and it just multiply the problems.

Thank you some agrees

For those that have been wondering why there have been no recent updates, it's because things have been changing on a constant basis, and I wanted to wait until I had all the puzzle pieces before I made a major update. So here we go!

A.) The next order for NFI and Nova Option 40 foot buses has officially been put on hold for several reasons. If you all remember when the contract first came out, MTA initially said they would likely place an order for options with delivery in the second quarter of 2016. It is now June, which means it is the last month of the quarter, and as of today, MTA doesn't plan on putting them on the books at the next board meeting. Well why is that??

B.) Anyone been wondering why on Earth Quill has 93/94/9500 series buses? or why ENY lost all it's RTS buses, then got some back? Remember about 6 months ago I said the ish was gonna hit the fan with the RTS fleet, and it would get interesting?? Well guess what people. The MTA has decided to place certain RTS buses all over the city (with the exception of SI) in order to immediately re-evaluate the entire fleet. So that means we just pushed the final retirement date further into 2019. If the evaluation overall is in favor of the RTS, we rock out through 2020. If not, MTA will issue a "Notice to Proceed" to both NFI and Nova for addition options soon. However, the options have inevitably been pushed back anyway as the contracts need to be amended a bit to allow for WiFi and USB ports. Not only that, but the finalized 40 foot scheme has to be tested out on a bus of each model before its approved.  In the meanwhile, EC keeps its 99 Nova's, and this no longer appears to be a temporary assignment. I expect 3 more to head up there inevitably to replace those Orion V's. As older RTS buses are retired, about 70% of the fleet are pounding the pavement daily with hardly an issue at all. The older 30% are going to have to go soon, and this is what the MTA is focusing on in this area. When do we say today is the day...... Retirement has been extended at least 3 times now and the newest buses will likely out last a few of the first OG hybrids, and all of the OG CNG's.

C.) MTA's new immediate focus is articulated buses. Where and how many are the questions. 139 XD60's and 92 Nova's have been inked, and be on the lookout for 110 XN60's. The details are near complete, and the order will be on the books publicly soon. I am hearing the order could have options, which would mean the ONLY place we could fit them are Spring Creek and College Point.  :ph34r:  MTA is also looking into when the next 29 and 24 buses respectively should be ordered for MTA bus. Because nothing is official, there is room to play. The new strategy going forward is to order enough artics to cover all basis. That way, while the MTA evaluates where the remaining RTS, and displaced hybrids go, they still have 690 options available to cover the other end at any time. 

D.) Speaking of all this artics, the 60 foot BYD electric bus will return with a few modifications, and the MTA will go from there with an evaluation. MTA is keeping the lid on this one, but they are in the wings evaluating everyones electric offerings. I expect to see more pop up on the property over the next 24-36 months.

E.) Hybrids. There are currently 2 qualified builders, yet only 1 qualified powertrain. As we go forward in the future the MTA will evaluate the new BAE and Allison systems extensively. Unless something changes, all of the 75 new hybrids will go to Manhattanville.

F.) WiFi and outlets. By the end of 2017, 18 buses in Manhattan, 70 in Brooklyn, 75 in Queens, and 209 buses in the Bronx will have the new features. This will be a combination of both new buses, and retrofitted buses. If MTA decides to confirm 40 options and up to 53 more XD60's, these numbers will increase. 

Thats definitely true for most part, and I would definitely agree for drivers new to articulated buses, but I could make that turn with no problem, and not much set-up needed at all.... At 44 inches, the XD actually has a slightly tighter turning radius than the Nova's 44.8 inches. And they still both stretch a bit more than that before they lock up.  ;)

Edited by East New York

Would it be a good idea to make the Q60 an Arctic route, especially now that JFK received the New XD60s?

service level does warrant artics. more like the q9 mabe eventally

Only enough for the Q10. One or two pop up on the Q7 but thats about it.

Eventually the conversion of the Q60 will happen, according to this post in January as well as a few more converted routes that some may have forgotten:

Well, this is the thing. With a massive sudden increase in the number of artics wanted at MTAB, this shakes things up quite a bit.

From what I am being told, MTA wants the Q6, 8, 10, 23, 25, 52, 53, 60, 64, 65, 66, 111, 113, and 114 lines to eventually be articulated......

So as of right now, it appears the artics for MTA Bus will start off for the Q6, Q10, Q23, Q25/65, Q52/53, Q60, Q111, Q113, and Q114.

The ones that asked about the Q110. I'm current on it, bus 5398. 5399 is about 4 minutes behind us too.

As far as the Q60, it is very possible that it could see articulated service at some point. The lines I previously listed we being evaluated. Not only that, but I guarantee you the line will see it one day. For those that said it doesn't warrant artics, those statements couldn't be more false. It's the 6th heaviest used BC route!

And the Q9??? How? All the routes I mentioned in the quoted text have greater ridership numbers... The 9 doesn't even make the top 20.

I've only drove the new flyers but didn't they eliminate the xd60 from locking up like the old dh60.

Yes they aren't like the old ones but if you hit a corner hard enough u will get a warning in the feel and sound. It's a lot harder now, but still possible.

Is ENY going to still send the nova bus lfs to JA depot because this has been dragging on for a long time.And whats with Ja having the old lfs still and qv having 8470 to 8480.

MTA is re-evaluating the fleet now so that could change depending on the outcome of the RTS placements. Edited by East New York