SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

On 6/24/2018 at 10:54 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That is hilarious. I don't like the R68s either, but even I wouldn't wait that long for a train.  I find them dirtier than the newer trains, but I just stand anyway so it doesn't matter.  You should be counting your lucky stars that you weren't met with some homeless person.  They LOVE the newer cars.

I always wait for the R160s when waiting for the (N)(W) which is why I always give myself an extra hour of travel time. I outright REFUSE to ride the old trains knowing I have a probability of getting the NTT train.

Edited by darkstar8983

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

I always wait for the R160s when waiting for the (N)(W) which is why I always give myself an extra hour of travel time. I outright REFUSE to ride the old trains knowing I have a probability of getting the NTT train.

Just imagine if this guy had to go somewhere along the (A)(B)(D)(R)(1) or (6) lines... 

8 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

Why do some people dislike older subway cars and prefer NTTs?

Funny thing is, most regular riders don't care as long as the train gets them from point A to point B in a timely manner, and the A/C works, etc.

Railfans, it's a grudge against certain transit vehicles... now I totally understand avoiding certain transit vehicles while fanning (I do that myself sometimes), but doing it during your actual commute is just silly. Some of these transit fans are so soft, like you really can't handle riding an old Train? Millions of New Yorkers do that every day without an issue.

18 hours ago, RR503 said:

This, I believe, is for the new AM turn between Bednos and Court Square. They needed to add frequency to reduce exit surges at the latter station while moving walkway removal is going on. 

What time is the trip?

3 hours ago, P3F said:

Just imagine if this guy had to go somewhere along the (A)(B)(D)(R)(1) or (6) lines... 

Actually I have to commute to 77 St and Lex every day, so I take the (N) to 59 St-Lexington Av and give myself a good 18 block walk. So that’s good exercise. As for when I have to commute to other places that may require the aforementioned lines, I’ll just ride to a “nearby” stop and walk the distance.

also just to avoid the (L) to get to Bedford, i use the (N) —> (7) —> (G) * (necessary evil to avoid the (L) and hipsters).

End of my ranting regarding being selective/prejudiced.

Edited by darkstar8983

10 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Actually I have to commute to 77 St and Lex every day, so I take the (N) to 59 St-Lexington Av and give myself a good 18 block walk. So that’s good exercise. As for when I have to commute to other places that may require the aforementioned lines, I’ll just ride to a “nearby” stop and walk the distance.

also just to avoid the (L) to get to Bedford, i use the (N) —> (7) —> (G) * (necessary evil to avoid the (L) and hipsters).

Do you ever get anywhere in this city when you'll only use a fraction of the transport provided to you?

11 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Why don’t you take the (Q) to 72 or 86 Sts?

8 minutes ago, officiallyliam said:

Do you ever get anywhere in this city when you'll only use a fraction of the transport provided to you?

Actually I can get pretty much anywhere that I need to go, just allowing myself extra travel time so I am not late for anything 

Edited by darkstar8983

27 minutes ago, officiallyliam said:

A few months ago when the R32s got displaced to the (A) from the (J), I entered the Far Rockaway-Mott Av station platform at 9:17AM to get on my 9:23AM train to my work in Lower Manhattan. There was an R32 sitting in the station scheduled to leave at 9:23AM and there was another R32 pulling into the station scheduled to leave at 9:43AM. I wanted to avoid the R32s at that time so I decided to take the 9:23AM train to Beach 60 St. I then transferred to the Q52 SBS and took it to Queens Blvd/Woodhaven Blvd. I then transferred to the (R) train (R46) at Woodhaven Blvd and took it to Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av. I then took the (F) train (R160) to Lexington Av-63 St. I then did the walk to Lexington Av/59 St. I then took the (4) train (R142) to Wall St. I got to work about an hour late.

Edited by EphraimB
Grammer

8 minutes ago, EphraimB said:

A few months ago when the R32s got displaced to the (A) from the (J), I entered the Far Rockaway-Mott Av station platform at 9:17AM to get on my 9:23AM train to my work in Lower Manhattan. There was an R32 sitting in the station scheduled to leave at 9:23AM and there was another R32 pulling into the station scheduled to leave at 9:43AM. I wanted to avoid the R32s at that time so I decided to take the 9:23AM train to Beach 60 St. I then transferred to the Q52 SBS and took it to Queens Blvd/Woodhaven Blvd. I then transferred to the (R) train (R46) at Woodhaven Blvd and took it to Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av. I then took the (F) train (R160) to Lexington Av-63 St. I then did the walk to Lexington Av/59 St. I then took the (4) train (R142) to Wall St. I got to work about an hour late.

Thats really insane and too far right there. I mean its one thing to do it for railfanning purposes but taking that gamble while going to work is really crazy especially since you got there an hour late.

25 minutes ago, EphraimB said:

I, (along with probably plenty of other people on the forums), would likely be RUNNING for that R32 (A) . I understand you like the AC and the bright lights and whatever, but this is way too far. The fact that you’re late to work because you CLEARLY took a circuitous route is insane. Imagine what would happen if the (A) had all the R32s and the r42s replaced the r160s on the (R) .Whatchya gonna do? Please rethink.

8 hours ago, EphraimB said:

What is with your ad-hominem addiction with avoiding the R32s? Does it really matter if a train on said line is old or new? It's a train for crying out loud. 

And the fact that you took a very-circuitous route to get to work an hour late on purpose is very hypocritical and embarrassing. If you got on that R32, you would've been on time to work! Think about it, did you really think you were gonna be on time if you zigzagged all over the place and transferred, as opposed to a one-seat ride on an old R32 without a transfer? No, you wouldn't, which just proves this decision of yours was very clearly intentional. Besides, you already had to take the R32 to Beach 60 St, so what's the pain of staying on it a mere dozen of stops?

The R32s will only be gone once the base order of the R211s is completed. Period. Until then, don't use this example of idiocy and just accept the fact that you'll have to deal with the R32s for now. And think twice before you make an insane decision like this one, please. 

Edited by Coney Island Av

14 hours ago, bwwnyc123 said:

Why do some people dislike older subway cars and prefer NTTs?

Because NTTs are superior to older cars in every single way, faster, less breakdowns, brighter interiors, wider doors, clear automated announcements, more glass and not fat-looking.

11 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

10 hours ago, EphraimB said:

I still do my best to avoid the R42s and R44s at all costs due to my extreme hate for them. When the (A) used R32s, R38s, and R44s in 2007-08, I would always wait for an R32 or R38 or just take the (C) instead. When the sleeky and shiny R32s were replaced by the rusted and ugly R42s on the (A), I just avoided riding it until the R32s and R46s returned and the R44s finally retired. thankfully. When the same thing happened to the (E), I would always wait for an R32 until January 2009 when the (E) became mostly R40M/42s, then I just avoided that service until it became all R160s the following summer. I remember riding an R42 (F) in March 2009 for 20 minutes from 18th Avenue to Jay Street and it was so horrible, the only thing that kept me from losing my mind was the miserable look on everyone else's faces. Now when an R42 shows up on the (J),  unless I am in a real hurry or only going a couple of stops, I would wait for the next train, which is likely not an R42. Same with the R46s on the (F). I have also stopped riding the (6) entirely since those crappy R62As replaced the awesome R142As, taking away my two favorite automated announcements. A service that used to be one of my favorites is now one of the worst. I just take the (4)(5) to the nearest express stop and walk and use Lexington Avenue-63rd Street to get to school despite its depth and long escalators as the (F) and (Q) are mostly and all R160s, respectively. 

Edited by FlushingExpress